Sweet Candy

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Sweet Candy

Postby Geoff on Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:36 pm

Here's a few of mine from the shoot yesterday.
Comments & criticism welcomed.
For next time, we learnt a few valuable things, they were;
1. To have more props.
2. Have more of an idea formulated for what type of positions/poses we want the model in
3. Flick through magazines and get more ideas for the type of shoot we want to aim for.

Anyway...

Desaturated look:

Black backdrop, utilising the wonderful beauty dish:

High key 1:

High key BW:
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Re: Sweet Candy

Postby stubbsy on Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:01 pm

Geoff

Very nice group of shots.

#1 is fantastic. The composition etc are A1 and the desat PP gives it a fantastic 50's feeling to me.

#2 isn't far behind - great eye contact nice even light and I if didn't know it was the same model, well I'd think they were different models. #1 looks cool & sophisticated. #2 looks brash & cheeky. Go figure.

#3 - this one says 70's to me - I like this, but not as much as the first tow - the background is too bright I think.

#4 - I'd like to see this in colour, having seen Gary's shot.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Geoff on Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:13 pm

Thanks for the comments Peter..The 3rd image is meant to be a high key look, with a bright background...but I take on board you think it's perhaps too bright...

Here's the colour version of the B&W image:
Geoff
Geoff

Postby Reschsmooth on Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:48 pm

These are great, Geoff, and consider the 4th in colour better than the B&W. The red just pops. For the first two, I would have liked to have seen just a bit of skin smoothing, if you know what I mean.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Willy wombat on Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:51 pm

Geoff wrote:3. Flick through magazines and get more ideas for the type of shoot we want to aim for.

It sounds too simple but this is a good idea. Emulating a look from a mag is a great way to learn
Steve (Nikon D200/D700)
My photography website http://wwphoto.redbubble.com/
My photo blog http://www.redbubble.com/people/wwphoto
Please feel free to offer any constructive criticism on my works
Willy wombat

Postby stubbsy on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:07 pm

Geoff - #3 in colour is streets in front of the B & W
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Alex on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:09 pm

No.1 and the last one in colour are great images, especially the last one.

Well done.

Alex
Alex

Postby surenj on Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:04 pm

Great stuff... after having seen the setup I wondered whether you guys had a hairlight or something harsh which could have helped in the first or second shots to have a rim lighting effect...
surenj

Postby Glen on Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:05 pm

Geoff, don't know how I missed these yesterday, the 3rd and 4 th are great and an extra dimension to go with the mornings shots
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Geoff on Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:21 pm

Thanks guys,
Surenj - iirc we used only two softboxes just angled differently for the first shot in this series.
The second one was improved with the softness of a beauty dish...
I can't tell you how much fun we had...it was indeed a great day, but I've said that already :)
Geoff
Geoff

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques