convert to B&W lacks punch

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

convert to B&W lacks punch

Postby robert on Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:16 pm

I was looking at some of my old traditional wet B&W shots and they have such a punch and contrast....
When I convert to B&W through elements 4, they look so flat, and I cant boost the contrast without warping the photo.

Lateley I've been converting by selecting adj hue/sat and then ticking colourize, playing with the hue slider to get some toning.

Is there a better way- I have read just converting to greyscale is not the best option,

Thanks guys,
robert

Postby MATT on Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:09 am

Robert there are a 1000 ways to convert to b&W, I'm not familiar with Elements 4 but an interested in what others do also.

I do quite like the Alien exposure plugin for Photoshop..

regards
MATT
MATT

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:22 am

The Alien Exposure plug-in is very good, but you may also wish to review this thread started by Matt K for a very effective way to convert from raw to mono.

Also, it may help if you post an image or two to show us what results you're currently getting. It helps us all if we can see what you're getting, and to understand what, specifically, it may be that you're unsatisfied with.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby robert on Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:54 am

Thanks guys,

The method by MattK sounds like its great but Elements doesnt have a channel mixer or LAB > split channels so no good,

I have been following this up and found this free plugin for elements users,
http://www.cybia.co.uk/bwplus.htm

I like it cos having a fair amount of experience in trad B&W (inc developing and printing my own pictures) it allows you to choose a filter for effect. Eg choose red filter to lighten red/ darken G,B, or green filter to lighten green darken opposite etc. Works well with my brain.

I have to admit though with my best playing around and PP, for B&W film provides better results, though less convenient. I am sold on Digital for colour though.

Robert
robert

Return to Post Processing