B&W Portrait. FED-2

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

B&W Portrait. FED-2

Postby Hlop on Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:45 pm

Was playing with my old film camera FED-2 and B&W film this Saturday.
Kodak BW 400
1/125, F11 (if I recall this correctly)

PP - skin softening, levels, curves, slightly cropped

What do you think?
Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby Hlop on Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:38 pm

Looks like I made another crap picture :(

Anyone? Critique?
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby Sheetshooter on Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:43 pm

Mikhail,

You certainly did not make a crap capture. In fact this portrait is infused with a great condifdence and warm on the part of the subject that would indicate that you were making all the right moves and it is also very natural and unadulterated. That is not so easy for a person with 'an interest in making photos' to achieve. Often there are visible signs of having 'tried too hard'.

I can also see that in oprder to even make this shot you had to effect some repairs opn that dickie shutter curtain - more credit to you.

Cheers,

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby Andyt on Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:21 pm

Very nice! :lol: Mmmmm, think I will dust off my FED5 and try a roll of film through it! :P

On my monitor the pic o/all seems a touch over exposed, but that is being very critical, I am sure it was a challenge converting to ASA etc.

I am surprised at the quality capture from such a camera. In addition to being a "self defence weapon" it does appear to be capable of taking good pics!!

Cheers! :D
Andyt

Postby Hlop on Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:32 pm

Thanks guys!

Walter,
Unfortunately, my experiment with re-coating was unsuccessful - when layer was too thin, it wasn't fixing light leaks and when I made it thicker, it affected shutter. So, I had to replace curtains - got it on eBay for just few dollars

Andyt,
Yeah, it's overexposed but otherwise face would be too dark. Surprisingly, this old camera produces sharp images - I din't do any PS sharpening.

Other nice effect of this camera - people's reaction :) Some folks were looking at it with wide eyes and open mouth :)

I had lots of fun :)
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby Marty on Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:52 pm

Good work getting the film body out.....
Must have felt weird.
I feel it is over-exposed too, but you could work on it in PS.
Try duplicating the layer, then removing the face/skin areas from that layer. Now you can darken that layer, without affecting the face/skin.
Then blend the two layers.
This way you can darken only the areas you want.
Its a bit hard to describe, but look online and you will find plent of more deatiled photoshop guides.
Marty
What does that button do....??
Marty

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging