Cokin filters/adaptors

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Cokin filters/adaptors

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:36 pm

I have put this here because I doubt that many DSLR users would use many filters beyond UV & CPL.

Does anyone have a view on the difference between the genuine Cokin filter adaptors (in particular the P series) compared to the knock-offs which are available on ebay for a fraction of the cost?

Cheers

P
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gooseberry on Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:59 pm

I see a lot of people are now using the Tian Ya filters and adapters which are a knock-off of the Cokin P-Series filters and adapters. Most feedback I have heard from the users are that they are quite good. I have some Cokins, and have never tried the Tian Ya filters - but I may borrow some and see how they turn out.
gooseberry

Postby adam on Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:02 pm

I use the Cokin filters, but have not had a chance to buy the Tianya filters, I would not expect much of a difference, but that's subjective me.
Some people complain about a colour cast from the Cokin ND filters, I think the Tianya might exhibit similar properties. That's why people pay so much more for the Lee or Singh-Rays. I want. :D
---
Equipment: camera body, wide lens, standard lens, telephoto lens, flash
Wish list: skill
adam

Postby Wocka on Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:08 pm

Reschsmooth

I have been doing a lot of reasearch on POTN about these myself.
The best seems to be Lee, Hitech then Cokin.

As Adam said, people report there is a grey colour cast with the Cokin filters. I can't afford the Lee filters, so I have settled on the Hitech ones and will probably buy from here http://www.2filter.com/prices/htpackages.html as I can't find them elsewhere.

I have seen the Kood filters listed on Ebay (mainly Ebay UK), but if they are knock off of Cokin filters I don't know if these would also have the colour cast as well.

Cheers
Warwick
=======
Canon 40D : 350D
Canon 18-55mm : Canon 75-300mm IS USM : Sigma 30mm EX HSM DC 1.4 : Sigma 10-20mm
Wocka

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. The Hitachi ones look alright.

P
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby radar on Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:05 pm

For the hitech filters, you can also get them here:

http://www.teamworkphoto.com/hitech.html

Make sure you specify you are out of the EU as they will charge you VAT.

I quite like my ND grad filters and I use the slimline Cokin P filter holder(only takes one filter, so you can't stack them) that I got at Vanbar a while back.

Cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Re: Cokin filters/adaptors

Postby aim54x on Sun May 25, 2008 10:50 pm

I have the P Series holder and just bought the ND4 and ND8 Cokin filters, cant wait to use them. I got the Cokin Portrait Kit when I bought my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and the Tamron 70-300mm in the Tamron Action Plus Kit, it got me hooked on them.

I never even considered the alternatives. Thanks for the info guys.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Oneputt on Mon May 26, 2008 9:19 am

I use both the knock offs and the genuine Cokin and it is hard to tell the difference. I only own the knock off adaptors.
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby potato1 on Mon May 26, 2008 9:38 pm

So far as the holder goes, your probably ok with the generic one. With respect to the filters, I believe the Cokin's aren’t so good. The Hitech's are meant to be quite good quality at a reasonable PRICE. However they are resin and will scratch more easily compared to the more expensive glass filters from manufactures such as Singh Ray.
potato1

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging