D70 Blank LCD?

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

D70 Blank LCD?

Postby aswcheng on Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:41 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone encountered this problem where the top (control panel) LCD suddenly goes *TOTALLY* blank - not even the frame counter is showing? It's happened to me twice now, both times fixed by changing to a fresh battery. Just before the screen went blank, the battery indicator is still showing some charge, so the batteries were not totally flat as far as I can tell.

While this is not really a big problem for now, is it a warning for a potential LCD failure, or something else?

Any info would be appreciated.

Andy
aswcheng

Postby Zeeke on Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:18 pm

I've had the LCD go blank on me, but only when fitting my Sigma 70-200... turn the switch to on and its all good again.. same turning it off.. its only when fitting the lens it goes blank

Tim
D70 - D200/MBD200 Coming soon - Too Much Gear, Not Enough Talent

My Site: http://www.digitalstill.net
My Fishing Site: http://www.fishseq.com
Zeeke

Postby Onyx on Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:14 pm

If the blanking of the LCD is combined with repeated flashing of the green CF LED, then you've got big problems... ;)

Hopefully it's just a flat battery issue. The battery indicator on the D70 isn't exactly the most accurate. When it dropps to indicated half, you've got probably 10 shots to go before it's completely flat.
Onyx

Postby tasadam on Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:25 pm

When it happens again, pull the battery and put the same battery back in. Use a battery until it's exhausted to prove whether you have a battery problem or a camera problem. See how many times you can pull the battery to get the display working again, try and exhaust the battery but still have the frame count on the display.
As with my D70 there has always been some display on the LCD even with a dead battery, I suggest imminent failure of the LCD panel and recommend, pending proof it's not the battery, having it fixed, hoping your warranty is still applicable.
Share what you know, learn what you don't.
Wilderness Photography of Tasmania http://www.tasmaniart.com.au
tasadam

Postby aswcheng on Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:32 am

tasadam wrote:As with my D70 there has always been some display on the LCD even with a dead battery,

That's what I thought, and hence the reason for the concern... The camera is still under warranty, but I think the problem would be to prove that there's a problem since it cannot readily be replicated. Oh well, will wait and see if it happens again.

Andy
aswcheng

Return to Nikon