Recently finished images (UK Trip)

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Recently finished images (UK Trip)

Postby Alpha_7 on Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:40 am

It's been a while since I last shared some images (other then the photos of toilets for the recent time snap). So while I haven't taken many recently (expect a lot of self portraits and images of my Leica camera) I'd share a few more from my trip.

#1 Bridge in the Valley
This was taken from the car window while driving through Loch Ness back to Edinburgh, my favourite aspect of this image is the bridge at the bottom really puts the mountains in perspective, they are BIG!

#2 Mum, I'm on top of the world!
Isn’t it funny how technology has invaded almost every aspect of our life. This shot was taken as I was watching one of the most magical sunsets I’ve seen. I turn around and saw a single figure on the top of the hill and first though he was enjoying the view as well, until I noticed the mobile to his ear. Was he oblivious to the sunset consumed by his conversation, or was he calling home to tell his mum what he was witnessing.

#3 Edinburgh Streets
Probably not everyones cup of tea, this shot used Photomatix to enhance the dynamic range.

#4 A Stolen Moment
This Parisian waiter takes a few long drags of his cigarette in between serving customers, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity of taking his photograph has he enjoyed his stolen moment, it had a very Parisian feel to it.
Alpha_7

Postby jamesw on Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:55 am

not really offering crit... but all of those made me say 'wow'
body: nikon d200, d70s, f4s, f601.
lens:nikon 35-70mm f2.8, 70-300mm f4-5.6, 10.5mm f2.8, 20mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8.
flash: nikon sb600, sunpak 383 (x1), sunpak 555 (x4), pocketwizard plus II (x4)
jamesdwade.com
dishonourclothing.com
jamesw

Postby Underload on Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:16 am

The story behind number 2 is great :) I really like the look of 3, and you're right, 4 has a real story and feel to it.
D200 + stuff
Underload

Postby CraigVTR on Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:34 am

Craig

Great shots
Those Scottish hills are really big. It is hard to get a sense of scale when there are no trees or other objects with which to compare. I was in Scotland a bit over twelve months ago and went the chair lift at Glen Coe ski resort. From the top of the mountain we watch a couple of fighter jets fly through the valley below. They looked like flies.

#3 looks slightly weird to me as there seems to be limited contrast. Did climb the Scott Monument?

Craig
Craig
Lifes journey is not to arrive at our grave in a well preserved body but, rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Wow what a ride."
D70s, D300, 70-300ED, 18-70 Kit Lens, Nikkor 105 Micro. Manfrotto 190Prob Ball head. SB800 x 2.
CraigVTR

Postby glennles on Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:44 am

My favourite is the first one. I really like the sky. Your eyes have to do some work to find the bridge :)

These pictures aren't helping me keep the travel bug in check :shock:
glennles

Postby blacknstormy on Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:50 am

Craig - I adore #3 - and am now off on the web finding out some more info on photomatrix !!!! :) (oops, photomatix)
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! -Ansel Adams

http://www.redbubble.com/people/blacknstormy
blacknstormy

Postby radar on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:18 pm

A really nice series here Craig,

First and last ones for me. B&W makes it very nice in both of them,

cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Alex on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Some great images, Craig! 2, 3 and 4 are excellent. Each has its attractive points. I love the way sunlight shine on the face of the building in No.3.

Alex
Alex

Postby Wocka on Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:14 pm

Craig,

Great shots.

We did our honeymoon through UK / Scotland / Ireland 4 years ago, self drive. Unfortunatly we did the Edinburgh to Loch Ness and return on a coach tour ( 12 hours ).

While looking out the window I was mumbling to the good wife "we should have driven this part and done it over 3 days". I don't think the coach driver would have appreciated me yelling out "stop the bus, I want to take a photo ( or 40 )", every 5 km's or so.

I would love to see more of the Loch Ness area, in colour is you have them as well. We did this in May and there was still snow of the top of the mountains. Spectacular scenery, must get back there one day.

Cheers
Warwick
=======
Canon 40D : 350D
Canon 18-55mm : Canon 75-300mm IS USM : Sigma 30mm EX HSM DC 1.4 : Sigma 10-20mm
Wocka

Postby Bluebell on Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:29 pm

So glad to see there are still some more from your trip to look forward to.
Number 1 is great, I like the way you have to look hard to see the bridge.
Number 2 is my equal favorite. I'm betting he hiked up there because it was the only place he could find a signal.
Thanks for sharing these. :)
Nikon D700 D300
Bluebell

Postby gstark on Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:52 pm

Craig,

What a delightful selection of images you have presented to us this time.

The first one, I think, printed large (and maybe in colour?) would present a very imposing image.

The third one is a wonderful image of a city that has some beautiful buildings, and the fourth ... All I can say is "yes!"
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:24 pm

Wonderful Craig, thoroughly enjoyable browsing.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby Cre8tivepixels on Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:49 pm

Number 4.....and 1 awesome buddy as has been said before you have come along way and have a great eye!

Dan
Cre8tivepixels

Postby Geoff on Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:53 pm

Craig - some great work here. You must be proud of your improvements in photography over the last few years..well done buddy!
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:53 am

Craig, awesome photos here. I love the perspective of the first, and the candidness of the 4th. Well done.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:16 pm

really love the 2nd and 4th one Craig. You've certainly progressed leaps and bounds. Great stuff!
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby Oz_Beachside on Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:38 pm

#4 is my favourite!

very nice way to capture the feel of a city, capture the "smoko". thanks for sharing!
Oz_Beachside

Postby Greg B on Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:19 am

Fantastic shots Craig, I love the treatment in #3
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Matt. K on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:55 pm

Craig
Your photography has improved by degrees over time and these are excellent! Each stands without fault on its own merit. Keep them coming.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:49 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone I appreciate your comments.
Alpha_7

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques