d2x drowns

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

d2x drowns

Postby robw25 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:29 pm

hi guys
i have always wanted to get some pics of the local cuttlefish in the breeding season ( they just lay there ) and got the opportunity to go with a work mate, so day before went to dive shop to get fitted for wet suite and gear and was all excited i was going to get something that was very high on my list of to-do's, still excited next day went to black point ( local area ) slipped into the wet suite ( more like struggled to fit in it ) final check for camera and euwa-marine bag and slid ( crawled/rolled ) into the water, fine so far... the guy i was with had scuba gear ( i was snorkelling ) and told me to head out to an outcrop of rocks in the water, well because the suite was so tight i couldnt breathe properly and just as i was about 2 metres away i started to panic, i couldnt get a full breath of air !!! this is a scary feeling and i would not want to feel like that ever again , anyway i finally made it to the outcrop my heart was thrashing away , i was shaking, I WAS SCARED !. i clung to the rocks for dear life chucking the camera and bag on the outcrop so i could hold tighter with two hands, the swell was washing over the rocks knocking the camera off a few times, my friend arrived and saw i was in a panic and he said " just relax stay here for a while till your breathing calms down " ( i wasnt letting go of that rock ) anyway i did calm down and started to swim around my savior ( the rock ) i told my mate i didnt want to go "under" the water so he took my camera and went down to get some pics of the cuttlefish, i stuck my head under the water to watch him take the pics and thats when my heart stopped .... i could see bubbles escaping from the top of the bag ( if air is escaping then water is getting in ) i screamed his name ( how futile was that !) he swam around and thought he was taking photo's and then came back up to show me if he did it right, bag was half full of water, then the flash shorted out and i noticed the little valve was open, must have got caught on the rocks when the waves were moving it about, SO i decided that was it and made for the shore, my goggles were fogging up and i couldnt see properly but i nearly shat my pants when this big bit of white seaweed came next to me !!! i struggled to shore laying in the lapping waves for a couple of minutes, my mate had to get my weight belt which had slipped off ( he said i had no love handles for it to sit on ) so i stripped off all that shit that was stopping me breathing properly and it felt great ! after awhile i opened up the bag and drained it and took out my camera .... took the flash off and removed the batteries ( smelt of burning ) water was seeping from the camera ( and my eyes as well ) i was hoping that the cf card was ok after it dried but as yet havent been able to access it, so ring the insurance people up and they told me to send it to diamonds ( camera store in adelaide ) so my sb800flash my 12-24 and my much loved d2x is in the post , now i wait to see what i will get from the insurance
I couldnt believe that something that i was so excited about doing turned to shit so badly for me !!!!
robw25

Re: d2x drowns

Postby aim54x on Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:46 pm

Very sorry to hear how such an exciting trip has turned into a terrible ordeal. Fingers crossed that the insurance comes through for you and that the CF card is ok. I would probably leave the CF card to dry for a few days just to make sure there isnt any water in the holes where the pins are inserted.

Hope you get some good news soon from the repairer/insurance company.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Willy wombat on Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:49 pm

A very sad story and its lucky you managed to control your panic because those situations can get nasty real quick.

As a dive master I have seen people do some crazy things when they panic when snorkelling or diving underwater. I once saw a novice scuba diver rip his air source out of his mouth and rip his mask off his face at depth (a strange thing to do but not unusual in a panic situation) and start swimming for the surface. Luckily we caught him in time. I would always suggest that people make sure they are comfortable in the water (especially in new or unfamiliar equipment) before embarking on photography missions.

It also seems that those waterproof photo bags arent to be trusted!
Steve (Nikon D200/D700)
My photography website http://wwphoto.redbubble.com/
My photo blog http://www.redbubble.com/people/wwphoto
Please feel free to offer any constructive criticism on my works
Willy wombat

Postby surenj on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:25 pm

Sorry to hear about your experience.

On the plus side, when insurance comes through, they will have to give you a better camera than the D2x.

Fingers crossed and please let us know the outcome.
surenj

Postby fozzie on Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:38 pm

Rob - I am glad that you are okay, the camera can be replaced. Let's hope the Insurance company comes to the party.
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby gstark on Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:53 pm

Rob,

Main thing is that you're ok.

Ws this salt water? It sounds as if it may have been, and if so, you should let the CD card soak in some tap water for a while. Perhaps give it two or three rinses ... you want to try to remove the salt. That's also what you should have done with the other gear as well, btw, if you wanted to try to recover it.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby robw25 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:16 pm

thanks for your concern guys... i gotta admit i thought i was gone, and right now am realising how unfit i am.. when i was at home that night my wife said i just sat there with a "thousand yard stare " for most of the night ... and to be honest losing the gear didnt matter, i havent felt right since it happened, and as steve said, i was way out of my comfort zone ... i will stick to ontop of the water from now on and will update this topic when i hear from insurance people

cheers rob
robw25

Postby radar on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:19 pm

Glad you are okay after that scary episode,

take care,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby biggerry on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:31 pm

my wife said i just sat there with a "thousand yard stare " for most of the night ...

:shock:

I feel for you Rob, I hope it all works out for you regarding your gear, in terms of the experience, just put it down to lesson learnt, one which you walked away from.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby DanielA on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:38 pm

How awful. At least you are all right. Hardware can be replaced.
I hope everything else works out.

Daniel
Nikon D4, D2Xs, D70, Nikkors and Sigmas lenses from 10 to 400mm
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby Big V on Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:57 pm

Rob, sorry to hear about the negative experience when you had been looking forward to this for so long. Well that is enough sympathy from me - now get your arse down to Adelaide for the dinner so we can give you shit face to face to cheer you up!! :)
Canon
Big V

Postby ATJ on Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:42 am

Rob,

Even with more expensive housings, things can go wrong. Two weeks ago while diving with my D300 and beloved 60mm in my Ikelite housing at a depth of 18m the underwater leak detector went off. I didn't panic but I was extremely worried all the way back to the surface (which took 5 minutes) and then for the walk back to the car (another 10-15 minutes).

Here's my dive profile showing my (rather) rapid ascent:

Fortunately, there was only a very small amount of water in the housing and none got on the camera. I have also managed to determine why the housing leaked and have fixed it (I hope).

As Steve says, it is best to get familiar in the water before embarking on a photography mission. I also wouldn't trust one of those Ewa-Marine bags.
ATJ

Postby aim54x on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:48 am

Glad to hear that you have located the issue with your ikelite Andrew.

I use Fuji's underwater housing for my F100fd compact camera, I have looked at those waterproof bags for SLR's but have not been game either.

fingers (still) crossed for the insurance to the party with presents.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby robw25 on Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:21 am

Big V wrote:now get your arse down to Adelaide for the dinner so we can give you shit face to face to cheer you up!! :)

i do check the dates you guys make for a meet but cause i got a real job i cant always make it

cheers rob
ATJ wrote: Two weeks ago while diving with my D300 and beloved 60mm in my Ikelite housing at a depth of 18m the underwater leak detector went off

jesus .. 18 m surely it would be dark there ? ... you wouldnt see the dark shape till it tapped you on the shoulder and said
" your f....d mate "
DanielA wrote: Hardware can be replaced.

yes daniel that is spot on !
robw25

Postby ATJ on Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:56 am

robw25 wrote:jesus .. 18 m surely it would be dark there ? ... you wouldnt see the dark shape till it tapped you on the shoulder and said
" your f....d mate "

:biglaugh: You'd be surprised. It is noticeably darker but your eyes adjust. The big thing with the light (and this affects us as photographers) is the change in colour. Red gets filtered out very early and at that depth a bright red sea star (and I mean really bright red) looks brown. You recognise them by shape. You almost have to use strobes to get the right colours and when you photograph one of those sea stars that go from brown to bright red in an instant. It's cool.
ATJ

Postby Matt. K on Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:51 pm

Rob
Seems like you were out of your comfort zone for awhile there! :D :D :D :D The good news is that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger or/and wiser.

If the insurance company hassels you in any way then perhaps you should lean on Ewa-Marine? From memory I think they might have some kind of insurance on their bags if they leak.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Big V on Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:50 pm

Rob the fact that you can read thiseans you can thank a Teacher. We all have choices :) Now get down here we have some nice surprises to cheer you up.
Canon
Big V

Postby Big V on Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:51 pm

Rob the fact that you can read thiseans you can thank a Teacher. We all have choices :) Now get down here we have some nice surprises to cheer you up.
Canon
Big V

Postby robw25 on Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:09 pm

UPDATE
got a phone call from allianze to tell me that my claim had been passed ( $9,900.10 ) !!! YEEHA
replacement for d2x is a d3 i asked for a 14-24 instead of 12-24 to utilise the ff and replacement for sb800 is the sb900
so i am a happy chappie

cheers rob
robw25

Postby Willy wombat on Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:12 pm

That is a really good result for you!
Steve (Nikon D200/D700)
My photography website http://wwphoto.redbubble.com/
My photo blog http://www.redbubble.com/people/wwphoto
Please feel free to offer any constructive criticism on my works
Willy wombat

Postby ATJ on Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:35 pm

Excellent result. Other than the scary experience, it looks like you are in front.
ATJ

Postby gstark on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:33 pm

Rob,

Great news.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby fozzie on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:59 pm

Hi Rob,

Good news all round.

Welcome to the D3 family :)

robw25 wrote:UPDATE
got a phone call from allianze to tell me that my claim had been passed ( $9,900.10 ) !!! YEEHA
replacement for d2x is a d3 i asked for a 14-24 instead of 12-24 to utilise the ff and replacement for sb800 is the sb900
so i am a happy chappie

cheers rob
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby Big V on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:38 pm

Rob, now you will be able to run the 200-400!!!! Excellent news, out of hardship comes some good..
Canon
Big V

Postby aim54x on Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:56 pm

Great news Rob...makes me want to go out and insure my D300....maybe they will upgrade me to FX when I bust it!
Cameron
aim54x

Postby robw25 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:34 pm

thanks for the replies guys now i just gotta wait for a new one to come in ... have asked for the old camera/lens/flash back so i can take them apart and have a look !

cheers rob
robw25

Return to Adelaide and Perth