70-200 - which version?

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

70-200 - which version?

Postby Justin on Thu May 13, 2010 1:25 pm

I've finally got to the point where I can swing the 70-200 VR 2.8 as a birthday present. Then I look it up and to make my life complicated, they've released a new version!

Asides from the difference in price, can someone help with any reasons I would go the old model over the new model, or vice-versa? i.e. if there isn't a significant difference in quality (e.g. is the VR that much better?) should I go with the cheaper, old version?
D3 | 18-200VR | 50:1.4 | 28:2.8 | 35-70 2.8 | 12-24 f4
picasaweb.google.com/JustinPhotoGallery
"We don't know and we don't care"
Justin

70-200 - which version?

Postby kiwi on Thu May 13, 2010 8:45 pm

Personally it really depends on whether you value the slightly sharper corners and the fix to the overhyped vignetting and the better vr

I have the old version and for the difference in price I'm not changing and I'd rather if you get say another lens to fit a gap in your lineup rather than fuss about the minor improvements (which really are mire fir fx than dx)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Darren
Nikon D3 and Nikon Glass
kiwi

Re: 70-200 - which version?

Postby aim54x on Thu May 13, 2010 9:56 pm

If you can afford the new version, then i would be looking at one. Nothing wrong with the older version but the newer one looks to be a real improvement.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby rookie2 on Thu May 13, 2010 10:46 pm

the old version is my old favourite - has never let me down despite my best efforts. just seems to be more forgiving than other lenses I try to use. i got it second hand and will keep until it (or I) fall apart.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Rookie2

http://www.DLdigital.smugmug.com
rookie2

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri May 14, 2010 9:45 am

Old version:
Cheaper
Lighter
Has focus lock buttons on the barrel. Though I have a friend with one who didn't know what they were for when I asked.

New Version
Larger image circle (Vignetting) - Works better with your D3 - doesn't matter with your D200
Works better with Teleconverters, especially the new Series 3 ones.
Better VR

Either would be a huge step up from your 18-200
Personally I am holding out for the new one. Can't afford it yet. It is the teleconverter factor which tips me.
I have seen the vignetting issue & think it's a crock - very marginal.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby Alpha_7 on Fri May 14, 2010 12:21 pm

I was in a similar situation but given my main body is a D700 and decided to go down the path of the new VRII unfortunately I haven't pulled the trigger yet so I can't give you any hands on feedback but after close comparison. I decide to safe the extra to get the newer model. The possible 4 stops of VRII over 3 with VR I was one of the considerations, corner sharpeness too, vignetting I didn't care too much about, and I'm not concerned about the "breathing" at close focusing distances but depending on your style of photography and intended use that might be a big factor.
I'm considering buying from Singapore either over there or online and haivng it shipped.
Alpha_7

Postby petermmc on Fri May 14, 2010 12:48 pm

Hi Justin,

I have the old version and I use a D200 and it is fine. I will upgrade soon to a d700 FX or latest model within the next 12 months. I will not upgrade this lens as the return on my investment will not be very satisfying at all. I am a keen amateur and although I like good gear, (having the 14-24 and 24-70) any photo that I want to enlarge or print, I always do post processing. The point I am making is that the vignetting that may occur on this lens of FX will only happen infrequently and when/if it does, I am more than happy to use post processing to get rid of it...instead of buying a new lens. I am sure a lot of the vignetting would go away with a bit of cropping anyway.

Having said this, if I was to purchase a new vr 70-200, I would get the new one simply because I personally don't like buying older or 'run out' models as I suffer from post purchase disonance. (I learnt this expression when I did marketing and it means 'regret' but sounds so much better :) ) When they stop making/selling the origingal 70-200 there may even be a price drop with the new one. I feel that the presence of the older model in the marketplace puts an upward pressure on the price of the new one.

In short, get the new one....In 4 yrs there will be another new model anyway and then you too will have the 'older' model instead of the 'older older' model... if you buy the 'older' model now.

Just some thoughts. Enjoy your weekend.

Peter Mc
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Postby Justin on Mon May 17, 2010 2:57 pm

Thanks all. I'll see what I can do pricing wise and get the new one, but if that fails me it sounds like the old model isn't a terrible investment.
D3 | 18-200VR | 50:1.4 | 28:2.8 | 35-70 2.8 | 12-24 f4
picasaweb.google.com/JustinPhotoGallery
"We don't know and we don't care"
Justin

Return to Equipment Reviews