Anyone care to guess....

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Anyone care to guess....

Postby Bindii on Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:43 am

what I did on the weekend? :P

Okay.. I know the images aren't the best but it was rough out there and the damn boat just wouldn't stop rocking.. mind out of the gutter peoples it was the waves I say... the waves... :wink:

The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but it's still on the list... ;)
Bindii

Re: Anyone care to guess....

Postby fozzie on Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:58 am

Bindii - the conditions certainly look harsh. #3 the Whale Tail is the money shot for me, great shooting. One thing that surprises me, is how close the boat is to the whale in the fourth shot, as I thought there was an exclusion zone of several hundred metres.

fozzie - gutter mind :lol:
fozzie
Key Member

Postby Bindii on Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:09 am

fozzie wrote:One thing that surprises me, is how close the boat is to the whale in the fourth shot, as I thought there was an exclusion zone of several hundred metres.

fozzie - gutter mind :lol:

There is... but the whales swam up to the boats themselves.. they are allowed to approach you.. but you are not allowed to approach them.. in this case the whales insisted on coming in close to the boats.. I'm sure they were checking us out just as much as we were them.. several times they came so close to our boat (and its only a private 28foot boat not a huge whale watching boat) that I was unable to take a shot as they were too close to focus...

:)

lmao @ gutter mind.. ;)
Bindii

Postby robw25 on Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:26 pm

sue
you are so lucky .... this is high on my list of to do's
cheers rob
robw25

Postby hrpremier on Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:53 pm

Bindii. Well done on the pics. Been whale watching off Coffs before and not easy to capture them in choppy conditions. They appear and disappear so quickly. Love shot number 4 as its so close to the boat and show just how big these animals really are. Great shots. Congrats

Jase

Guess What! ........I Have A Fever........And The Only Perscription........Is More Cowbell.
hrpremier

Postby PiroStitch on Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:59 pm

love the first one bindii. Also is that rain or over-active use of the burn tool in the second pic as the darkened sky looks a bit unnatural compared to the rest of the sky.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby Bindii on Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:28 pm

PiroStitch wrote:love the first one bindii. Also is that rain or over-active use of the burn tool in the second pic as the darkened sky looks a bit unnatural compared to the rest of the sky.

Thanks.. and no use of the bun tool in any of them at all... I was shooting into the sun though so that might explain it.. :)
Bindii

Postby BullcreekBob on Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:19 pm

Bindii wrote:Thanks.. and no use of the bun tool in any of them at all...

What a great sounding tool !! Whoo hoo, now I can put buns in all my images.

What software has this amazing tool that I need?
BullcreekBob

Postby ebarra8 on Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:55 pm

Bindi, great shots considering the conditions you worked in. Love pics 3 and 4
ebarra8

Postby carla_d on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:03 pm

looks like a beautiful day :)
carla_d

Postby Matt. K on Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:48 pm

Take 2 very large chop sticks and.... :D :D :D :D :D
(on second thought...maybe not. They look like sperm whales)
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby wheels on Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:10 pm

All this talk of whale tails, bun tools and sperm whales has really dragged this thread out of the gutter - Not!! :D

Oh, I like #3 Sue. Nice shot. Did you use a ND filter to try and reduce the glare?
wheels

Postby Bindii on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:32 am

BullcreekBob wrote:What a great sounding tool !! Whoo hoo, now I can put buns in all my images.

You can.. but then Gary would insist that he personally checked all your images before you got to post em.. quality control ya know.. :wink:

Matt. K wrote:Take 2 very large chop sticks and.... :D :D :D :D :D
(on second thought...maybe not. They look like sperm whales)

Thats ok..

just don't swallow... :P

wheels wrote:All this talk of whale tails, bun tools and sperm whales has really dragged this thread out of the gutter - Not!! :D

Oh, I like #3 Sue. Nice shot. Did you use a ND filter to try and reduce the glare?

And for once it wasn't me! *insert innocent angel smiley here*

and no ND filter.. although it would have been handy! :)
Bindii

Postby Killakoala on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:00 pm

Rough, you say Sue....
http://www.stevekilburn.com/photos/35418705_PW6Fn-O.jpg
http://www.stevekilburn.com/photos/35418735_XHUpQ-O.jpg
About halfway across the Great Australian Bight I shot this large merchant ship we passed when I was on HMAS Manoora.

Great images. You have done well with them. The glare of the sea is always a problem. It's never easy shooting in those conditions but you have done well. (I think I just said that)

It's good to see so many whales wallowing about. It wasn't that long ago seeing them was much more hit and miss because of their low populations. They are breeding really well. Maybe that was what was rocking your boat :)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Bindii on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:06 am

Killakoala wrote:Rough, you say Sue....
http://www.stevekilburn.com/photos/35418705_PW6Fn-O.jpg
http://www.stevekilburn.com/photos/35418735_XHUpQ-O.jpg
About halfway across the Great Australian Bight I shot this large merchant ship we passed when I was on HMAS Manoora.

Whoa that does look rough.. although I am guessing that the HMAS Manoora is a tad larger and more stable than the 28 footer I was on at the time.. *nods*.. :P
Bindii

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques