Adelaide Microstock Shoot

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Adelaide Microstock Shoot

Postby bwhatnall on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Hi Guys,
I have been shooting microstock and submitting to several agencies for the past two years, (shutterstock folio: http://www.shutterstock.com/gallery.mhtml?id=83326) and am wondering if anyone would be interested in a Microstock themed meeetup/shoot down in Adelaide, or South Australia somewhere.

A few different theme's came to mind, but my favorite would be to organise a few model's off model mayhem, there are quite a few in adelaide: http://www.modelmayhem.com/results.php?group_id=1&country=AU&state=South+Australia&dist=50&zip=&sort=updated&display=detail&namesearch2=&age_from=1993&age_to=1910&gender=Both&from_feet=3&from_inches=0&to_feet=7&to_inches=11&ethnicity_id=Any&skin_color_id=Any&hair_color_id=Any&hair_length_id=Any&eye_color_id=Any&test=&searchtype=profile&submit=Search

Who else would be interested?

DATE MADE!!!

Day: Sunday 28th of June

Time and Location: 10:00 at the Rotunda on the bank of the Torrens, where it meets King William St. Unless anyone is up for a dawn shoot???

The Plan: Head around adelaide with like minded photographers focusing down on shooting images orientated towards the subject of something that would sell well as microstock. A few successful Adelaide Microstock photographers will be there to give a helping hand, as well as a couple of models if we have any luck organizing those.
Last edited by bwhatnall on Sun May 24, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of goodies really, lets just say my lenses stretch from 10mm to 500mm with plenty of light at 5fps ;)

My Portfolio - http://www.brookewhatnall.com
bwhatnall

Re: Adelaide Microstock Shoot

Postby tommyg on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:05 am

Chica and I would be interested, we've been looking into getting into some of that stuff in recent months, and it would be great to get some hints as well! :)
Tom
Red Bubble
TLC Photography
Nikon D810, D700, D90 (IR)
tommyg

Postby DanielA on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:40 pm

I'm interested.
They are not things I've done before, so I'd be interested to see how it done. :D

Daniel
Nikon D4, D2Xs, D70, Nikkors and Sigmas lenses from 10 to 400mm
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby DebT on Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:56 pm

OK so explain what's microstock ? I looked at at your shots and am no clearer ...and the model site didn't tell me a lot either ??
But just because I have no idea what your'e planning doesn't stop me from being interested - so keep me in the loop

If you don't get the numbers to make models a viable option you may wish to check this out (something I am seriously thinking about as she does all sorts of things from time to time )
Cally Fisher from http://www.carolinefisher.com.au/ is runs portraiture photo workshops from time to time
Models are included, and you'll learn about posing, flash & fill flash techniques, background choice, composition,
lighting styles, camera controls and more COST is $100.

Deb T
DebT
"so many dreams - so little time "
DebT

Postby Chica on Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:20 pm

Hey Deb, that sounds like something Tom and I would be interested in. Let us know if you are looking further into it
Chica

Postby DanielA on Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:38 pm

DebT wrote:OK so explain what's microstock ? I looked at at your shots and am no clearer ...

Deb, this might help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microstock

Daniel
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby DebT on Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:12 am

Thanks Daniel - and there I was thinking it was a technique for macro ...silly me
DebT
DebT
DebT

Postby DanW on Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:24 pm

I'm interested too (both microstock and portraiture workshop). I've been wanting to start building up a bit of a portfolio.

Dan.
Dan
Nikon D700 and a whole lot o' lenses
DanW

Postby team piggy on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:43 am

Wouldn't using models be an issue if you were then selling the stuff as Microstock? a lot of MM models are TFP or TFCD, meaing issues I would have thought if you asre suddenly making $$ from their image?
I would imagine a model release for this would be required? :?:
D3 | D700 | D300 x 2 | D200 X 2| D70s| 300 2.8VR| 70-200, 2.8VR| 28-70, 2.8|24-70 2.8 | 14-24 2.8 | 50-500| 50, 1.4| 18-200VR| 10.5 Fishy | Batt Grips| SB800 x2 | SB900 |Pocketwizards | Manfrotto's blah blah.
team piggy

Postby Chica on Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:07 am

Yeh, you would need a model release but all the microstock sites have a release on their site.... guess that means joining a nicrostock site before the shoot for me!!!
Chica

Postby Katatonic on Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:28 am

I feel if we have more than 1 photographer for a model shoot they will get uncomfortably / awkward.

You can just go to skate parks, parkour meet ups etc (after clicking your link it presented those ideas).

Wouldn't mind a beach meet up for sunset/sunrise or something like that.

Say Glenelg from noon - dusk; always plenty happening there.
Katatonic

Postby bwhatnall on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:23 am

Hi Guys,
Sorry, was away for a while, wow, this thread has really taken off.

*MODEL RELEASES*

First point, some of you mentioned that you will need model releases from models, and may have problems if $$$ are made from the images. Well that is something that is different from model to model, most models are happy for you to use images on sites for microstock sales in exchange for them having all the images, and being able to use them for portfolio's ect (fair trade I think), others like to charge for shoots, but the outcome is the same.

If you are interested in submitting model releases to several agencies, use a generic release from day one, otherwise one agency wont accept a model release created by another agency ect, you can download a generic model release to set up as your own here (http://www.mangiaphoto.com/wp-content/genericmodelreleaseform.pdf)

Make sure your model release has a witness box, otherwise, Shutterstock, my best earner, wont take your releases.

*1:1 PHOTOGRAPHER/MODEL RATIO*

The other point that I saw someone make is that more than one photographer with a model may get a bit weird. I have done model shoots with the Adelaide Camera club were we have had 5-10 photographers per model, and I thought it was even better, everyone seemed to be on hyperdrive mode with ideas pouring out about lighting, poses and concepts.

A one on one ratio would work for moving through many poses in a short amount of time, but the more photographers, the more idea's are floating around (in my mind anyway), plus, more of us get to converse about general microstock, photography, and the Canon-Nikon war!

*SKATE PARKS AND PARKOUR SHOOTS*

It was also mentioned that we can just go to Skate Parks and Parkour meets, and that is a great idea. I have done a couple of skate park shoots, and my experience is that for that kind of thing, it is best for an organized shoot. Otherwise you are rocking up to them just chillin and skatin' at the park with their mates, jumped in and chucked some photographic poses at them. I did one shoot where I met a skater at a park, took a few shots of him, they turned out nicely, he wanted them for his facebook, we chatted, he said yes to me sticking them on microstock for sale, and then it turned out i forgot my model releases. We arranged for another shoot, and the shots were so good from that arranged shoot, I scrapped all the shots from the first time.

With regards to the Parkour idea, I have been training Parkour with the adelaide scene for the past two years, and we have had many photographers come along to photograph us at meets and jams, and from the parkour practitioner's point of view, we find it very distracting. We are out there to train and condition, and then you get a photographer pulling you away from the group to do a certain move (usually stupidly big), over and over again, in stead of getting out there and training as was planned. Many of us again, are more than happy to go to a pre-organised photographic shoot, and usually the shots are better, and everyone is happier by the end of the day :)

*PROGRESSING*

I have a friend, Ryan Pike (http://www.ryanpike.com/), who has done photography in adelaide commerically, for the past 5 years or so, and is rather successful on the micro-stock circuits. He would be interested in coming out to the shoot as well, and has a great brain to pick on the subject of micro-stock.

*STOCK SITES TO JOIN!*

Here, I have listed my best three earners in terms of micro-stock sites, for all of you wanting to sign up now.

Shutterstock : http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=83326
By far my best earner, I easily pass their minimum monthly pay out of US $75. They are hard to get into to start with, 7 out of 10 images need to be approved on quality, but after that, its smooth sailing, and they allow a lot of shots that other sites say no to. Get onto this one first!

Dreamstime : http://www.dreamstime.com/res187569-dreamtime
Sales are slower, but higher amounts per sale, so I make roughly 1/3 of my Microstock income here, easy to get in, high approval ratios, defiantly a joiner.

iStockphoto : http://www.istockphoto.com/sdewdney'%20target='_blank
Great site, high earnings per photo, but really, these guys are overly strict with image approval, I rarely get 2 out of a batch of 10 accepted, and thats bad, Still, they earn their part.
Lots of goodies really, lets just say my lenses stretch from 10mm to 500mm with plenty of light at 5fps ;)

bwhatnall

Postby Doctor on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:24 pm

Ive been looking at stock sites lately, and would certainly be keen on this kind of meet up, however it eventuates....
Life is all about ass, you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one
Doctor

Postby bwhatnall on Sun May 24, 2009 9:04 pm

Day: Sunday 28th of June

Time and Location: 10:00 at the Rotunda on the bank of the Torrens, where it meets King William St. Unless anyone is up for a dawn shoot???

The Plan: Head around adelaide with like minded photographers focusing down on shooting images orientated towards the subject of something that would sell well as microstock. A few successful Adelaide Microstock photographers will be there to give a helping hand, as well as a couple of models if we have any luck organizing those.

How does that sound for this event, if enough people can make it, than that is the date, time and place that we will hold this meet :)

So then, who's in?

bwhatnall

Postby Katatonic on Mon May 25, 2009 1:23 am

Ouch - you're getting me up on a Sunday morning...

I'll be there.

I won't have a zoom lens or anything - my 30D + Nifty Fifty is all I've got at the moment.

Please remind us closer to the date.
Katatonic

Postby gstark on Mon May 25, 2009 9:08 am

I've just added this to the calendar for y'all.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby bwhatnall on Fri May 29, 2009 9:01 pm

Brilliant, there is actually interest :).

I have created a facebook event for it as well, so if any of you have facebook, why not pop along and click attending, while your there, chuck something on the wall :) (facebook event URL: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=98755799416)

Katatonic, a nifty fifty is a brilliant lens, and won't let you down, in fact, that is probably what I will be using half the day as well. Love that lens.

On the day, I will be bringing along info for signing up with microstock agencies, as well as a few sample model releases, as they are essential if you are shooting stock of people.

Who would be interested in a couple of models on the day?

bwhatnall

Postby Katatonic on Fri May 29, 2009 10:51 pm

Hi,

Got the model releases in word format? Can you put them online or email them to me?

Would be good for future stuff when I get that far.

What kind of models are we talking about? ;)

Subscribed on Facebook as well, seems like I'm the only one keen to come along.
Katatonic

Postby DanielA on Fri May 29, 2009 10:58 pm

Katatonic wrote:seems like I'm the only one keen to come along.

I'll probably come along, but it's ages away... :D
You'll probably get more interest closer to the day.

Daniel
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby Chica on Fri May 29, 2009 11:06 pm

Hi,
I have replied on Facebook... but will probably need a reminder!!! Looking forward to it.
Chica

Postby bwhatnall on Sat May 30, 2009 12:54 pm

I have uploaded my minor and adult model releases for you to use, simply fill out all the sections, and replace "PHOTOGRAPHER'S NAME" with your full name.

Remember that adult is over 18 and minor is under 18 and requiers a parent or guardians signature.

I usually have a few spares in my bag of each kind.

Adult Release - http://www.sportsnap.com.au/vault/adult.doc

Minor Release - http://www.sportsnap.com.au/vault/minor.doc

bwhatnall

Postby DanielA on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:44 pm

bwhatnall wrote:Day: Sunday 28th of June
Time and Location: 10:00 at the Rotunda on the bank of the Torrens, where it meets King William St.

It's nearly here. I assume the meet is still going ahead?

Daniel
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby Katatonic on Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:18 am

I'll be there Bud. Anyone else confirmed?
Katatonic

Postby DebT on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:24 am

Hi,
assuming nothing else come up between now and then I'm hoping to tag along -what lens selection are you suggesting ?

DebT
DebT
DebT

Postby tommyg on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:24 pm

Chica and I will be along,

Only problem we have is that we have a prior engagement at 8.30 til about 10.30 - so will need to find you. Anyone who we can ring that will be there, if you can PM your phone number through that would be great

Cheers
Tom
Tom
Red Bubble
TLC Photography
Nikon D810, D700, D90 (IR)
tommyg

Postby bwhatnall on Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:56 pm

HI All,
many apologies for replying at the last minute, been busy and this shoot slipped my mind until tonight, hence I have not organised a model for the shoot...None the less, it still looks to be quite a good walk through Adelaide, and I look foreward to meeting everyone tomorrow.

Anyone is welcome to contact me on [number removed] for any reason,
See you there
Brooke

bwhatnall

Postby DanielA on Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:22 pm

DebT wrote:what lens selection are you suggesting ?

I can tell you what I'm taking. Travelling light with my walkaround 18-200vr, and I'll probably bring my 50mm and flash.
See you all tomorrow.

Daniel
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby Katatonic on Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:36 pm

Nifty Fifty for the win.
Katatonic

Postby DebT on Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:04 am

Hi decided to give it a miss as I have woken up with a nasty cold and feel awful - so back to bed
Hope you have a great day all
Deb
DebT
DebT

Postby DanielA on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:25 pm

A couple from today's meet.

A couple of the websites I mentioned today were Photoshop Disasters and The Teddy Bears Test.

Daniel
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby Katatonic on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:37 pm

I'll be looking forward to another meet after I have a bit more fun with my camera.

It was good to catch up. Thanks for turning up.
Katatonic

Return to Adelaide and Perth