Gluepot weekend

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Gluepot weekend

Postby darklightphotography on Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:07 pm

Hi all, I am heading up to Gluepot on the long weekend of 3rd-5th October. It's an awesome spot for bird photography.

I'm heading up on the Friday night, but if anyone needs a guide in I'll drive back to Waikerie on Saturday or Sunday morning and meet at the ferry.

darklightphotography

Re: Gluepot weekend

Postby Glen on Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:52 pm

Nice images Kevin, especially the second which draws you in
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby DebT on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:45 pm

mmm very tempting not sure what the family have planned but I'm keen if someone wants a passenger
DebT
DebT
"so many dreams - so little time "
DebT

Postby DaveB on Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:55 am

If I wasn't going to be working on the Friday and Monday in Melbourne I'd be in the car and heading over to join you: it's been too long since I was at Gluepot!
DaveB

Postby darklightphotography on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:25 am

DaveB wrote:If I wasn't going to be working on the Friday and Monday in Melbourne I'd be in the car and heading over to join you: it's been too long since I was at Gluepot!

No long weekend in Vic?
darklightphotography

Postby DaveB on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:58 am

darklightphotography wrote:No long weekend in Vic?

Not that I'm aware of.
My iCal does show a "Labour Day (ACT, NSW, SA)" on that Monday, so I guess that's what you're referring to... ;)

What's worse, I've just noticed I'm also working that Sat AM. :roll:
DaveB

Postby DebT on Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:19 pm

OK the closer it gets the more attractive it sounds to get away for the weekend so tell me more ?
Not sure if we will pack the tent or book at Waikerie so it will depend on the weather on the day ..may even pack the telescope (although not in Tony's league) ...anyway tell me more

Bit concerned about directions - the web site looks clear enough ......but I have heard the stories so we may swap mobile numbers -
Deb
DebT
DebT

Postby DaveB on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:36 pm

Not much mobile reception last time I was there...
I seem to recall it fades fairly quickly as you head north from the ferry. Especially if you're not on the right network...
DaveB

Postby DebT on Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:55 am

Thanks Dave a good thought - last time I was North I was on the Telstra CDMA network so plenty of coverage but forgot to ask what Kevin uses and it may have changed...but the instructions on their web site seem pretty clear
Deb
DebT
DebT

Postby Marvin on Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:21 am

Hee hee! Virgs, Fozzie and I had planned a day at Gluepot a while back. We couldn't find the bloody place and I am supposed to be a local! Good luck and have fun.
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby darklightphotography on Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:07 am

DebT wrote:OK the closer it gets the more attractive it sounds to get away for the weekend so tell me more ?
Not sure if we will pack the tent or book at Waikerie so it will depend on the weather on the day ..may even pack the telescope (although not in Tony's league) ...anyway tell me more

Bit concerned about directions - the web site looks clear enough ......but I have heard the stories so we may swap mobile numbers -
Deb

I wouldn't worry to much about the weather - it almost never rains there. I always tent it in one of the campgrounds. There are few facilities, so you need to be self-sufficient. I have a spare tent if you need. Campgrounds have dirt, a long drop toilet, and more dirt. No campfires allowed, unfortunately.

Directions: Drive to Waikerie, go across on the ferry, then drive about 10km to the T-junction at the Morgan-Renmark road. Turn left, then turn right onto a dirt road 4 or 5 km toward Morgan. There is an Episcopalian Church on the corner, and a very small sign. From here it is 60km on the dirt, through 5 or 6 gates (leave them as you find them, regardless of any "close the gate" signs).

Once you are 5 or 10km along the dirt road the phone coverage drops out. If you know when you are coming, I can meet you at Waikerie. Better than ending up lost.
darklightphotography

Postby Big V on Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Deb,it is a small sign - so small Fozzie and I to this day have never found the bloody thing!!!
Canon
Big V

Postby Big V on Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:28 pm

Have our venturers returned from Gluepot? How did this go? Or are they like Fozzie and I still searching?
Canon
Big V

Postby DebT on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:17 pm

Hi,
Ken & Karl ended up with a virus/flu so they spent the weekend in bed - I couldn't be bothered going on my own so stayed home and sulked
DebT
DebT
DebT

Postby tommyg on Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:22 am

Hey there Deb!

Any plans for another weekend to go? Cathy and I have just returned from 8 weeks overseas, so would be interested

Cheers
Tom
Tom
Red Bubble
TLC Photography
Nikon D810, D700, D90 (IR)
tommyg

Postby darklightphotography on Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:36 pm

Hey all, we have returned from the wilderness.

It's been so dry up there that there is very little healthy scrub left, and hardly any birdlife. Even though it never rains there, it did rain on us, so much that 2WD vehicles would have struggled.

One of the few birds I did see. 400mm is not enough for tiny birds in the wild.

Did some macro with 24-70 and extension tubes

I was going to take a pic of the sign off the Renmark-Mannum road, but I left my 12-24 behind and couldn't get it all in. :)
darklightphotography

Return to Adelaide and Perth