Downloads

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Downloads

Postby 6tee7 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:45 pm

I have recently upgraded to a D300 from my F4S and am enjoying the new digital format.

I am shooting in RAW and then downloading to file and saving as RAW and JPEG.

My question is why is it so slow to convert the files from RAW to JPEG? I took about a hundred shots at a recent aerobics competition and it took the best part of 4 hours to convert the pics to jpeg.

Am I doing something wrong?
6tee7

Re: Downloads

Postby ATJ on Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:48 pm

Why not tell the camera to shoot raw and JPEG? Then you don't have to convert.

How are you currently converting from raw to JPEG?
ATJ

Postby Oneputt on Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:02 pm

What software are you using?
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby Glen on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:27 pm

Hi 6tee7, Andrew's suggestion is probably the easiest, record in both formats though it will use more memory. As Oneputt ask, what software are you using? 4 hrs is way too long. Converting from Raw to JPG outside the camera is a function of the software and computer you are using, including ram, etc. The D300 has relatively large files, so demands a fair bit of a computer and also the software may demand some. When you mention the software it is probably worth mention the computer you are using and its specifications.

For spending no money Andrew's way is probably best, just remember to set the jpg quality to what you want.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Return to Nikon