Diamonds and Monarto

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Diamonds and Monarto

Postby ewm3 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:02 pm

Has anyone else had an invite from Diamonds about a trip to Monarto on 11th January? Looks like a good deal; is anyone going to it?
Eric in Adelaide

Nikon gear but looking for talent...
ewm3

Re: Diamonds and Monarto

Postby bwhatnall on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:30 am

I most certanly am, went in today and paid my $20 for it, cant wait. Been to monarto once before, but never with a borrowed 300mm Nikon f/2.8, now thats gonna be cool :)
Lots of goodies really, lets just say my lenses stretch from 10mm to 500mm with plenty of light at 5fps ;)

My Portfolio - http://www.brookewhatnall.com
bwhatnall

Postby fozzie on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:34 am

Yes I have, plus accepted and paid the $20 cost for the whole day. It is actually on Tuesday 11th November, 2008. An extract from an e-mail, quote 'over $1 million dollars of equipment for you to try' unquote. I am hoping to use a Nikon 600mm f/4 VRII.

fozzie
fozzie
Key Member

Postby ewm3 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:47 pm

Can't believe I wrote January!
Eric in Adelaide

Nikon gear but looking for talent...
ewm3

Postby Big V on Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:51 pm

I am looking forward to the 600 F4 and the 800 F5.6 that Canon will have there. Fozzie, Adam and I went up last week for a look at the new Lion platform to scope it out so to speak.. If it is a hot day, you will need a 17-40mm lens as the female lions and the cubs sit at the base of the platform in the shade, you can almost touch them.
Canon
Big V

Postby robw25 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:30 pm

fozzie wrote:I am hoping to use a Nikon 600mm f/4 VRII.

oh you lucky bastard !!!!!!!!!! i checked my roster and "of course" i'm working

cheers rob
robw25

Postby bwhatnall on Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:58 pm

Really looking foreward to it, hehe, shotgun the second Nikon 600mm if its not taken :)

Do you know if we are able to borrow upgraded bodies, would love a D3 for the day as well?
Lots of goodies really, lets just say my lenses stretch from 10mm to 500mm with plenty of light at 5fps ;)

bwhatnall

Postby fozzie on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:11 pm

bwhatnall - it is my understanding that we will be working in pair's per setup.

I intend on taking my own camera body, and most probably Nikkor AF-S DX 17-55 for the models.

bwhatnall wrote:Really looking foreward to it, hehe, shotgun the second Nikon 600mm if its not taken :)

Do you know if we are able to borrow upgraded bodies, would love a D3 for the day as well?

fozzie
fozzie
Key Member

Postby rookie2 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:03 am

robw25 wrote:
fozzie wrote:I am hoping to use a Nikon 600mm f/4 VRII.

oh you lucky bastard !!!!!!!!!! i checked my roster and "of course" i'm working

cheers rob

ditto here unfortunately..work meetings instead of visiting one of the great open air zoos and learning from the Lion king himself!

Have fun people!

R2
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Rookie2

http://www.DLdigital.smugmug.com
rookie2

Postby bwhatnall on Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:43 am

fozzie wrote:bwhatnall - it is my understanding that we will be working in pair's per setup.

I intend on taking my own camera body, and most probably Nikkor AF-S DX 17-55 for the models.

bwhatnall wrote:Really looking foreward to it, hehe, shotgun the second Nikon 600mm if its not taken :)

fozzie

Aah, sweet, gonna be a great day out, they are saying they will have some models out as well

bwhatnall

Postby Doctor on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:23 pm

How do i get in on this?? Is it possible to get in on it or is it all full?
Life is all about ass, you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one
Doctor

Postby tommyg on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:13 pm

I just rang up Photographic wholesalers to find out the details, and they said 'not a problem'

They will be having a number of buses taking people from outside the convention centre, and it will be an all-day event there.

Cost is only $20, just need to go in to their store and book.

Cheers
Tom
Tom
Red Bubble
TLC Photography
Nikon D810, D700, D90 (IR)
tommyg

Postby Doctor on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:25 pm

Sounds like a good deal to me, will have to go in and inquire tomorrow when i'm camera shopping!

Cheers for the heads up
Life is all about ass, you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one
Doctor

Postby DebT on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:59 am

Hi,
have my seat organised so will see you there
DebT
DebT
"so many dreams - so little time "
DebT

Postby Big V on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:27 pm

Deb it should be a fun day with a few nice surprises thrown in..
Canon
Big V

Postby fozzie on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:50 pm

DebT - well done. Now we will have to find you some Fireman to act as models. Less than 2 week to go, but who is counting :lol:

DebT wrote:Hi,
have my seat organised so will see you there
DebT

fozzie
fozzie
Key Member

Postby Doctor on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:46 pm

Im confused now... Is the Monarto trip in January or in Two weeks time?
Doctor

Postby fozzie on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:53 pm

Doctor - Tuesday 11th November, 2008.

Doctor wrote:Im confused now... Is the Monarto trip in January or in Two weeks time?

fozzie
fozzie
Key Member

Postby Doctor on Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:03 pm

ewm3 wrote:Has anyone else had an invite from Diamonds about a trip to Monarto on 11th January? Looks like a good deal; is anyone going to it?

fozzie wrote:Doctor - Tuesday 11th November, 2008.

fozzie

Now thats why i was confused..... Guess ill have to give this one a miss then :( Would rather be out there with you lot than in an exam room, but i should probably go to my exam lol
Doctor

Postby DanielA on Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:46 pm

Come on everyone. Where are all the pictures from today! :D

I was sorry to miss the outing. I didn't find out about it until too late. Then I heard six bus-loads were going, so I wasn't so sorry anymore.

How was the day?

Daniel, back from travelling...
Nikon D4, D2Xs, D70, Nikkors and Sigmas lenses from 10 to 400mm
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby adame on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:38 pm

Daniel, was a fantastic day even though it was extremley hot....... pics coming i have to go back to work this week im sure someone else will post some.

Cheers
Adam
Please don't use or edit my images.

D200x2, kit lens, Sigma 105mm f2.8, Nikkor 50mm F1.4, SB600, SB800, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Sigma 1.4x TC, 2x TC, Sigma 120-300 f2.8
adame

Postby inmotion on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:50 pm

HI yes it was a great day I will post an image or two but I need to seek some advice on doing so. It was great to use some nikon gear that I am looking at , but the best thing was meeting other Nikon users and swapping gear amoungst us. One lady even offered the loan of a 80-400vr as i am thinking of getting one - how good is that!!!Also a few expressed interest in my old canon gear.Good company Great location , plenty of gear to sample much better than the Adelaide zoo --in motion
inmotion

Postby Doctor on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:55 pm

inmotion wrote:HI yes it was a great day I will post an image or two but I need to seek some advice on doing so. It was great to use some nikon gear that I am looking at , but the best thing was meeting other Nikon users and swapping gear amoungst us. One lady even offered the loan of a 80-400vr as i am thinking of getting one - how good is that!!!Also a few expressed interest in my old canon gear.Good company Great location , plenty of gear to sample much better than the Adelaide zoo --in motion

What gear you got to get rid of? Might be interested :)
Doctor

Postby DebT on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:10 pm

Yes I went I saw and I played ...and now I am dreaming of what to buy next - I had a great day (despite having to wear a Nikon lanyard )..
but nothing really worth posting, shots I took using loan cameras all have some flaw or other (as one could expect playing with something totally new) but I used the day to experiment with different brands and it helped me to decide on my next purchase from the Canon range so I wasn't really focused on the end shots ...
mind you I bet there were some senstaional shots of the models taken by the group so you may see some of them appear
Deb T (Canon)
DebT
DebT

Postby fozzie on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:24 pm

I went solely to try out the Nikkor 400mm f/2.8 VRII, 500mm f/4 VRII and 600mm f/4 VRII in the field. The bonus was that they all had the same camera body attached, Dx3. I have know made up my mind, that I will be purchasing down the track the Nikkor 400mm f/2.8 VRII. Just is more flexible for my style of shooting and with either a TC-14EII or TC-17EII will give me the extra reach, if and when required.

fozzie
Last edited by fozzie on Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby DebT on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:57 pm

Nice shot Fozzie especially the eyes - looks like you have a new challenge

Deb T
DebT
DebT

Postby DanielA on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:10 pm

adame wrote:Daniel, was a fantastic day even though it was extremley hot.......

I imagine there were also just a few people crowding around... Did you have to fight to get access to equipment?

inmotion wrote:One lady even offered the loan of a 80-400vr as i am thinking of getting one - how good is that!!!

That's a great lens. It's my most used lens.

DebT wrote:mind you I bet there were some senstaional shots of the models taken by the group so you may see some of them appear

One of the guys from work went and he enjoyed the models. From the sounds of it the animals stayed away.

fozzie wrote:I went solely to try out the Nikkor 400mm f/2.8 VRII, 500mm f/4 VRII and 600mm f/4 VRII in the field.

Sounds like a nice way to spend the day.

fozzie wrote:I have know made up my mind, that I will be purchasing down the track the Nikkor 400mm f/2.8 VRII.

I have to say I would probably jump straight to the 400mm 2.8 instead of the 300mm. I'd be interested to see it when you get it. :D

Daniel
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby team piggy on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:28 pm

I found access to the top gear pretty good, plenty fo D3's etc going around.Everyone was pretty fair and I didnt see any "hogging" going on (Pig joke) :lol:

Animals were fairly scarce, and a lot of us "underlensed" to save carrying weight, where as some were literally dragging a studio around on their backs!!

The models were great, and put on a sensational effort considering the amount of images that they must have posed for during the day! Considering the animals were pretty scarce they added something nice to shoot :D
D3 | D700 | D300 x 2 | D200 X 2| D70s| 300 2.8VR| 70-200, 2.8VR| 28-70, 2.8|24-70 2.8 | 14-24 2.8 | 50-500| 50, 1.4| 18-200VR| 10.5 Fishy | Batt Grips| SB800 x2 | SB900 |Pocketwizards | Manfrotto's blah blah.
team piggy

Postby DanielA on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:33 pm

team piggy wrote:I found access to the top gear pretty good, plenty fo D3's etc going around.

Sounds nice. I wonder if they got all the gear back. :roll:

I'm sure they will sell a bit of gear after this event. Now that everyone has tried out the expensive stuff...

team piggy wrote:The models were great, and put on a sensational effort considering the amount of images that they must have posed for during the day! Considering the animals were pretty scarce they added something nice to shoot :D

It would have been a long day. I really don't know how that models keep doing it. Much easier behind the lens.

Daniel
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby bwhatnall on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:38 pm

It was an amazing day out, unfortunately I have to give that Nikon Lanyard back :(.

Here are my best 5 shots, hopefully they will stand a small change in the comp.

You can read a full recap here:
http://brookewphoto.wordpress.com/2008/11/12/photographic-wholesalers-monarto-field-day/

bwhatnall

Postby DanielA on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:58 pm

bwhatnall wrote:It was an amazing day out, unfortunately I have to give that Nikon Lanyard back :(.

I'm surprised they didn't let you keep that. :(

bwhatnall wrote:Here are my best 5 shots, hopefully they will stand a small change in the comp.

Great shots. I wonder when they will run this again?

You say you used a "Nikkor 600mm f/2.8". I didn't know they made a f/2.8... Only the f/4. The 2.8 would be massive. :shock:

Daniel
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby potato1 on Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:43 pm

Hey bwhatnall, love the giraffe shot, eye catching compostition! Is there a platform in the giraffe area? (im guessing that wasnt from the bus?)
potato1

Postby bwhatnall on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:28 pm

potato1 wrote:Hey bwhatnall, love the giraffe shot, eye catching compostition! Is there a platform in the giraffe area? (im guessing that wasnt from the bus?)

Thanks for that, yes, they have built a few more viewing platforms at different areas, it is really great, you could get some stunning shots of the animals, even with a 50mm as they come so close.

Yes, it was the f4, I can only hope they make a 2.8 one day

bwhatnall

Postby Big V on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:03 pm

Just a heads up - we are not allowed to publish pictures from the day unless the forms have been filled in. You should have received an email from Ian telling you this.
Canon
Big V

Postby robw25 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:18 pm

Big V wrote:Just a heads up - we are not allowed to publish pictures from the day unless the forms have been filled in. You should have received an email from Ian telling you this.

did you sign something to say you wouldnt show other people your photo's ? i'm confused ! ( dont go there !! )

cheers rob
robw25

Postby Big V on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:42 pm

Rob, we have to get permission from Tanya Powell model agency to use pics of the girls and Monarto for the Zoo pics - was part of the deal.
Canon
Big V

Postby robw25 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:51 pm

Big V wrote:Rob, we have to get permission from Tanya Powell model agency to use pics of the girls and Monarto for the Zoo pics - was part of the deal.

oh i thought it was about the animal pics ... thanxs
robw25

Postby bwhatnall on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:14 am

edited
Last edited by bwhatnall on Sun May 24, 2009 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bwhatnall

Postby Big V on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:56 am

Brook - dont shoot the messenger, just relaying what was said, it is entirely up to you what you do with your photos but it has been pointed out that you do need permission from the zoo if you are to sell any of the shots. Yes they are their animals and you were on their property, wether you play by the rules is up to you.
Canon
Big V

Postby gstark on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:26 am

bwhatnall wrote:That would be rediculous if they tried to retain copyright over the animal shots. They could say that it is their property and their animals, so theoretically they could retain image rights to the animals, but there is no way to prove that the shots were of their animals, as the difference of a girraffe with a blurred background at monarto is any different to a girraffe with a blurred background in afrika, hence most of the wildlfie shots are already up on my shutterstock folio, and are selling nicely :)

Brook,

If the arrangements made for the day means that you needed to sign an agreement, then you need to do the honourable thing and sign and abide by that agreement.

I would also be surprised if any agreement for this sort of day permitted you commercial rights to sell those images; that would be most unusual, and Big V seems to be confirming that this is not permitted.

Additionally, your statement that you have breached those rules, as noted above, is probably not the smartest thing to do: it's a clear admission by you that you're in breach of the agreement, and despite your assertion that "there is no way to prove that the shots were of their animals", you have just stated that they are. As I said, not quite the smartest thing to do, is it? :)

You have now placed me in a difficult position, because, as the owner of this site, you have made me aware of your breach of this agreement. As you know, we respect the IP in the images posted by members here, and as clearly stated in our FAQ, we also need to respect the IP of others as well. The evidence presented by yourself is that you are in reach of our guidelines.

You seriously now need to consider your position.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby bwhatnall on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:23 am

Well I better ask for permission then ;). if they dont give it, I better take down those images, simple ;). I was simply putting the idea out there

bwhatnall

Postby gstark on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:34 am

bwhatnall wrote:Well I better ask for permission then

I believe that would be appropriate.

if they dont give it, I better take down those images, simple.

Essentially, yes.

I was simply putting the idea out there

Given your prior statements ...

bwhatnall wrote: but there is no way to prove that the shots were of their animals, ...... hence most of the wildlfie shots are already up on my shutterstock folio, and are selling nicely :)

I have trouble accepting that you were merely "putting the idea out there".
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby team piggy on Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:14 pm

On a note. I did indeed as did a few others ask in writing for permission from both parties. Not that I was interested in selling anything, more being 100% covered if I decided to post them anywhere.
Not one reply to any of us to date...... From what I have heard no-one has been granted permisiion form the Zoo or Tania Powells as of yet.. Food for thought.

(The details were commercial usage or sales as well) I think posting here should be passable, but then maybe not.? :?
D3 | D700 | D300 x 2 | D200 X 2| D70s| 300 2.8VR| 70-200, 2.8VR| 28-70, 2.8|24-70 2.8 | 14-24 2.8 | 50-500| 50, 1.4| 18-200VR| 10.5 Fishy | Batt Grips| SB800 x2 | SB900 |Pocketwizards | Manfrotto's blah blah.
team piggy

Postby gstark on Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:53 pm

team piggy wrote:On a note. I did indeed as did a few others ask in writing for permission from both parties.

I would send a follow-up message. Refer to your earlier missive (by date and time) and express your disapointment that they have not yet responded.

Then go on to again ask for permission, pointing out that you are acting in good faith to comply with their request that this permission be sought, and (subtlely) suggest that you may take their continued failure to respond (within a stated time frame) as implied permission to proceed with the posting of your images.

Absent any response within that stated timeframe, gopher it.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Adelaide and Perth