Samsung NX100 - first play

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Samsung NX100 - first play

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:23 pm

For those of you who were not fortunate to be in Sydney, you missed a glorious afternoon.

Beautiful, bright sunshine.

Last day of winter.

And a ride on a luxury motor cruiser from Man o'War Steps out to Samsung's Sydney offices in Homebush, where they put on a dog and pony to show us their Christmas lineup of goodies. Fridges, 3D TVs, the new Galaxy Tab (nice, but ..... ), a robotic vacuum cleaner ....

and the NX100.

I have got to say that the MILC space is becoming very congested, and there are some very nice offerings in there - the Sonys (yes, I know), the Olympuses (Olympii?), and the NX100 is joining them, and it feels about as nice in the hand as the Sonys.

A nice solid feel to the camera, the i-Function on the lenses (comes under the category of i-UnSure), ergonomics, at first glance, seem fine ....
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Samsung NX100 - first play

Postby photohiker on Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:30 pm

Hmm.

Is Gary actually considering the Samsung NX100 as a valid camera to glance at, and even using the word 'nice' in the same sentence?

Someone Pinch Me

:biglaugh:

Michael
photohiker

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:40 pm

photohiker wrote:Hmm.

Is Gary actually considering the Samsung NX100 as a valid camera to glance at, and even using the word 'nice' in the same sentence?

Someone Pinch Me

:biglaugh:

Michael

Michael,

I think I'd actually take a Sony NEX3 or NEX5 before the Samsung, but the market space for MILC cameras is becoming pleasantly populated with cameras that, as a carry-around-instead-of-a-bulky-DSLR, are quite desirable.

Certainly, for me, MILCs, with their larger sensor size, hold way more attraction than do the compacts.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:01 pm

There has been a sea change here.....

Gary actually likes:
-Olympus PEN
-Sony NEX (WTF!!!)
-Samsung NX 100

That aside, I would have to vote the other way...Samsung NX10 then Panasonic GF1 then Oly EP1/2 I would put the Sony NEX DEAD LAST!!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:48 am

Quite surprisingly (to me), there's a few things that Sony have done just right with the NEX 3 and 5.

First of all, they're using an APS-C sensor. That means that the pixels are big and fat, and that is good for IQ.

The construction of the bodies and lenses is good. Feels really good, and that's probably the first thing that you notice when you pick one of these up.

And they handle rather well, particularly in landscape mode.

Similarly, the Samsung's build quality is also rather good and solid feeling, for both the body and the lens.

I think that these are all (Olympus included) cameras that I could live with, as a second system. Especially with a pancake.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Reviews