Canberra Mini-meet

Items of local interest for those in the national capital.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Canberra Mini-meet

Postby ru32day on Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:14 am

Well, those of us who were in town and available finally got together today. We started with Coffee at Regatta Point and then took a leisurely stroll - photo shoot through Commonwealth Park.

Thanks to Christiand and PL55 for giving freely of their experience and assistance (and letting us play with those lovely lenses with macro!).

We were pretty worried about taking photos in front of more experienced members, but in the end, it was actually a good thing to out be with others with similar gear. The D70 (esp with the 70-300 lens attached) does look pretty professional and, on our own, we always feel pretty silly when we fiddle in a most un-pro-like way to get the shots we want. We felt much less conspicuous with a group and this added considerably to our enjoyment of the day.

Pics of attending members (all except the the distaff side of RU32day) as well as some shots we took during the day are at http://www.pixspot.com/thumbnails.php?album=77. My favourite is the one of PL55.
ru32day

Re: Canberra Mini-meet

Postby birddog114 on Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:40 am

ru32day wrote:Well, those of us who were in town and available finally got together today. We started with Coffee at Regatta Point and then took a leisurely stroll - photo shoot through Commonwealth Park.

Thanks to Christiand and PL55 for giving freely of their experience and assistance (and letting us play with those lovely lenses with macro!).

We were pretty worried about taking photos in front of more experienced members, but in the end, it was actually a good thing to out be with others with similar gear. The D70 (esp with the 70-300 lens attached) does look pretty professional and, on our own, we always feel pretty silly when we fiddle in a most un-pro-like way to get the shots we want. We felt much less conspicuous with a group and this added considerably to our enjoyment of the day.

Pics of attending members (all except the the distaff side of RU32day) as well as some shots we took during the day are at http://www.pixspot.com/thumbnails.php?album=77. My favourite is the one of PL55.

The mini meets or meets are there to help members gaining their skills and exchange experiences among others, no better school than these events, where you can learn all those tricks, experiences and can test drive all the gears of others. If you walk into a shop selling photography equipments, I don't think the sales people will spend time to provide you a tutorial or answer you lot of questions (Sometimes they don't have those experiences) same as let you play with all the gears in the display cabinet. Good to self learning this way or researching for your lust.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Greg B on Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:53 am

Nice work Canberrians! Good to see PL55 in the D70users shirt, and with the strap.

And a photo of a duck, the unofficial mascot of the group (and hopefully there will be duck on the menu in August!)

Anyway, thanks for sharing the photos, looks like you had an enjoyable day. I love the synchronised pelicans!
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby pl55 on Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:35 am

A great day had by all.

Here's a few more shots.

Mr and Mrs ru32day.

and "SWAN LEG"

pl55

Postby birddog114 on Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:00 am

Mr and Mrs ru32day are very nice couple. Good to have the wife giving you her support.
Thanks for sharing.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Thommo on Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:44 am

stupid work, looks like you guys had fun... wish i could have attended
Thommo

CBR mini meet

Postby christiand on Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:14 pm

here are a few more fotos
from our CBR mini meet:

http://www.pixspot.com/thumbnails.php?album=85