Clovelly Dawn with Surnej and Biggerry

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Clovelly Dawn with Surnej and Biggerry

Postby aim54x on Sun May 02, 2010 1:48 pm

It was cold, and dark. We risked getting both camera and life to get some pictures. BUT most importantly it was a great experience and a very good catch up!

Comments, tips and critique are very much appreciated!

Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Re: Clovelly Dawn with Surnej and Biggerry

Postby glamy on Sun May 02, 2010 2:15 pm

Hi CAmeron,
Out of these, I realy like only the last one, probaly because of the composition and the mood. The other ones do nothing for me.
glamy

Postby biggerry on Sun May 02, 2010 5:04 pm

We risked getting both camera and life to get some pictures

lol, c'mon there was a rescue donut right there, i woulda thrown it to ya, plus you only got your toes wet :wink:

I like #2, I assume this one is the one with the grad ND, it seems to suffer a bit of extra warmth, I think cooling down the colour would be the ticket. Maybe also pano crop? that may however lose that nice interesting pools in the foreground...

#3 is well captured, it looks HDRish with the darker bits on the wave etc.. it is however a good shot, it is quite a bit harder than it looks to get the definition in the wave crashing without losing it in the background or whitewash.

The last image is nice, has good composition with some key elements, in terms of PP, I would just bump the contrast a fraction.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby aim54x on Sun May 02, 2010 10:20 pm

biggerry wrote:lol, c'mon there was a rescue donut right there, i woulda thrown it to ya, plus you only got your toes wet :wink:

Im sure you would have thrown that donut to me! You and Surenj got pretty close to a few of those waves though!

I like #2, I assume this one is the one with the grad ND, it seems to suffer a bit of extra warmth, I think cooling down the colour would be the ticket. Maybe also pano crop? that may however lose that nice interesting pools in the foreground...

I actually switched my WB to Shade hence the warmer tones, and I think I may have bumped the warmth up in post as well, but yes the grads were used here, and a bit of selective post processing to bring back the sky, as in #3.

#3 is well captured, it looks HDRish with the darker bits on the wave etc.. it is however a good shot, it is quite a bit harder than it looks to get the definition in the wave crashing without losing it in the background or whitewash.

No HDR there, just a selective pull back on the sky to bring back colours in the sky.

The last image is nice, has good composition with some key elements, in terms of PP, I would just bump the contrast a fraction.

No post on this one, more contrast eh? I'll see what I can do mate!
Cameron
aim54x

Postby biggerry on Sun May 02, 2010 10:28 pm

No post on this one, more contrast eh? I'll see what I can do mate!

yeah just crank the contrast a bit and that will make that beautiful green seaweed stuff really come to life.. :up:
biggerry

Postby surenj on Mon May 03, 2010 2:49 pm

aim54x wrote:We risked getting both camera and life to get some pictures

and scaled extreme heights... :mrgreen:

I quite like #2 and #3 for their composition. I prefer these warmer tones and the tonal range you have milke out of these. I assume they are combined exposures?

Nice wave action! I don't think I got the shutter speed correct to get the nice definition you have achieved here.

Always nice to see the same scene from a different set of eyes. :cheers:
surenj

Postby aim54x on Mon May 03, 2010 9:59 pm

surenj wrote:
aim54x wrote:We risked getting both camera and life to get some pictures

and scaled extreme heights... :mrgreen:

I quite like #2 and #3 for their composition. I prefer these warmer tones and the tonal range you have milke out of these. I assume they are combined exposures?

Nice wave action! I don't think I got the shutter speed correct to get the nice definition you have achieved here.

Always nice to see the same scene from a different set of eyes. :cheers:

Actually none of these in this set are combined exposures, #2 and #3 have had the sky and sea pulled back using Capture NX2 and the 14-bit RAW that my trusty D300 produces.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby colin_12 on Mon May 03, 2010 10:10 pm

Glad to hear that you all had fun in the cold. :cheers:
You all have some nice pics to show for it.
Regards Colin
Cameras, lenses and a lust for life
colin_12

Postby aim54x on Mon May 03, 2010 10:19 pm

More contrast to juice up that green Gerry!

Cameron
aim54x

Postby surenj on Mon May 03, 2010 10:22 pm

colin_12 wrote:all had fun in the cold.

Wasn't THAT cold... :roll: Only Gerry was complaining. Could easily manage with two layers, shorts and sandles.

aim54x wrote:#2 and #3 have had the sky and sea pulled back using Capture NX2 and the 14-bit RAW that my trusty D300 produces.

Holy CARP! I didn't realise that the dynamic range is THAT good in 14 bit cameras... :bowdown:
surenj

Postby biggerry on Mon May 03, 2010 11:30 pm

Only Gerry was complaining

man, i must be gettign soft in my old age...cmon tho, i was wearing shorts... :violin:

More contrast to juice up that green Gerry!

excellent and you know what? it actually looks alot more like the true scene that morning :up:
biggerry

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques