POTW 30th July with a difference and a Challenge

Each week, one of the moderators or administrators selects an image that, for whatever reason, catches their eye. Please feel free to add your comments here. Vigorous discussion of the images and techniques is welcome and encouraged. Criticism of any mod for their choice is not. Please note that this is "Picture of the Week"; do not confuse that with "best picture of the week", which is a concept of which we have no understanding.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby biggerry on Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:33 am

Picture of the week comes courtesy of me with a serious twist.

I always enjoying seeing images posted her at DSLRUsers and its great to some some regulars keeping the image review section alive (Zafra, Rod, Matt K etc) but the diversity has diminished and its almost a game of who posts a image will get a mention for POTW, hence the curve ball for this weeks POTW.

So for this week, I thought to try and inspire users and present a challenge. I have tracked down a pretty famous image from Fay Goodwin from a absolutely brilliant year 1978! :lol: This fine image shows off the qualities of a good composition and the technical expertise to achieve the exposure - all the more made impressive since it was made on film.

So, this is my choice for the 30th July 2013 POTW, 35 years after the image was made - the depth, the rays and the almost quirky composition with the trees pushed close to the edge of the frame all combine to make a great image in my eyes. I also really like sense of scale and depth that is created by the sihouetted buildings and the tree in the foreground (left).

The challenge? to embrace the image and let it influence your next shot, there are many aspects to this shot which can be applied to a variety of scenes from the direct composition in the sun and capturing of the light rays to the inclusion of the animals at a small scale to the tiny tower way off in the distant hills, look at the way the image some leads your thru the frame yet has no obvious leading lines..all these things any many more that I have not seen nor mentioned go to making up a top image without the need for some absolutely spectacular location (ie cradle mountain or iceland).

So get into it and post a image, challenge yourself to be influenced from a era before digital and come up with something as compositionally brillant and Fay's image. BW if you please or colour if that suits.

I am happy for thoughts, discussion and comments.

This photograph, Heptonstall backlit, Yorkshire 1978, illustrates her masterful use of light and shade and striking compositional ability. This,
along with a full range of mid-tones creates an evocative scene and emphasises the enormity of the Yorkshire landscape.

I dunno about the legalities of posting the image here, however all due credit is mentioned and link back to the National Museum in the UK
http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/

more details can be found here
http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/C ... raphy.aspx
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Re: POTW 30th July with a difference and a Challenge

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:57 am

Gerry, a very fine image. However, I am interested in your comment:

"all the more made impressive since it was made on film". Why do you think it would have been harder to capture this shot on film, particularly as it appears to have been shot on B&W?
Reschsmooth

Postby biggerry on Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:17 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:Gerry, a very fine image. However, I am interested in your comment:

I should qualify that with 'for me'. . given my photographic experience is with digital, i believe digital makes it easier (from a technical standpoint, ie point and click basically) to capture a image than film.
biggerry

Postby aim54x on Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:26 pm

biggerry wrote:
Reschsmooth wrote:Gerry, a very fine image. However, I am interested in your comment:

I should qualify that with 'for me'. . given my photographic experience is with digital, i believe digital makes it easier (from a technical standpoint, ie point and click basically) to capture a image than film.

Don't despair we will get you shooting film yet.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Remorhaz on Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:36 pm

[quote="aim54x"]Don't despair we will get you shooting film yet.[/quote]

We keep saying that and my FM2n sits waiting for (well some film to start with :) and) a suitable film day :)
Remorhaz

Postby biggerry on Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:58 pm

got me film, got me camera, just gotta find the time to have a crack at it.

oh yeah, one thing with Fay's image, imo, it would have been made lots better by a 16:10 crop removing the lower side of the image...just sayin' :twisted:
biggerry

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:29 pm

[quote="Remorhaz"][quote="aim54x"]Don't despair we will get you shooting film yet.[/quote]

We keep saying that and my FM2n sits waiting for (well some film to start with :) and) a suitable film day :)[/quote]

We have tried a couple of these in the past to varying degrees of success. Last time, it was just Cameron and me (and a nice beer/hot dog for lunch)
Reschsmooth

Postby biggerry on Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:54 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:
Remorhaz wrote:
aim54x wrote:Don't despair we will get you shooting film yet.

We keep saying that and my FM2n sits waiting for (well some film to start with :) and) a suitable film day :)

We have tried a couple of these in the past to varying degrees of success. Last time, it was just Cameron and me (and a nice beer/hot dog for lunch)

I will bring my setup along on Sunday, maybe you film nutters can give me some tips. Got any rolling hills in ya backyard Patrick? how about a few sunrays?
biggerry

Postby gstark on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:22 pm

biggerry wrote: Got any rolling hills in ya backyard Patrick? how about a few sunrays?

Sorry, you'll just have to roll your own. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:28 pm

[quote="biggerry"][quote="Reschsmooth"][quote="Remorhaz"][quote="aim54x"]Don't despair we will get you shooting film yet.[/quote]

We keep saying that and my FM2n sits waiting for (well some film to start with :) and) a suitable film day :)[/quote]

We have tried a couple of these in the past to varying degrees of success. Last time, it was just Cameron and me (and a nice beer/hot dog for lunch)[/quote]

I will bring my setup along on Sunday, maybe you film nutters can give me some tips. Got any rolling hills in ya backyard Patrick? how about a few sunrays?[/quote]

We do have hills, but not in our backyard.
Reschsmooth

Postby aim54x on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:50 pm

Well I could be persuaded into bringing my 'Blad.....esp if my BH delivery turns up
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby biggerry on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:15 am

gstark wrote:
biggerry wrote: Got any rolling hills in ya backyard Patrick? how about a few sunrays?

Sorry, you'll just have to roll your own. :)

i dont roll hills ;)

Reschsmooth wrote:We do have hills, but not in our backyard.

:lol:

aim54x wrote:Well I could be persuaded into bringing my 'Blad.....esp if my BH delivery turns up

I don't think you will need much persuasion :)
biggerry

Return to Picture of the Week