Crap Light High ISO??

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Crap Light High ISO??

Postby inmotion on Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:36 am

I Shot dirtkarts on Sat and I Guess it was a case of getting the best resulr from a VERY poorly lit track.The white balance seemed to vary with the postn on the track as the lights were localised'
D3 --70-200 f2.8 VR Apituer priority--12700iso

inmotion

Re: Crap Light High ISO??

Postby Murray Foote on Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:42 am

They look pretty good "at that speed". I think the key is even illumination so that after kicking in with the high ISO everything looks fairly bright.

I've usually avoided ISO that high because I tend to shoot in uneven light situations and end up with more noise than I'd like in the shadows.

Regards,
Murray
Murray Foote

Postby inmotion on Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:56 am

Thanks Murray these were ok I think , I was pleased to be able to photograph at all after 550 km round trip.The AF was slow which didnt help if there was a prang and i could only shoot where the lights were at there best.However this was better than no night shots at all
Cheers jim :cheers:
inmotion

Postby surenj on Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:53 pm

I was thinking whether you could use a speedlite (gelled to fit the tunsten balance) with a large piece of white cloth (Joe Mcnally style) to boost the lighting on these? Do they allow flash at these locations?

Just a thought to reduce the ISO...
surenj

Postby Murray Foote on Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:59 pm

That might be desirable to increase resolution and reduce noise. Even diffused, though, the flash would lighten the foreground more than the subject which might not be desirable. You might then need to play around in Photoshop with a combination of gradation and masking.
Murray Foote

Postby chrisk on Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:06 pm

i hope the title is in jest. :shock: iso 12800...are you serious ? for that iso they look SUPERB. sheesh, only 2 years ago that would have been great quality for iso1600 let alone 12800.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby inmotion on Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:22 pm

HI Guys I left my Sb900 home --CRAP, not next time.The on board flash lit up the forground way too much but I was thinking next time to set up 2 stobes in softboxes either side of the track as high as I can and fire by radio, maybee with Rooz sugestion of Cybersyncs??Also I found that the WB was allover the shop even on successive shots showing the soil as rich red/brown to a pale tan,could this be due to the nature of the variable intensity of the lighting.

:cheers: jim
inmotion

Postby glamy on Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:02 pm

Rooz wrote:i hope the title is in jest. :shock: iso 12800...are you serious ? for that iso they look SUPERB. sheesh, only 2 years ago that would have been great quality for iso1600 let alone 12800.

:agree:
glamy

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques