What to do in Perth, Thursday 9.10.08?

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

What to do in Perth, Thursday 9.10.08?

Postby DaveB on Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:24 am

Because of the timing of East->West flights I'm going to have most of Thursday free in Perth.
Once I've dropped my bag off at my hotel I can spend a while wandering around the city/Northbridge/Kings Park. But are there any nearby "photo jems" I should think about visiting? Apart from anything else I'm trying to work out how much gear I'll take. Probably just one body with one or two (wide to short tele) lenses and maybe a tripod.
I need to be back in Northbridge at the end of the day, but I've got at least a few hours to kill.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
DaveB

Re: What to do in Perth, Thursday 9.10.08?

Postby BullcreekBob on Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:11 pm

Dave

I'm doing nothing (the joy of being *retired*). I'll gladly pick you up, so to speak, be your guide and have a mini photoshoot; and still have you back where you need to be when you need to be.

The weather forecast is fine, sunny and 25. Sure the obvious tourist stuff like Kings Park and Northbridge is fine but Freo is really the place to be. Better streets, interesting buildings, ocean, boats, boardwalks, rivers, pubs, cafes, museums, better looking people, etc...
BullcreekBob

Postby the afro guy on Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:48 pm

agreed on the freo side of things. but wind your way around the river getting there (north side) and then down the coast when you get to cott
the afro guy

Postby DaveB on Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:25 pm

Thanks Bob, I think I'll take you up on that offer!

Left to myself I'd probably avoid Freo, but maybe what I need is a local guide. My recollections of it (last there in 2006) are of things like awkward parking, some touristy things I've seen too many times, a nice bookstore, and lots of streetpath coffee places. Presumably there's more there for me to find. For example I've never found a good view of the ocean there, but maybe I just didn't look in the right places!
Are the ospreys flying along the Canning River at the moment? Maybe I should put a longer lens in the bag just in case? If you've got a car I know where to find them if they're there.

My flight from Melbourne is scheduled to arrive 9:40am Thursday, and I need to be at my hotel in the CBD late afternoon. Apart from that I'm as free as a bird. We can sort out details via PM, but I can fill in time at either end of the day to suit your schedule.
Is there anyone else interested in meeting up?

Thanks!
DaveB

Postby the afro guy on Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:31 am

yeah i'm possibly keen to meet up. not sure what i'm doing on thursday yet! yay for freelancing!

pm sent to both!
the afro guy

Postby BullcreekBob on Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:35 pm

Yes, just last week I heard the Ospreys were out and about. One of the guys in a local camera club had some superb images.

Dave B, I'm happy to meet at you at the airport and do the chauffering so by all means bring a longer lens.

Afro guy - I'll give you a call soon to work out details on where to find you.

Any others?
BullcreekBob

Postby DaveB on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:11 am

Thanks for the tour of the town Bob!

Unfortunately we didn't hear from Afro guy on the day, and the ospreys weren't around for us, but I got to see lots of the area that I'd missed on previous visits. Apart from giving me a few more images for my collection, it's given me ideas for things to do next time I'm over for a couple of days...

Thanks again!
DaveB

Return to Adelaide and Perth