Thought I'd join the Seagull club!

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Thought I'd join the Seagull club!

Postby beetleboy on Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:34 pm

Sorry to bore you all with MORE seagull pics but I snapped these fella's down at the Port River (Port Adelaide) with the 70-300mm G Nikkor (thanks birddog!!).

http://www.west.troden.com/D70pics/Seagulls.jpg

http://www.west.troden.com/D70pics/Seagull.jpg

Liam =]
beetleboy

Postby pippin88 on Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:38 pm

Very nice, very sharp. BTW, how did you do the borders? A nice border certainly enhances a photo.
pippin88

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:40 pm

Once again, through your pics, the 70-300G has proven to be a nice lens

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby JordanP on Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:41 pm

Welcome to the club!

Nice sharp and saturated images. I think you also nailed the seagulls best side too in the second shot - up close and personal.
Craig
JordanP

Cheers

Postby beetleboy on Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:06 pm

Thanks for the comments..

RE the 70-300mm G, I've taken the advice of others on the forum with this lens and stick by two rules:

1) f8 (where possible)
2) NO backlighting

Stick by these two rules and the lens makes things look pretty!

pippin88 - the borders are an Action I created in Photoshop. Right click the following link and save the zip file to your computer, unzip it and load the .atn file into Photoshop.

http://www.west.troden.com/beetleboy.zip

Enjoy!

Liam =]
beetleboy

Postby BBJ on Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:08 pm

Nothing like good Seagull pictures and they do make good pics at times when some of us dont have the luxary of having nice pretty birds that will stay long enough to get a pic of them. Well looks like it's Seagulls and Ducks. Good pics Liam.

Oh and i like this lens as well.
Cheers
John
BBJ
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Thanks

Postby beetleboy on Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:21 pm

Cheers BBJ!

I'm trying to get loads of practice in for my upcoming Africa trip!

Liam =]
beetleboy

Postby BBJ on Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:27 pm

Lucky you Liam, Hope u have fun hell mate i get excited when i have to come to Adelaide lol. Only 4.5 hrs away but yeh makes a change from here i guess and i do like it up there for a few days then get sick of the rat race. i wonder how a teleconvertor would go on that lens, something like a 1.4, i was thinking of the 80-400 but then the sigma 70-200 f/2.8 with a 1.4 or 1.7 or even the 2x convertor in the sigma spose to be sharp only the nikon 2x is a bit soft.

Oh well mate u know we all will be waiting for your return to see the pics.
Cheers
John
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby bwhinnen on Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:12 am

Very nice photo's really shows what the 70-300G can do, I was surprised at the results from it when I bought it too.

I really do like the second one better, it really has that "What you looking at me?" look to it. Although being in Port Adelaide some Magpies may have been more prudent :P (ex-pat South Australian and Port Adelaide (not power) supporter)

Cheers
Brett
bwhinnen

Postby mudder on Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:07 pm

G'day,
Wow, the eyes in the second pic ( http://www.west.troden.com/D70pics/Seagull.jpg ) are piercing... Nice border too... Really sets off the pic.

They make good subjects huh... Will have to try the infamous chip trick!

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Brett..

Postby beetleboy on Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:52 pm

A bit off topic but you wouldn't happen to know Tristan Whinnen would you Brett?! Email me if you do!

I'm a bit out of touch with the footy, have just moved back here from England...

Mudder; you're definitely right about the seagulls being good subjects. I wish I could get my little 2nd cousins to sit patiently for so long!

Liam =]
beetleboy

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques