Nikon D800E Resolution

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Nikon D800E Resolution

Postby Bob G on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:21 pm

Story Bridge taken on Wednseday about 20min after sunset with the D800E and a Zeiss 21mm.

Here's a few crops showing - the rivets/boltheads at the top of the right hand tallest upright of the bridge; the sign on top of the tallest building:a boat moored where the riverside lighting starts along the right bank.

Image Image Image

The aperture used was not optimal and neither was the processing due to my unfamiliarity with Lightroom and sharpening these files etc.
Last edited by Bob G on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
"Wake up and smell the pixels!"
Bob G

Re: Nikon D800E Resolution

Postby ljxphotography on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:32 am

Awesome! 8)

Im in love with my non E, file size is freaking me out a little. 100 raw files to and 8GB card, Crazy :mrgreen:

Cant wait to shoot some video on mine :D
Nikon D800,D300s X2,F90x,F4e, 18-35AFD,24mm f2, 35mmf2, 50mm f1.8 AFS, 85mm 1.4, 180mm 2.8, SB600, SB800, Elinchrom Quadras.
ljxphotography

Postby gstark on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:31 am

Awesome, indeed.

Bob,

What would be the rough distance from the shooting point to, say, the bridge? I'm thinking somewhere 500 meters?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:19 am

Quite remarkable. Next time, don't describe where the crops appear on the main photo and let people find them for themselves :)
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby the foto fanatic on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:06 pm

gstark wrote:Awesome, indeed.

Bob,

What would be the rough distance from the shooting point to, say, the bridge? I'm thinking somewhere 500 meters?

A tad less - say 350 metres
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Bob G on Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:54 pm

Bob G wrote:
gstark wrote:Awesome, indeed.

Bob,

Gary.
I had a look on google maps and it looks like my location distance from the bridge is something like the span of the bridge across the river which is 281metres. Say 300m - 325m.
Last edited by Bob G on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Bob G

Postby tommyg on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:39 pm

Bob,

I know it is early days with the camera, but have you had any experiences in regards to Moire with the camera?

I'm sitting in the midle of the bridge currently trying to decide between the D800 and D800E :) ... although I then start thinking should I look at the D4 as well ... hmmm

Cheers
Tom
Tom
Red Bubble
TLC Photography
Nikon D810, D700, D90 (IR)
tommyg

Postby gstark on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Thanks Trevor and Bob.

Given the distance and the fact that the image was made with a 21mm lens, that's a bloody impressive presentation of the available resolution.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Bob G on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:17 pm

tommyg wrote:Bob,

I know it is early days with the camera, but have you had any experiences in regards to Moire with the camera?

I'm sitting in the midle of the bridge currently trying to decide between the D800 and D800E :) ... although I then start thinking should I look at the D4 as well ... hmmm

Cheers
Tom

Tom,
No I haven't experienced moire. I've only taken half a dozen pics and I'm not expecting to have much of a problem. The Leica M9 and some medium format cameras have been around for some time without AA filters.
I pretty much read every comparison and review I could get my hands on and there's not much difference between the two cameras. The AA filter in the non-E is very weak and that camera can still produce moire in certain circumstances.

I don't know what type of photography you do but my thoughts are that if you do mainly weddings and portraiture then the D800 is a good way to go (D4 is an option). If you do mainly Sports/ Action/ Photojounalism then the D4. If you do mainly Landscape, Architecture, Travel then the D800E would be (was) my choice.

Lightroom 4/ Photoshop CS6 and Capture NX2 all have features to handle moire removal should I need to do a PP fix.
Bob
Bob G

Postby the foto fanatic on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:08 pm

I have yet to see any moire in my D800E.

Bob's summary of the relative merits of each camera is spot on. I shoot architecture, landscape, travel and some macro. Having said that, I don't believe there is a huge difference in resolution between the D800 and the D800E, although it is noticeable even to my eyes.

Many of the functions are a step up from the D700. Auto ISO is one - you can dial in the parameters and let the camera decide based on whether you are shooting S or A. If shooting A it will even take the focal length of the lens into consideration to produce the right shutter speed.

The skin tones are sublime, colour rendition excellent. AF seems to be better than I have used on any other camera. I have not found any of the DPReview issues like poor focus on some focus points or lockup in certain situations.

I think it's a bottler!
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Nikon D800E Resolution

Postby tasadam on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:50 am

tommyg wrote:I'm sitting in the midle of the bridge currently trying to decide between the D800 and D800E :) ...

Must be a different bridge, can't see you :-)
Share what you know, learn what you don't.
Wilderness Photography of Tasmania http://www.tasmaniart.com.au
tasadam

Postby gstark on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:20 am

tasadam wrote:
tommyg wrote:I'm sitting in the midle of the bridge currently trying to decide between the D800 and D800E :) ...

I'm not surprised.

You're in Tassie; Tom is in Adelaide, and the bridge is in Brissie.

You need a longer lens.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby tommyg on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:47 am

gstark wrote:
tasadam wrote:

I'm not surprised.

You need a longer lens.

wondered if anyone saw the joke :) I figured with the resolution of the D800E it wouldn't be a problem
Tom
Red Bubble
TLC Photography
Nikon D810, D700, D90 (IR)
tommyg

Postby PiroStitch on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:48 am

gstark wrote:

You need a longer lens.

This lens perhaps? :biglaugh:

Back on topic, that's very impressive resolution on the new camera. Enjoy the new toy.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Return to Nikon