Western Plains zoo pics

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Western Plains zoo pics

Postby skippy on Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:23 am

Just uploaded some pics from Western Plains zoo near Dubbo. All taken with the Bigma, most at 500mm.

This links to the album, rather than 11 separate links.
http://www.pixspot.com/thumbnails.php?album=110

Comments? How can I improve these? I know that some of them have unfortunate shadows that could be PSed out, but still new to this and it's late!
Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
skippy

Postby jonnydee on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:13 am

I really like the shot of the giraffe licking the keeper - shows the affection between them, bit of a more unusual animal shot :)
jonnydee

Postby robw25 on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:50 am

love the cheetah shots i tried in theadelaide zoo to get them but i couldnt focus through the fence
cheers rob btw: your not the skippy that was on the sony dpreview site ?
robw25

Postby JordanP on Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:58 pm

thumbs up for the willy wagtail - nice boke.
Craig
JordanP

Postby coolpix on Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:02 pm

Nice photos...the one of the giraffe licking the person is great...well done
Everything is possible, the impossible just takes longer
coolpix

Postby mudder on Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:41 pm

G'day Skip,
The Giraffe "kiss" is a great emotional shot, implies a real bond between keeper and animal (although it's probably after food!), my fav of these is the Cheetah ( http://www.pixspot.com/displayimage.php?album=110&pos=1 ) looks really menacing and purposeful, gives a feeling of the character of the animal... You and the Bigma seem to make a good team...

DDE in Nikon Capture, or shadows tools in either PhotoShop or PaintShopPro would help a lot with the shadow detail, although assumedly at the expense of increased noise... Believe me, I've stuffed up enough to become familiar with DDE ;-)

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:37 pm

skippy - I think the bigma has proven itself. I agree that the bokeh on the willy wagtail is great.

My only suggestion re shots in the shadows is to use spot metering - it would blow the background as in the rhino shot but as it fills most of the frame it would be acceptable.

Must go Red Dwarf is on

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques