More animal stuff from Melbourne Zoo

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

More animal stuff from Melbourne Zoo

Postby mudder on Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:51 pm

G'day all,
Got up too late this morning to go down to Lara and check out the Serendip sanctuary, so off to the Melbourne Zoo I go! Can't help myself, confessed animal nut, and this D70 is making it a lot worse :-)

Anyway, these are quickies to post for forum... Used the 80-400VR, as I've just chucked 'em in with the other 80-400VR shots, I've listed them individually here...

http://www.pixspot.com./displayimage.php?album=33&pos=7
http://www.pixspot.com./displayimage.php?album=33&pos=8
http://www.pixspot.com./displayimage.php?album=33&pos=9
http://www.pixspot.com./displayimage.ph ... =33&pos=10
http://www.pixspot.com./displayimage.ph ... =33&pos=11

Any advice and critique is very welcome, bright sun was tricky as you can tell by the shots, had to play a little with DDE (wow, that's a spiffy part of Nikon Capture)

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby Kristine on Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:54 pm

Hi Mudder

Looks like you are making great use of the 80-400VR.

I always like to view your recent uploads.
Kristine

Postby Matt. K on Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:13 pm

Good stuff Mudder! Thanks for posting. Nice lens..too bad it's not F2.8 eh?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby mudder on Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:21 pm

G'day,
Thanks Kristine, can't help it with animals... Especially primates... The people feeding the Giraffe had a ball... I think they were just chosen out of the crowd! Damn!!! I must have been standing in the wrong spot... The crowds at the Zoo today were amazing, public holiday I suppose but wow, there were queues at some displays! The shots of the baby Orangatan was over people's shoulders... Overheard some interesting comments in the background about "check out the photographer's lens" etc... All part of the fun :-)

Matt, to get that reach at F2.8, I think I'd have to sell the house... :(

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby Matt. K on Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:36 pm

Mudder
So? Sell the house.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby nodabs on Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:37 pm

nice shots i'm really looking forward to that lense the only critique i would have is to make sure and get the eye in focus above all else you can have a portrait where the only think in focus is the nearest eye and it will work whereas if the cheeks noce etc is in but eye out you loose some soul in the shot. having said that most of your shots have donne this nicely just something to look out for. nice work :D
nodabs

Postby mudder on Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:13 pm

nodabs wrote:... the only critique i would have is to make sure and get the eye in focus above all else you can have a portrait where the only think in focus is the nearest eye and it will work whereas if the cheeks noce etc is in but eye out you loose some soul in the shot... :D

Good stuff, thanks Nodabs... I must admit I was "fiddling" trying out continuous focus whereas I normally use single focus and I think I struggled to get some shots focussed on the right spot peering over people with the crowds on the public holiday...

In Melbourne, you get a bewdiful day and it brings 'em all out ;-)

Thanks I appreciate the feedback... :-)

Serendip Sanctuary, here I come!!!

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby BBJ on Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:22 pm

Nice Pics mudder, hey mate do u have a 70-300 or anything sim to that lens if so is it possible to get a pic of it and the 80-400 side by side if not doesn't matter just trying to compare size.
Thanks
John
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby mudder on Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:10 am

BBJ wrote:... do u have a 70-300 or anything sim to that lens if so is it possible to get a pic of it and the 80-400 side by side if not doesn't matter just trying to compare size.
Thanks
John

G'day John,
I assume you mean physical size of the lens? I've just labelled the various toys on the coffee table at the recent mini-meet in Burwood...

http://www.pixspot.com./displayimage.ph ... at=0&pos=0

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby BBJ on Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:31 am

Thanks mudder, yes mate thats what i meant.LOl Just wanted to see the size differance between the two.
Thanks mate
John
BBJ
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby mudder on Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:54 am

BBJ wrote:... Just wanted to see the size differance between the two.
BBJ

It all comes down to that size thing again eh? I was most surprised by the difference in weight between the Tamron and Sigma, if I recall correctly (and that's in amongst a few reds ;-) ) I think the Sigma weighed heaps more than the Tamron, just an interesting observation... Dunno if it really means anything or not...

Wasn't sure if I'd fit the text in among the munchies and booze, but hey we really did play with the toys though ;-)

Cheers
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques