Victorian High Country

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Victorian High Country

Postby sheepie on Sun May 02, 2010 10:40 am

Spent a week wandering around the Victorian High Country a couple of weeks ago - very different to my usual trips ;)

A couple of my favourites from the trip - comments appreciated :)

*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Re: Victorian High Country

Postby Raskill on Sun May 02, 2010 11:34 am

Nice mate, I want to do the high country one day. What sort of truck you got? I like the first one, underexposed skies are a favourite of mine.
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby aim54x on Sun May 02, 2010 11:57 am

Capturing the mist and fog is wonderful, it looks like it was a great trip. Im with Raskill, that sky is very nice!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby stubbsy on Sun May 02, 2010 12:45 pm

#3 Leon - mist, leading lines - wonderful
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby gstark on Sun May 02, 2010 12:57 pm

Loverlicious set of images, Leon.

In #3 ... did you shoot some from a little further towards the right, placing the tack further towards the bl corner?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby glamy on Sun May 02, 2010 2:26 pm

Leon,
#3 for me as well :up:
The first one does not have enough detail in the middle, the second one... The last one without the car would be better.
glamy

Postby biggerry on Sun May 02, 2010 5:44 pm

I really like the last image, the 4wd in the frame adds to it and gives the image context, especially given it appears to be a 4wd track.

The first image is very well done also imo. taking an image into the sun like that and not gettign any significant flare and exposing correctly is no easy task.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby Matt. K on Sun May 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Leon
Beautiful images. Some of your finest. I spent a lot of time around the Viccy alps....I just love that area. It can get very very cold in a wink of an eye and you need to be well prepared.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Big V on Mon May 03, 2010 12:46 am

I like the mood and the sense of scale the car has added in number 3
Canon
Big V

Postby colin_12 on Mon May 03, 2010 10:15 pm

How was the condition of the track system Leon?
It seems to have been a nice trip. :up:
Regards Colin
Cameras, lenses and a lust for life
colin_12

Postby Killakoala on Tue May 04, 2010 11:28 pm

The fog really does add a lovely atmosphere to the image. A modern day McCubbin :)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby PiroStitch on Wed May 05, 2010 12:03 am

Have you tried a square crop of the last photo to focus on the trees and light through the fog?

Light through fog is just magical!
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby spesh on Wed May 05, 2010 9:59 am

Came back to this one today just to say I love the 3rd image with the trees and the car... really gives perspective on the environment. Well done :)
Nikon (growing quickly!)

http://www.perfectcapture.com.au
spesh

Postby sheepie on Wed May 05, 2010 8:30 pm

Thanks all for the comments!

Raskill - I'm getting around in a Navara D22 now, gets me a few places the Subaru wouldn't even dream of getting! There's some pretty cool spots over your way which I've been enjoying, been to Sunny Corner a few times (up to the Turon River - going there again in a couple of weeks :) ).

Gary - afraid not mate - I have to admit to being a 'snapper' more these days than really looking at getting a great image. I should spend a bit more time looking for angles I guess! Then again, there's only a small amount of time before the other car catches up to you!

Biggerry - thanks for the comment re #4, I think you have seen the emotive aspect of this shot for me. I like these sort of shots as they take me back to the time and place they were taken. While I agree the shot would probably work for some without the front of the vehicle, I don't think I would have the emotive attachment to the image without it.

Colin - the tracks we took were mostly in great condition. We definately put the Rav4 (my brother's car) through it's paces! Mostly, we were on forrestry 'roads' but there were also a couple of geniune 4wd tracks as well. It's a nice change from the lack of tracks through much of NSW - I reckon you could spend months driving around down there and still not cover them all.
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby agriffiths on Wed May 05, 2010 9:07 pm

I love the second shot. There's something about the perspective and the dirt rd leading up past the dead tree that really draws you in.

Of course the 3rd shot is also fantastic.
Nikon 14-24 / 24-70 / 80-200 AFS / 50mm1.4 / 10.5 / 60mm Macro
http://www.lensaloft.com.au
agriffiths

Postby hrpremier on Thu May 06, 2010 11:44 am

Love the suns rays in number 1. Great Shot especially with the different levels of rolling hills. Very nice.

Number 2 is a fantastice photo but even though the person adds perspective to the shot I think it also kills the overall picture.

Number 3 is the standout for me. Very good composition and great use of natural light.

Number 4 does not have a wow factor for me . Looks like just stuck camera out of window while driving and a got a lucky shot.

Overall nice series though.

Jase
Guess What! ........I Have A Fever........And The Only Perscription........Is More Cowbell.
hrpremier

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques