Some portrait attempts

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Some portrait attempts

Postby Darxtorm on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:11 pm

Hi fellow dslrers. Long time listener, first time poster :)

I recently had a chance to play around with a friend's speedlight. Here are a few of my favourites, two of which are self portraits. Please let me know what you think, as I'm rather green, especially in the creative lighting department.

(Hope this works)

preg_replace($acronyms_match, $acronyms_repl, 'Image')

I was using my Nikon D80 with 18-200VR on a Velbon tripod and using an SB600 on commander mode for these three.

Thanks!
I am not very confident with post-processing, so please feel free to edit and repost.
Nikon D80 * 18-200VR * 50/1.8 * Nikon FTn * 50/2.0
70-210/4.5-5.6 * 90-230/4.5 * 200/3.5 * 135/2.8
Darxtorm

Re: Some portrait attempts

Postby Alpha_7 on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:21 pm

Hey Joel,

Good to see you on here finally sharing some of your work, (it's about time).

#1 I like this one, it's funny as it feels relaxed even though it looks somewhat posed at the same time. I'd have prefer if you kept the background as all of the colours wall and exluded to corner and the grey wall, move her further down the bed, and keep the background seemless. - You could crop it down, but given the composition you'd lose some of her arm

#2 I like this self portrait, it's well exposed I like how your shadow blends in with the light fall off on the background, good for a start, I'd be tempted to put a reflect to bounce a little light into the back of your head and give your hair a little pop against the background.

#3 I like it, but a few thing that jump out at me, the horizontal line in the background severs your head, a compositional no-no, and then the window does the same higher up. I'd have put the timer on the camera, to avoid you seeing the remote, but thats more a personal preference thing. I'd have also tired (with a snoot or gobo) to avoid the light / shadow from your shoulder on the back wall I find it also distracts.

Hope this helps, and looking forward to seeing a lot more photos from you, now you've made the plunge!
Alpha_7

Re: Some portrait attempts

Postby Darxtorm on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:59 pm

#1 I definitely think I'll be moving her up the bed next time. I noticed working with the fill flash the (close) background becomes much more noticable than what you see through the finder. I basically woke Georgie up by taking Charlie in and shoving a lens and flash in her face, so some preparation might be in order next time too :D

#2 Thanks, a back of head reflector would have been a great idea... Where's my lackey?!

#3 Dammit, you're right and I only noticed the shadow in upper right after I posted it. Also, I hear ya about the remote... I started using the timer a few shots after this but the dark expression was too priceless in this one to lose (imho)

Hopefully once I figure out how to do more than white balance in post I can rescue some of these a little. I just realised that all three have problems in the upper right... Perhaps I need to pay more attention to that area of frame?
I am not very confident with post-processing, so please feel free to edit and repost.
Nikon D80 * 18-200VR * 50/1.8 * Nikon FTn * 50/2.0
70-210/4.5-5.6 * 90-230/4.5 * 200/3.5 * 135/2.8
Darxtorm

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques