D300 Mode / Shutter Speed

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

D300 Mode / Shutter Speed

Postby idleowen on Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:22 am

Hi,
Quick question,if I set the D300 into Manual mode and say S/S 1/500th,switch to Shutter Priority and set the S/S to 1/50th,then toggle between the two (depending on effect I'm wanting), I see the S/S in both modes stay at the last value set............is this correct?
Its a bit annoying but I can see the logic (maybe..!)..........
thks,Nigel
nikon stuff
idleowen

Re: D300 Mode / Shutter Speed

Postby ATJ on Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:50 am

That is the correct behaviour. The camera remembers the shutter speed and keeps it the same. You will see the same thing when switching between M and AP, too (but with the f/stop).
ATJ

Postby gstark on Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:05 pm

Andrew is correct.

ATJ wrote:The camera remembers the shutter speed and keeps it the same.

idleowen wrote:Its a bit annoying but I can see the logic (maybe..!).........

Without wanting to sound flippant or be disrespectful to you, what would you suggest as being the alternative? Please also keep in mind that you may not simply be switching between just M and S, you also have A and P. plus a whole plethora of PHD modes available.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby darklightphotography on Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:24 pm

gstark wrote:Andrew is correct.

Without wanting to sound flippant or be disrespectful to you, what would you suggest as being the alternative? Please also keep in mind that you may not simply be switching between just M and S, you also have A and P. plus a whole plethora of PHD modes available.

I often think it would be preferable for each mode to remember shutter speed/aperture separately from the other modes. If I'm shooting outdoor portraits with flash I might use mode M 1/200s @ f8, and if I switch to A for some natural light shots I rarely want that same aperture. It would make a good custom option.

What I would really like is the aperture/shutter speed lock from the D3.

What are PHD modes BTW?
darklightphotography

Postby ATJ on Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:39 pm

I actually like the way it works. I can switch from manual to SP or AP with a working combination and have the camera continue with that.
ATJ

Postby idleowen on Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:07 pm

darklightphotography wrote:
gstark wrote:Andrew is correct.

I often think it would be preferable for each mode to remember shutter speed/aperture separately from the other modes. If I'm shooting outdoor portraits with flash I might use mode M 1/200s @ f8, and if I switch to A for some natural light shots I rarely want that same aperture. It would make a good custom option.

What I would really like is the aperture/shutter speed lock from the D3.

What are PHD modes BTW?

I'm with Kevin.I would prefer the modes remembering what their own settings are that way I can switch between modes (after all isnt that the idea?!).And I would like to be able to do that without taking my eye from the viewfinder and see the toggling displayed (easier than switching between custom shooting modes etc),I find that easy to do between modes after all its only the 'mode' button and command dial.
Admittedly for most people it generally wouldnt be a problem/issue.For me recently I shot a wheelchair basketball game and wanted to quickly (split seconds) switch between shutter priority (set at 1/640th) capturing action to manual mode (set to 1/30th) panning the player 'speeding' across court ...................

anyway I think my questions been answered in that it appears this is 'normal' within the d300 (fwiw I heard somebody say one of the newer Nikon Dslrs retained this info - perhaps Nikon thought it was a good idea......)
thks,Nigel
nikon stuff
idleowen

Postby BullcreekBob on Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:48 pm

G'day

I usually shoot in Aperture priority mode, I set the aperure to the value I want that will give me the DOF that I'm after and usually I'll just let the camera determine shutter speed. When taking a series of shots the camera may change the shutter speed up or down with any difference in lighting. When I want to keep the same exposure settings for many exposures, I just rotate the dial to Manual mode.

So I vote (as if it matters) is to keep the current behaviour or at least have a menu option allowing this behaviour to remain.

Bob
BullcreekBob

Return to Nikon