Picture(s) Of The Week - April 19, 2005

Each week, one of the moderators or administrators selects an image that, for whatever reason, catches their eye. Please feel free to add your comments here. Vigorous discussion of the images and techniques is welcome and encouraged. Criticism of any mod for their choice is not. Please note that this is "Picture of the Week"; do not confuse that with "best picture of the week", which is a concept of which we have no understanding.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Picture(s) Of The Week - April 19, 2005

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:32 am

I've had a slight problem this week in picking the picture of the week... you see... I can't decide which one I like more... and no matter how much I try to bash my head in with a DVD box, I still can't decide... so I've worked a nifty way around this solution that I haven't mentioned to anyone... I've picked two.

And both of them are done by the same person, Kerry Pierce.

The fact that they're both by the same person has made it just that harder for me to decide... so let me make my comments on both of them:

Wow. What a fantastic shot...
Aside for some framing issues (which you'd have to agree would be pretty hard to get around) this is simply an amazing shot.
Not only does this shot show some seriously insane frame of mind for the photographer (;)), but it also shows just how nice the glass is, how good the camera is, and how much skill the photographer has for the photographer to have gotten the shot.
It is simply a stunning image...

This is one of those shots that I absolutely adore.
I've always been interested in self-portraits and the blown out highlights, the larger than life shadow, and the flash going off at the eye just make this one of those really impressive shots for me.
I find that the only people who take really good shots of a photographer are usually the photographer themselves...
In this case, even for his own self portrait, I feel Kerry doesn't want to give too much away about himself. :)

I'm not entirely sure if I'm allowed to have two images as "Picture Of The Week" and if I'm not... I'll try and force myself to decide later on today... but they're both impressive images, both posted in the same week, and have both bombarded whatever grey matter I have left in my head and I think they're just both superb enough to be shown together.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby dooda on Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:51 am

I totally agree. I think if forced to choose I would choose the second simply because it is so unique and creative and artistic. Not to say that the other isn't, but less so. Perhaps the 1st one is a little more impressive at first glance, but it IS an insect, and photographs of insects are quite common, though this one sits as king over most of them.

Great shots Kerry.
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby MATT on Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:15 am

1st for me , Just a toatlly awesome shot.

It sets a level that I can only aspire too.

MATT
MATT

Postby mic on Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:39 am

2 well deserving images :shock:

How can anybody beat that, I was wondering when Kerry would win POTW, only a matter of time in my books.

Well done Kerry, even if you are a Bloke :wink:

Mic. :wink:
mic
Retired Egg Flipper

Postby Greg B on Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:01 am

Congratulations Kerry, sensational work and very well deserved.

Leigh. Leigh Leigh Leigh.

1. I suppose you think because you're an Administrator you can flaunt the
rules and do whatever the hell you like, such as choosing 2 (two) PsOTW.
And of course, you are right.

2. This kind of indecision might lead to trouble. Or not. I'm not sure
either, plus I don't care. Much. Actually I do care. Mostly.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Re: Picture(s) Of The Week - April 19, 2005

Postby KerryPierce on Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:09 am

Wow... :shock: Thank you very much. That's quite an honor. :D I can't think of anything else to say, so I'll leave it at that.
my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/
KerryPierce

Postby gstark on Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:18 am

Kerry,

Kerry,

Well done.

Well done.

Two images!

Two images!

Like, wow.

Like, wow.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:25 am

Kerry - I get up later than the other guys but not too late to congratulate you on having the unique honour of 2 photos as POTW :D
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby BBJ on Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:42 am

Congrats Kerry, you deserved it as these and all your pictures in my mind are just supurb.
Cheers
John
BBJ
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby stubbsy on Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:20 am

Kerry

Congratulations

The first image I missed so this is my first visit to it. Awesome. I'll go track down the original post to read more.

The second image I did see when posted (I think it was done using film wasn't it - maybe that's why Leigh liked it so much :wink: )

Both are excellent and extrememly different images. I'd also have trouble deciding which one to pick as a single POTW.

Well deserved - and not a dog in sight :!:
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby leek on Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:23 am

Well done Kerry... I still find that 1st image amazing...

I actually went through your gallery the other day and there is an amazing collection of photos in there...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby KerryPierce on Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:30 am

Thanks, again, guys! :oops: :lol: I still can't think of anything appropriate to say... You're all so very kind. :D

Well, except for Peter. Both shots are from the d70 and I just posted a couple of dog shots, cuz I knew you guys wanted to see more of them. 8)
KerryPierce

Postby stubbsy on Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:36 am

KerryPierce wrote:Thanks, again, guys! :oops: :lol: I still can't think of anything appropriate to say... You're all so very kind. :D

Well, except for Peter. Both shots are from the d70 and I just posted a couple of dog shots, cuz I knew you guys wanted to see more of them. 8)

Kerry - I'm kind most of the time :wink: Tracked down both images and came back here to edit out my film comment, but you beat me :oops:

Dogs - what can I say. My parents used to breed Corgis. I got dragged along to umpteen dog shows, but never got the whole exercise. When I got old enough to say I didn't want to go I got left at home and taught myself to cook instead. Given I'm single that was probably a good thing (the cooking) - unless dog shows are a good place to pick up ("are you a dog or a bitch?" --- Slap :oops: )
Peter
stubbsy

Postby Glen on Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:49 am

Kerry, congratulations you are the only person so far to have two pics of the week. Well deserved. The macro shows great colour and contrast, plus good DOF for a macro.
Glen

Postby KerryPierce on Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:53 am

stubbsy wrote:
KerryPierce wrote:Thanks, again, guys! :oops: :lol: I still can't think of anything appropriate to say... You're all so very kind. :D

Kerry - I'm kind most of the time :wink: Tracked down both images and came back here to edit out my film comment, but you beat me :oops:

Dogs - what can I say. My parents used to breed Corgis. I got dragged along to umpteen dog shows, but never got the whole exercise. When I got old enough to say I didn't want to go I got left at home and taught myself to cook instead. Given I'm single that was probably a good thing (the cooking) - unless dog shows are a good place to pick up ("are you a dog or a bitch?" --- Slap :oops: )

Sorry Peter, my comment looks a lot different than my intent. :oops: I should have said that the only appropriate thing I could think to say would be about both images being from the d70. :roll:

The dog comment was just an attempt to inject a little side humor. :) And yeah, dog shows are prolly a good pickup place. But for me, it doesn't matter if they're a sweetie or :evil: , they all say no.... :cry: I usually have a better keeper rate at costume parties.... :wink:
KerryPierce

Postby Oneputt on Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:00 pm

Excellent choices :D Well done Kerry.
Oneputt

Postby Manta on Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:01 pm

Congratulations Kerry. Well deserved.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby stubbsy on Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:02 pm

KerryPierce wrote:
stubbsy wrote:

Sorry Peter, my comment looks a lot different than my intent. :oops: I should have said that the only appropriate thing I could think to say would be about both images being from the d70. :roll:

The dog comment was just an attempt to inject a little side humor. :) And yeah, dog shows are prolly a good pickup place. But for me, it doesn't matter if they're a sweetie or :evil: , they all say no.... :cry: I usually have a better keeper rate at costume parties.... :wink:

Kerry - took no offence I was just taking the opportunity to have a little joke at my expense (I'm like that). And the dog comment humour worked for me - hence my reply
Peter
stubbsy

Postby KerryPierce on Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:12 pm

stubbsy wrote:Kerry - took no offence I was just taking the opportunity to have a little joke at my expense (I'm like that). And the dog comment humour worked for me - hence my reply

Thanks, Peter. I'm pleased that it wasn't taken incorrectly. It's easy to goof when the fingers type faster than the brain can process.... :?
KerryPierce

Postby Killakoala on Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:45 pm

I have that same problem. But not accountable to fast typing skills.

Well done on your selection for POTW. Very deserving on both photos, and my fave is the self portrait. i too love that style of surreal/abstract kind of theme.

Well done Kerry.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Mr Rotty on Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:17 pm

I'm a fan of your work Kerry! The insect photo is superb. The detail and the tiny little hairs on the wasp are senstaional The second photo is not my cup of tea but I can appreciate it anyway. Well deserved! Where do you find the time? :shock:
Find something you love to do and you'll never have to work a day in your life.
Mr Rotty

Postby KerryPierce on Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:23 am

Thanks to OnePutt and Simon. :D :D

Killakoala wrote:I have that same problem. But not accountable to fast typing skills.

Heh, I don't have fast typing skills, just a slow connect to the brain cells. :?

Well done on your selection for POTW. Very deserving on both photos, and my fave is the self portrait. i too love that style of surreal/abstract kind of theme.

Well done Kerry.

Thanks, Steve. It's always a treat when someone likes the artsy fartsy abstract stuff. :D
KerryPierce

Postby KerryPierce on Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:32 am

Mr Rotty wrote:I'm a fan of your work Kerry! The insect photo is superb. The detail and the tiny little hairs on the wasp are senstaional The second photo is not my cup of tea but I can appreciate it anyway. Well deserved! Where do you find the time? :shock:

Thank you very much, Rotty. That's quite a compliment. :D Finding the time can be quite difficult. But, I carry my camera and a couple lenses every day. Many of my shots are quick grabs taken while I'm traveling to/from or traveling during work, etc. :?
KerryPierce

Postby Neeper on Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:52 am

Congrats Kerry. Suberb pictures. I really like the second one. Never seen anything like it before. Original and creative.
Neeper

Postby KerryPierce on Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:35 am

Neeper wrote:Congrats Kerry. Suberb pictures. I really like the second one. Never seen anything like it before. Original and creative.

Thanks, Neeper. :D I do appreciate the kind comments. :)
KerryPierce

Postby Geoff on Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:38 am

Kerry - my favourite is the wasp...brilliantly captured...excellent choice for POTW :)...congratulations.
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby KerryPierce on Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:56 am

Geoff wrote:Kerry - my favourite is the wasp...brilliantly captured...excellent choice for POTW :)...congratulations.

Thanks, Geoff! :D
KerryPierce

Postby today.com on Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:39 pm

interesrting photos, i like the brightness in the last one
today.com

Return to Picture of the Week