Yet another DSR newbie (but i've used lots of other stuff)

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Yet another DSR newbie (but i've used lots of other stuff)

Postby mike-s on Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:22 pm

Hi, new to the forum and i believe my first post and thread too.
I wasn't sure where to put a bit of an introduction as well as announce my DLSR newness to the world, so i guess until the admins delete it, here will do Nicely.

Just a brief background for myself first. I've been a bit of a photo-nut for a few years now, having done film photography in college as well as extending it into my post-schooling years with a old 100% manual Pentax with a handful of lenses (Macro, 20-60, etc). A few years ago i even got a Fuji Finepix S5500 which i think i've shot about 15-20k shots with (at best guess, the real number totally eludes me to be honest) and am continually experimenting and practicing with my photography. The latest step in my adventure is having bought a Nikon D100 body, which i am working on getting at least a 18/20 - 55/60 lens for at the moment so the thing is at least functional and i can play with my new toy.

So yes, here i am, a lamb in the digital wilderness :)
mike-s

Re: Yet another DSR newbie (but i've used lots of other stuff)

Postby ewm3 on Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:37 pm

Welcome to the forum. Its a great place to watch and learn. Send some picturs in for comments by the more experienced. They are a good bunch! I'm fairly new too. Where are you located? What are yout intrsts?
Eric in Adelaide
Eric in Adelaide

Nikon gear but looking for talent...
ewm3

Postby mike-s on Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:33 am

Cheers for that Eric, I figured that i'm on enough automotive forums, i might as well have a look at some photography forums and see what i can pick up. I've already put in my location as Sydney, more specifically Botany or so. Interests wise, well aside from photography and a bit of computer related stuff, im an avid motorcyclist and, well, to be honest i don't have any more hobbies than that as that's expensive enough as it is.

P.S. glad to finally see a forum that says no to SMS and "netspeak" on forums.
mike-s

Postby gstark on Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:37 am

mike-s wrote:Cheers for that Eric, I figured that i'm on enough automotive forums,

Mike,

We have more than a handful of members here with an interest in things automotive. Some of us even used to play in the dirt at night. Should we perhaps organise a late night F1 watching (on tv/projector) minimeet?

I've already put in my location as Sydney, more specifically Botany or so.

Could you please update your profile to reflect something more specific than Sydney? (You too, Eric, re Adelaide) If you read the FAQ and the message for newer members on the front page, you will see that just naming your capital city is specifically not permitted. In being more specific, it's amazing how much more relevant and helpful we're able to be as different issues arise.

P.S. glad to finally see a forum that says no to SMS and "netspeak" on forums.

Although we've never had to enforce this, I have seen a few exceptions here. It's a matter of how hard do you come down on people for that sort of thing? An occasional slip of the keyboard is ok, but, and as stated in the FAQ, we do speak English here ... and sometimes we do get to have fun with the language too.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Marvin on Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:12 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum.
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions