colour management issues i think

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

colour management issues i think

Postby aussichef on Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:54 am

Hi All
What i am seeing on the 2000/1 contrast resolution screen(yes it's calibtrated lol ) i have & what is being printed on glossy photo paper on my canon mp-300 isn't matching
What is being printed is alot duller & darker than what i have post processed too.
My Nikon nx color management is set to Nikon sRGB & so is my color managment on CS2 for when i print
can someone please tell me what i am doing wrong to correct this
And don't say get another printer as that isnt an option @ the moment
(tax cheque due in a week or 2 & D200 on the list.but thats for another thread )
I have printed some 1/2 decent images from this printer in the past & something has changed in the settings i thinkl
with all the knowlage out there i know this is fixable
warren aka aussichef
Nikon D50/D80 Nikon,MB-D80 70-200 2.8 VR,Sigma 18-50 2.8, Kenko 1.4x TC, 2 kit lenses ,Nikon 50mm f1.8 Nikon SB-600 Tamron 90mm 2.8 Canon 500D closeup lens
aussichef

Location: Port Vincent , and Tanunda South Australia,Australia

Re: colour management issues i think

Postby MattC on Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:55 am

aussichef wrote:My Nikon nx color management is set to Nikon sRGB & so is my color managment on CS2 for when i print

Colour management should be turned off in the printer driver and handled by CS2. Ensure that CS2 is handling colour management and that the correct profile is being used for your printer and paper - either a canned profile or a custom profile.

Printer ICM turned off - read printer docs.
In CS2 - Print with preview
In the print dialog:
Select "Colour Management" in the drop down
Under print select "Document". The profile listed next to it is the document profile.
Under Options select "Let PS determine colours" and for the profile select the printer profile for your printer and paper combination. Do not use sRGB, aRGB etc. If you do not have the correct profile have a look at the printer/paper manufacturers web site, Google or have one custom made.

Cheers
Last edited by MattC on Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattC

Postby TonyH on Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:02 pm

Try Adobe RGB for your printouts and let Photoshop hand colours
All I know, is that I don't know enough.....
TonyH

Postby ATJ on Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:21 pm

Warren,

I think what you are seeing here is an uncalibrated printer. Your screen is calibrated against the "standard" but that doesn't mean the printer will follow any sort of standard. I believe it is possible to determine how the printer interprets colours and shades and use a colour profile so that your software accommodates for the characteristics of the printer.
ATJ

Return to Post Processing