Macro Extension Tube

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Macro Extension Tube

Postby Big Monkey on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:18 pm

Hi all,

I am wanting to try and do a few macro shots with the D200, are the Macro Extension Tube's that you see on EBAY ok for a beginner wanting to try it out?

Or would I be better off saving up and getting real macro lens? Money is a bit tight at the moment with xmas approaching fast! :shock:

I have a 18-200vr, would the tube work with it?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Ryan
Big Monkey

Postby radar on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:24 pm

Ryan,

The Kenko extension tubes work very nicely with the D200. I've only used them on prime lenses. I have used them on a 50mm lens and a 300mm lens.

They are very good for macro and I have seen plenty of good results over the years.

I don't see why it wouldn't work on the 18-200 but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chip in :D

Cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby moz on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:27 pm

macro extension tubes are a good start, and people do keep using them forever because they make a dedicated macro lens that extra bit more useful. Might be worth checking out some of the cheap close-up lenses too. Those screw on to your filter thread and allow closer focus (at the expense of infinity focus, but of course they screw off easily too).

I don't shoot a lot of macro so I use a closeup lens and extension tubes (plus teleconverter) fhen I do want macro. That lets me get close enough to lose the edges of a 5c piece which is good enough for me. The closeup lens is also useful in that I don't have to open the camera up to put it on, so when I'm in dirty places I can just whack it on the front of whatever lens I'm using (well, the 24-70 or 70-200 anyway, which are the ones that macro makes sense for).
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Postby ATJ on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:59 pm

Extension tubes are very inexpensive way to get into the world pf macro photography. The great thing about them is they are so simple that even "cheap" will give good results. There is also no glass to degrade the quality of the image.

They work by having the same effect as focusing. When you focus on something close, the lens element(s) move further from the film/sensor allowing you to focus on something closer. The extension tube just moves the lens elements even further away allowing even closer focusing.

You can use an extension tube on just about any lens, but the effect of the tube will depend on the length of the tube and the focal length of the lens. Any tube will have much greater effect on a shorter lens than on a telephoto lens. Longer tubes have greater effect than shorter tubes.

One problem with a extension tube is they simple mean you can focus closer. i.e. the end of the lens will be closer to the subject. On a short lens this may mean you only have a working distance of a couple of centimetres of even less.

If you put one behind a 18-200mm lens, you will probably find that at 18mm you will be too close for it to be useful and at 200mm it may not do much at all. You should be able to find a focal length, though, that will be useful.
ATJ

Postby moz on Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:50 pm

ATJ is correct, and in fact my 50mm lens with a couple of extenders on it will happily focus on a piece of paper sitting on the filter. This is useful for backlit photos of flat, semi-transparent things but not much use for anything else. I use my 70-200 as a macro lens a fair bit for this reason, it's not as good as the Sigma 150/28 but it's still nice (and it has IS, which the Sigma doesn't). The Nikon 105VR is nice for that reason.
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions