Binoculars and GST-a review of sorts

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Binoculars and GST-a review of sorts

Postby Matt. K on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:09 pm

I'm posting this because many photographers carry binoculars or at least own a pair....it's the love of optics!
If you wanted to buy a pair of high quality binoculars then the Rolls Royce choices would probably look something like this:

1. Best of all...Swarovsky. Nothing beats them.
2. next best...Leitz/leica. Of course.
3. Probably Ziess.
4.I'd go Kowa, but others might disagree. There are numerous other brands and models that would fit...for instance Nikon Monarchs are highly respected.

All of the above (except the Nikons), would probably cost, depending on the model, more than $2500. Goods optics are expensive.

A few months ago I walked into a Sydney telescope store and enquired about a pair of good binos....something from the above selection. The store owner then became rather animated/excited and told me about this fantastic new model from Bushnell (not a brand I was ever overly keen on), that were receiving rave reviews all over the globe and I should check em out. He handed me a pair, (I was sceptical) and lo and behold....these were very very good. I enquired of the price and told "Only $800.00!" Certainly much cheaper the the top brands. I erred on the side of caution and said I'd think about. When I got home I Googled the Bushnells and found I could get them for $699.00 from 2 other Sydney dealers. There's $100 to be saved straight away. I then checked the USA price and..............$299.00.
I did some serious reseach, read all the reviews I could find and the consensus was that these were seriously high quality without the high price. Reviewers were amazed at what Bushnell had done by redefining the price/quality benchmark. I purchased a pair from Planet Optics, total cost including postage $349.00 AU. Note to government, I would have been quite happy to pay GST on this purchase. Anyway, they eventually turned up on my doorstop and I'm very, very happy with them. They are stunning optically and rugged, waterproof and lightweight when compared to the other brands. Highly recommended. Now....for those Sydney retailers who mark up their goods by 200% or 300%. You want to make $500 profit on a $300 (retail) pair of binos......Clearly your days are numbered. Your greed will be your undoing. I would happily pay $40 or so extra for the convenience of buying in-store....but $500.00! Goodbye.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/rev ... trprf.html
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Re: Binoculars and GST-a review of sorts

Postby surenj on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:44 pm

Thanks for this Matt.

What do you use your Binos for?
surenj

Postby Matt. K on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:12 pm

Whale watching or checking out landscapes or anything of interest. The world looks beautiful through a good pair of binos.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby aim54x on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:21 pm

Good to hear that you have managed to pick up a bargain...200% is too much to pay.....
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby surenj on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:01 am

Hey, Matt I would like to have a look if possible. Perhaps during another meet?
surenj

Postby Matt. K on Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:33 pm

I'll bring them along next meet Suren.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby gstark on Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:51 pm

Matt. K wrote:Highly recommended.

Good to hear; thanks for letting us know.

Now....for those Sydney retailers who mark up their goods by 200% or 300%. You want to make $500 profit on a $300 (retail) pair of binos......Clearly your days are numbered. Your greed will be your undoing. I would happily pay $40 or so extra for the convenience of buying in-store....but $500.00! Goodbye.

I hope that Gerry Harvey is paying attention.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:55 pm

I hope the good folks at TASCO are listening in.....because it may not be just the retailer
Cameron
aim54x

Postby Killakoala on Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:56 am

aim54x wrote:I hope the good folks at TASCO are listening in.....because it may not be just the retailer

:rotfl2:

For the price, Bushnell are pretty good. I like my Bushnell 10x42's, also bought from the USA. :)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby muzz on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:36 pm

Isn't some of this increased pricing down to the "middle-man"? For instance, my understanding is that in Australia, if a retailer want's to sell Canon camera goods, they can't deal directly with Canon, they must deal with their distributor, who wants an income from this arrangement. However in Hong Kong, the retailer can deal directly with Canon Asia and therefore can control the final price/profit margin without having to factor in the distributor's cut. Perhaps it's the same in the US.

I may be wrong, but this is how I understand it. I'm not sure what advantage there is to having a distributor in Australia when Canon themselves have bricks and mortar infrastructure throughout Australia.
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Postby aim54x on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:32 pm

muzz wrote:Isn't some of this increased pricing down to the "middle-man"? For instance, my understanding is that in Australia, if a retailer want's to sell Canon camera goods, they can't deal directly with Canon, they must deal with their distributor, who wants an income from this arrangement. However in Hong Kong, the retailer can deal directly with Canon Asia and therefore can control the final price/profit margin without having to factor in the distributor's cut. Perhaps it's the same in the US.

I may be wrong, but this is how I understand it. I'm not sure what advantage there is to having a distributor in Australia when Canon themselves have bricks and mortar infrastructure throughout Australia.

Most camera shops will have a direct account with Canon Australia, however some places will buy via an agent or distributor (Ingram Micro being an example). Both Canon Australia and their agents/distributors make a cut of profit, just like a Canon Asia and Canon USA makes a profit.
Cameron
aim54x

Return to Equipment Reviews