Picture of the week - 17 March 2009

Each week, one of the moderators or administrators selects an image that, for whatever reason, catches their eye. Please feel free to add your comments here. Vigorous discussion of the images and techniques is welcome and encouraged. Criticism of any mod for their choice is not. Please note that this is "Picture of the Week"; do not confuse that with "best picture of the week", which is a concept of which we have no understanding.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Picture of the week - 17 March 2009

Postby sheepie on Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:45 pm

Well - it's my pleasure again to have a chance to choose Picture of the Week - not an easy task, but an enjoyable one. It's been a couple of very busy months for me and I haven't had much chance to get on here lately. So being next up to choose POTW was a good push in the backside to have a look at what's been going on ;)

The picture that most stands out to me from this week's crop is the first one in the "Abandoned and Forgotten" thread by Monty - http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=35950

I'm not really sure what it is that attracts me to this - perhaps it's my love of the way the Aussie bush looks, or maybe the timelessness the treatment has portrayed. Either way, it is a picture which tells a story - it has an emotive feel to it, and leaves you wanting to know a little about the subject. In truth, it's probably a scene repeated a thousand times over around the country - it is, though, one of those scenes which just screams Australia.

Congratulations Monty - a really nice capture :)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Re: Picture of the week - 17 March 2009

Postby Big Red on Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:19 pm

Congrats Monty, it really is "Australia" :-)
Big Red

Postby newmankl on Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:22 pm

Excellent photo, well deserved in my opinion.

These pictures of the week never cease to amaze me.

Newman.
newmankl

Postby biggerry on Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:22 am

Awesome, great composition and even better treatment to get that 'old school' look, even down to the rounded corners.

Well done, great to see something different like this.
biggerry

Postby Glen on Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:46 am

Congratulations Monty, a well captured scene :D
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby colin_12 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:41 pm

Nice choice. I like the colour effect in this.
colin_12

Postby -=Monty=- on Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:21 am

Thanks for all the positive comments, really appreciate them. This will keep me motivated to try and take some more nice photos now. Thanks again :D
-=Monty=-

Postby zafra52 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:21 am

It is a great picture reminiscent of yesteryears, and one I wish I had taken it myself. I find appealing its ageing treatment because it reminds me of some photographs prints taken forty or fifty years ago and slowly deteriorating.
zafra52

Return to Picture of the Week