Probably very dumb qu about D40 viewfinder

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Probably very dumb qu about D40 viewfinder

Postby shteeve5150 on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:52 am

This question probably smacks of inexperience or worse, ignorance, but I shall ask anyway and attempt to weather the barrage.

If I holding my Nikon D40 at an awkward angle and it is hard to see through the optical viewfinder, is it possible to use the screen as a viewfinder in the same way that compact digital cameras are used? Now, if this is so, I am not going to run around holding my d40 our in front of me to do portraits etc.
steve
shteeve5150

Re: Probably very dumb qu about D40 viewfinder

Postby shakey on Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:25 am

Unfortunately not, the D40 LCD cannot act as a viewfinder. The D300 and D3 have a similar facility through "live view" however.
shakey

Postby Alpha_7 on Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:22 pm

There are some other options aswell, there is a eyepiece adapter that the real name escapes me but its a bit like a videocamera monocle that allows you to frame shots at funny angles of low to the ground. (Its a bit like a L piece of a periscope) I think they aren't too expensive, a few members have them, wish I could remember the real name.

The Zigview is also another option, its basically another adapter but battery powered with a small LCD that shows you what it sees through the viewfinder. One of the versions comes with the LCD attached via a cable so you can have it a few feet from the camera. It isn't the cheapest of toys.

Otherwise as Shakey said the newer model cameras have live view that would do the trick, but I don't recommend upgrading for that feature alone.
Alpha_7

Postby seeto.centric on Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:29 pm

Alpha, I believe the first gadget you mentioned is an angle finder?

eg.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-5X-Angle-Finde ... dZViewItem

Zigview sounds like an interesting idea.. never heard of such a thing hehe

-j
seeto.centric

Postby Alpha_7 on Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:35 pm

Angle finder! arh, you had one on the walk around the harbour right ?

the zigview are cool!
http://www.zigview.co.uk/
Alpha_7

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions