Nick Brandt exhibition in Sydney

Details of events that may by of interest to members should be posted here. This way those who may be interested in attending can have a thread to cooordinate their activities at those events

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Nick Brandt exhibition in Sydney

Postby radar on Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:27 am

Hi,

Nick Brandt is launching a new book called "On This Earth" and also having an exhibition in Sydney. I have seen a few pictures of this book, and the way he photographs the animals of East Africa is beautiful. The exhibition is at the Sandra Byron Gallery from Oct 29 till Nov 23. Even if you don't get to the gallery, it is worth going to the web site to view the images there by Nick Brandt, just go to the artists link.

Edit: also in Melbourne in December.

http://www.sandrabyrongallery.com.au

http://www.nickbrandt.com/

Cheers,

Radar
radar

Postby Sheetshooter on Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:30 am

Good one Radar,

Bumped into Sandra over coffee yesterday and received my invite.

What many may not realise with Nick's big game and wildlife shooting is that he does not use long lenses but instead gets in at closer range with shorter focal lengths which places his images a very different context.

Cheers,

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby blacknstormy on Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:24 am

Radar - thank you so much. I just spent the last 10 minutes going through the website, and am about to go back in and have a more thorough look. Stunning, absolutely stunning. He has captured the soul of the animals that he has photographed, and that soul seems to be laid bare for all to see.
Am I being too romantic? Maybe.... but those images will remain in my head for a long long time.
God, to be able to take shots like that !
Rel
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! -Ansel Adams

http://www.redbubble.com/people/blacknstormy
blacknstormy

Postby Sheetshooter on Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:46 am

Are you being too romantic Blacknstormy? Hardly. That is EXACTLY the role of the photograph as a communication. To evoke a heartfelt response or to provoke a lasting consideration. It is just that outside of galleries, monographs and some quality publications we so seldom see such application put into practice that it is all too easy to forget about it.

Frankly, I see a similar connection with the subject in your work although the difference in scale may obscure that to some eyes. This extends beyond critters and bugs also. Kristian can find emotion in structural design and this week's POTW illustrates that DaveB exercises great empathy with his motif as well.

Cheers,

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby Oneputt on Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:42 pm

The images on his website are certainly well worth a squiz :D
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Return to Events