Club level Motorsports.

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Club level Motorsports.

Postby bwhinnen on Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:19 pm

Just one of the many shots I took on the day. Enjoyed myself greatly, still have a lot to learn about photography and especially taking those of moving objects.

Taken with the 70-300G.

Cheers
Brett
Last edited by bwhinnen on Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bwhinnen

Postby MHD on Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:23 pm

Well done!!!
Those are the hard shots to get... to get your panning speed just right!
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby Greg B on Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:26 pm

Hey that's just like my car! Except I have the non WRX model, different year, and its blue, no spoiler, hatchback/five door. :)

Excellent shot bwhinnen, and welcome to the forum.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Killakoala on Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:18 pm

Nice car, but as soon as hey hit a pole, they split in two. (Sydney users will understand)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby gstark on Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:28 pm

What about Hungarians, Steve?

Brett,

A few of us enjoy motorsports in varying degrees. I'm less involved at a club level than I have been in the past, but I still use one of my marque's products as my avatar.

But club motorsport is a great way to learn many things, and baseline photographic techniques, and safer driving skills, are well up there amongst them.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Onyx on Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:33 pm

gstark wrote:I still use one of my marque's products as my avatar.

Kelvinator makes cars now? ;)

Hi Brett, welcome. Nice pic, nice car. If you took the picture, who's driving it? Or is it not the car mentioned in your sig?
Onyx

Postby gstark on Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:35 pm

Onyx wrote:
gstark wrote:I still use one of my marque's products as my avatar.

Kelvinator makes cars now?

Not a Kelvinator.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby xerubus on Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:46 pm

good shot brett... panned shots are not easy to master... looks like you're getting the hang of it quite well..

cheers
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby Raydar on Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:01 pm

Great car :D

Great shot :wink:

Well done!!!

Cheers
Ray :P
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby bwhinnen on Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:33 pm

Thanks for your encouraging words :!:

Car is not mine, it is one of my friends I concentrated on taking photo's that day, and I'd have to say it was almost as much fun as being out there with them.

And yes I do know what you mean about poles (well one was a tree and the other two a pole), sad and tragic events over the past few days down your way.

Cheers
Brett
bwhinnen

Postby Tommo on Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:45 pm

Could you please explain how you get these kinda shots? :) I have a Lotus track day on the 15th of this month, and I'd like to try and grab similar stuff, as that's an awesome shot :)

I tried yesterday by setting the Apature down to 3.5, grabbing a focal point near where I knew the car would come past. Then when the car came past, I put the centre target onto the car (whilst keeping focus), and would follow the car in a smooth motion, and grab a few shots. Only about 3 out of the 50 turned out....

Most failed cause the car was blurry, and the background was great :oops:... or in some cases, both were blurry :)

I was trying with the 18-70 kit lens, but I also have a 70-300 (but didn't try with that, i'll need to for the track day though)

Regards,
Tommo.
Tommo

Postby bwhinnen on Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:03 pm

First trick is to put the camera in Shutter priority mode. Then pick a shutter speed that will work, I usually use between 1/160 and 1/250 as I know I can hand hold and pan with that shutter speed and keep it mostly steady. I also put the focus method to continuous servo, so it will change focus for me as long as I keep the car in the central position, otherwise manually focus on a point that will be where the car is. Then just pan with the car and squeeze of a photo.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Brett
bwhinnen

Postby atencati on Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:03 pm

Motorsports are my life.......

http://www.sierrafirerescue.com

Basically I spen a lot of time at race tracks, so I chase the photogs down and grill em as much as possible. I occasionally give them rides in the truck for different perspective as well. Most guys are shoooting (unfortunately) Canon D1S MkII with 300mm 2.8 prime. (or similar)

For good clarity you really need sunlight, as overcast will be hard to get clear images. Shutter priority at approx 1/320 - 1/400. If you want wheel blur go a little less 1/200 or so. It will be hard to get without a fast lens but possible.

The other number 1 consideration, as in real estate. Location. Watch where they shoot from to get ideas. Closer is not always best. They usually pick a fairly slow corner where they can get about a 3/4 view from the front and zoom in enough to get the driver if possible.

If you can set it up. manual focus will speed up write speed or AF-L, no noise reduction, sharpening, etc.

Taht should get you going for now...I'll continue if I think of more

Andy
D70, 70-200VR, 18-70, 50 1.8, SB800
Blackberry PIN: 2029497E
atencati

Postby Tommo on Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:07 pm

bwhinnen wrote:First trick is to put the camera in Shutter priority mode. Then pick a shutter speed that will work, I usually use between 1/160 and 1/250 as I know I can hand hold and pan with that shutter speed and keep it mostly steady. I also put the focus method to continuous servo, so it will change focus for me as long as I keep the car in the central position, otherwise manually focus on a point that will be where the car is. Then just pan with the car and squeeze of a photo.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Brett

Hey Brett,

That did indeed - thanks. I was running in A mode, as I was told to get those kinda shots I had to set the aparture to the lowest number possible, but obviously not!

I'll give that a go! Thanks again for your advice :)

Regards,
Tommo.
Tommo

Postby atencati on Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:17 pm

I also on occasion use manual if I can't get shutter right.

Manual Mode, F4.2, 1/250 80mm (70-300G), Raw+JPG Overcast

Manual Mode, F4.8, 1/160 170mm (70-300G) Raw+JPG Sunny

*notice more wheel blur in the 2nd shot

Wish I had remembered my Circ Pol Filter, shots would have been much Better.

I lear a lot from these guys here

http://www.headonphotos.net

Andy
D70, 70-200VR, 18-70, 50 1.8, SB800
Blackberry PIN: 2029497E
atencati

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques