Newcastle - Famous - Karin Catt Portraits

Details of events that may by of interest to members should be posted here. This way those who may be interested in attending can have a thread to cooordinate their activities at those events

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Newcastle - Famous - Karin Catt Portraits

Postby radar on Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:36 pm

Hi,

for those in Newcastle, the Newcastle Regional Gallery has an exhibition by Karin Catt. She was born in Newcastle but is now calling New York her home. The exhibition has just recently been shown in Canberra.

Code: Select all
When: 25 November 2006 to 21 January 2007
Open daily 10am to 5pm, FREE ENTRY

If you want to see a collection of what is on, have a look

http://www.portrait.gov.au/exhibit/catt/

Even for those not in Newcastle, have a look at the link above, if you are into portraits, there is one successful Australian.

Cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby stubbsy on Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:52 pm

I've known Karin since she was about 13 (and still called Karen :wink: ). She's the sister of one of my mates. It's been very interesting seeing her grow into the photographer she is now.

And her photo of David Byrne is brilliant.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby sheepie on Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:30 pm

Is that one of Jack Nicholson taken with a fisheye? I knew it could be used for portraits!

Some interesting work there - the RH Garrett's an ugly bugger isn't he?
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby Heath Bennett on Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:52 pm

Thanks for the heads up - great shots and a local to boot. Really want to catch this.
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby ozczecho on Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:31 pm

Awesome. Might have to make a trip to Newcastle...Awesome portraits, and to top it off I love David Byrnes music...
ozczecho

Postby radar on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:54 am

A reminder for the Newcastle members,

this exhibition finishes next weekend, Sunday 21/01/07. I visited it on Saturday and I highly recommend it. There are some amazing portraits. Even if you are not into portraits, well worth it.

A lot of famous people have been photographed by Karin Catt. Some in a "natural" setting, others have been staged. Most of them do seem to bring out the person so when you see a photo of say Russell Crow, you can see some part of his personality come out. There are both colour and b&w prints.

While you are there, the Walkley-Nikon awards for photography are also being exhibited next door at the Lovett Gallery in the Newcastle Library.

Don't miss either :D

Cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Return to Events