Adelaide Technical Camera Services - very happy customer!

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Adelaide Technical Camera Services - very happy customer!

Postby nat on Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:41 pm

A good news story.......

To cut a long story short, there was an unfortunate incident the other day where my D70s + 18-70 kit lens hit a concrete driveway, lens first. Thankfully, nothing but the UV filter was damaged!!
I decided to take it into Adelaide Technical Camera Services on Halifax street to get it checked over just the same. Thankfully all was well with the body & lens (huge sigh of relief!! (and from my wife too!! lol)).

I just wanted to say that the service I received from Adelaide Technical Camera Services was first rate. He thoroughly checked over my camera (taking about 15-20mins) and gave it a good clean while I waited. I went in expecting to have to be without my camera for a few days AT LEAST!
Again, excellent service and I highly recommend Adelaide Technical Camera Services to you all.

Cheers,
Nat
nat

Postby BBJ on Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:56 pm

Nat, Hijimme is on the ball when it comes to things like this and i know when i come to Adelaide and have had him check things out on my old D70 and even the compact flash card door rubber coming on my D2X he fixed it there on the spot.
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby robw25 on Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:49 pm

john
how did he fix the door ?

cheers rob
robw25

Postby BBJ on Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:30 am

robw25 wrote:john
how did he fix the door ?

cheers rob

Rob, he replaced the door.Doh!!!!
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby Marvin on Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:32 am

Wow, that's great service and good to know. Thanks for that info Nat.
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby ggena on Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:48 pm

Can you please advise the address and the price you pay for checking your camera?

Thank you
ggena

Postby fozzie on Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:25 pm

ggena - Nikon Service Centre in Adelaide is:

Adelaide Technical Camera Service,
Level 1,
163 Halifax Street,
Adelaide,
SA. 5000

Phone: 8224 0321
Fax : 8224 0321

Suggest you ring Mr. Hajime Niijima on the above number, and ask for a quote on the work you want carried out.
Office Hours: Monday - Friday and 9am-5pm.
Also he requires payment in Cash, no Credit Cards.

fozzie

ggena wrote:Can you please advise the address and the price you pay for checking your camera?

Thank you
Last edited by fozzie on Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby aussichef on Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:40 am

I found great & quick service there too
lovely soft spoken man
cleanned my sensor under warrany for free on the spot
although i didn ring ahead the day before & asked when i could bring it in lol
if everyone gave service like this wow just think old fashioned service a thing of the past in most parts
warren
aka aussichef
Nikon D50/D80 Nikon,MB-D80 70-200 2.8 VR,Sigma 18-50 2.8, Kenko 1.4x TC, 2 kit lenses ,Nikon 50mm f1.8 Nikon SB-600 Tamron 90mm 2.8 Canon 500D closeup lens
aussichef

Location: Port Vincent , and Tanunda South Australia,Australia

Re: Adelaide Technical Camera Services - very happy customer!

Postby threesongs on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:03 pm

I can't say that i have had good service from ATC.

Took my sb-600 + receipt + warranty card into the store just under a month ago - pointed out that the warranty card said international / worldwide explicitly.

doesnt ring me to say he had to send it off to sydney and will take about 1 month to repair and then i call today - and he says the warranty is only usa, when i clearly pointed out to him it says worldwide - so nothing has been done yet. not happy jan!
threesongs

Postby fozzie on Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:02 pm

threesongs,

Nikon agent in Adelaide, Adelaide Technical Camera Services is a joke. If only Mr. Hajime Niijima could understand/speak better English. I have come to the conclusion while conversing with him, that Yes = No, and No = Yes.

fozzie
fozzie
Key Member

Postby jamesw on Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:54 pm

fozzie wrote:threesongs,

Nikon agent in Adelaide, Adelaide Technical Camera Services is a joke. If only Mr. Hajime Niijima could understand/speak better English. I have come to the conclusion while conversing with him, that Yes = No, and No = Yes.

fozzie

yes

i agree

expectation management is not great with him
body: nikon d200, d70s, f4s, f601.
lens:nikon 35-70mm f2.8, 70-300mm f4-5.6, 10.5mm f2.8, 20mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8.
flash: nikon sb600, sunpak 383 (x1), sunpak 555 (x4), pocketwizard plus II (x4)
jamesdwade.com
dishonourclothing.com
jamesw

Postby beetleboy on Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:56 am

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents as I also have had bad experiences with this fella.

It doesn't help that his English is bad (I know, my Mandarin ain't so hot - but I don't live in China!) he also barely even attempts to communicate. Every time I've dealt with him the conversation has been almost entirely made up of questions he can answer with a 'yes' or 'no' and even then you don't really know what he means!

I had a back-focussing lens (or two) and he tested it while I waited and proceeded to show me how my lens WAS bf'ing by about 2cm but that was within Nikon guidelines! 2cm! What a joke!
beetleboy

Postby jamesw on Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:22 am

I think the problem is communication.

If you have a simple problem, one that he can probably do on the spot without the need for spare parts, you won't have an issue.

Once Nikon's spare parts division comes into the mix, and your problem is a little more technical, the communication barrier really becomes an issue and everything goes a bit haywire. I've had a problem with his service previously, he wasn't even returning calls to my insurance company. That's a whole other topic that has already been discussed at length on this forum.
body: nikon d200, d70s, f4s, f601.
lens:nikon 35-70mm f2.8, 70-300mm f4-5.6, 10.5mm f2.8, 20mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8.
flash: nikon sb600, sunpak 383 (x1), sunpak 555 (x4), pocketwizard plus II (x4)
jamesdwade.com
dishonourclothing.com
jamesw

Postby threesongs on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:48 am

Still no real progress

Nikon Australia are refusing to honour the warranty despite Nikon USA stating

"You do have a one year worldwide warranty on the SB-600 valid in Australia. Please contact them and advise you checked with Nikon USA and you have a one year worldwide warranty. They will need a copy of that warranty and your sales receipt."

Nikon Australia's, Stephen Castle so called Customer Relations Executive - saying that under the Trade Practices Act - they cant honour the warranty as Nikon Australia can't guarantee the goods are of "merchantable quality". I have done commercial law @ uni - and the TPA can only imply additional terms into the contract - not take them away - the original contract to provide a world wide warranty should still stand! ARGH even if they did fix it - it would still be another 3+ weeks!
threesongs

Re: Adelaide Technical Camera Services very NOT happy customer!

Postby bob_cc on Wed May 28, 2008 4:07 pm

very NOT happy

I had the owner of Adelaide Technical Camera Services physically scream at me yesterday before hanging up on me!

I own a 28mm Nikkor PC lens that was upgraded to run a matrix chip so it can be used on modern film and digi SLR's. I worked with maxwell in sydney on this about 3 years ago and purchased a FPC from the 28-80 AF lens. While at work recently the FPC was damaged and I rang Adelaide Technical Camera Services to order a replacment.
After asking for a quote and est time of supply for part number 1B060-679 (nikon part number) I was asked who was going to "recalibrate" the lens as the FPC needs to be re-aligned with the appeture and focal brushes. I made the mistake of saying that I was installing the print, however due to the lens it would not require re-calibration. The owner proceded to scream at me stating that Nikon does not allow modifications of it's equipment - that any modification is illeagal and how dare I call requesting a genuine nikon part

maybe a simple "no - i cannot order that part for you as it violates nikons terms of use" would have been sufficient

what an excelent ambassador of the Nikon brand this person is - bravo!
bob_cc

Re: Adelaide Technical Camera Services very NOT happy customer!

Postby gstark on Wed May 28, 2008 4:23 pm

Hi Bob, and welcome.

People here will tell you that I'm not exactly the greatest fan of many aspects of Nikon Oz's operations here. However ...

bob_cc wrote:what an excelent ambassador of the Nikon brand this person is - bravo!

No, I don't see this in that light.

He is an ambassador of ATCS, and that is whom he was representing in your call with him. Unless you happen to also know that he was an employee of Nikon Oz.

As to what you were doing being illegal ... he might not have liked it, and yes, it might even have been in contravention of some arcane terms of use, but ...

If the lens in question was owned by you, then you absolutely have a say in whom you might select to use to effect repairs to that lens, and I can't for the life of me think of any Ts&Cs that might dictate to an owner how a product must be used.

You might void a service contract.

You might void a warranty.

So bloody what: that's none of his business.

But again, all that said, unless you know that he was acting as an employee or direct agent of Nikon, he really was probably only acting on his own behalf.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Adelaide and Perth