The Gathering

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

The Gathering

Postby biggerry on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:59 am

I am keen for some thoughts on this image - processing wise, it was shot for the specific purpose of converting to monochrome, so colour is not an option, compositionally I wanted a simple landscape, there is plenty of room to move and crop in this frame since it's a about 10 vertical frames stitched together.

Possibly cropping from the right to remove some of the negative space which seems not to be used due to the inclusion of the roos on the left?

Last edited by biggerry on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Re: The Gathering

Postby ozimax on Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:52 pm

I don't know what it is Gerry, but I like this. The image is lonely, sad maybe, and evokes feeling. Are you going to print it large?
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby gstark on Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:21 pm

Love it, and yes, print it BIG

I'd certainly try cropping it from the right, about halfway between the current rh edge and the tree should do the trick.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby zafra52 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:37 pm

I agree with gstark. However, I puzzled by the title.
zafra52

Postby Murray Foote on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:51 pm

Gathering of the bouncing sheep, I think.

Very sparse and dramatic and impressive. I don't think cropping in from the right will help the composition. However, it might be worth trying moving the tree and the shadow further up the hill to the left.
Murray Foote

Postby gstark on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:11 am

Murray Foote wrote:However, it might be worth trying moving the tree and the shadow further up the hill to the left.

Probably be a good idea to get permission from the property owner before doing that. :biglaugh:
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Murray Foote on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:21 am

He'll never notice.
Murray Foote

Postby gstark on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:34 am

Dunno.

I'd have thought that moving the shadow (as well as the tree) would have been a dead giveaway.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:29 pm

My thought - get rid of the sheep to give total isolation to the tree. Sorry Gary, but this is a very stark image that works in many different ways.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Matt. K on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:32 pm

The image commands attention because of its scale and because the composition eases the eye to the tree, the dominant tonal feature. The space around the tree gives it a prominence, an importance, in the image space. There is a mystery to the tiny figures on the left, but the sloping horizon, which is the dominant line in the image space, rolls the eye back to the tree. The 2 major tones being the ground and the sky balance each other perfectly and help to keep the tree 'suspended' in its almost dead centre position in the composition. I like the image because its apparent simplicity is cloaking a complex arrangement that has been duly considered during it construction.
That's my take, anyway.
Last edited by Matt. K on Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

The Gathering

Postby Geoff M on Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:19 pm

A most pleasing presentation, I would leave it 'as is'. Very well done.

Geoff
Fuji X-Pro1 | X-E1 | X-T1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com

http://xtographer.weebly.com
Geoff M

Postby biggerry on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:58 am

ozimax wrote:I don't know what it is Gerry, but I like this. The image is lonely, sad maybe, and evokes feeling. Are you going to print it large?

cheers mate, i will probably never print it..i have not printed anything but kid photos for years :)

gstark wrote:Love it, and yes, print it BIG

I'd certainly try cropping it from the right, about halfway between the current rh edge and the tree should do the trick.

Murray Foote wrote:Very sparse and dramatic and impressive. I don't think cropping in from the right will help the composition. However, it might be worth trying moving the tree and the shadow further up the hill to the left.

Thanks Gary and Murray, i will reprocess it with with those options, the crop from the right looks promising and creates an entirely different feel - I still find it quite incredible how the placement of a single item within a frame can drastically change the impact of a image.

zafra52 wrote:I agree with gstark. However, I puzzled by the title.

thanks Zafra, ya gotta view the larger version, they are roo's up on the hill.

sirhc55 wrote:My thought - get rid of the sheep to give total isolation to the tree. Sorry Gary, but this is a very stark image that works in many different ways.

I thought about that, but did not give it a go - standby for a ultra minimalist version ;)

Matt. K wrote:The image commands attention because of its scale and because the composition eases the eye to the tree, the dominant tonal feature. The space around the tree gives it a prominence, an importance, in the image space. There is a mystery to the tiny figures on the right, but the sloping horizon, which is the dominant line in the image space, rolls the eye back to the tree. The 2 major tones being the ground and the sky balance each other perfectly and help to keep the tree 'suspended' in its almost dead centre position in the composition. I like the image because its apparent simplicity is cloaking a complex arrangement that has been duly considered during it construction.
That's my take, anyway.

Matt, thanks for taking the time to put down your thoughts, your view and comment is always insightful and a pleasure to read.

Geoff M wrote:A most pleasing presentation, I would leave it 'as is'. Very well done.
Geoff

Thanks Geoff, appreciate the comment mate.
biggerry

Postby biggerry on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:52 pm

finally got some time to have another look at this image, here are a couple of variations, with my favorite being the crop from the right.

without roos

crop from the right
biggerry

Postby Murray Foote on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:30 am

I do prefer the second one and don't think you want to lose the bouncing sheep.
Murray Foote

Postby gstark on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:10 am

As the roadie said (to noone in particular) "two. Two."
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby zafra52 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:49 am

The second take work for me better. 3/3 :up:
zafra52

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques