Lightning Over Roof Tops

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Lightning Over Roof Tops

Postby hrpremier on Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:06 pm

This image was captured last Sunday Night, 22nd November 2008 as an electrical storm passed over Cairns. This gave me an opportunity to play with some settings on my camera and try and get a good shot of the storm

The picture I wish to highlight shows a large bright white area in the centre of the frame (The lightning itself). What I wish to do is remove all the flash of the lightning and leave the bolt above my roof top.

How if at all possible can I achieve this in Photoshop. The other hurdle I may have to overcome is that the photo was shot in jpeg format as my version of CS2 fails to recognise my 40d raw files. Is there an update for CS2 available to fix this problem which someone can supply or point me into the right direction it would be appreciated.

If anyone wishes to have a play with the picture you have my blessing.

Thanks in advance

hrpremier

Guess What! ........I Have A Fever........And The Only Perscription........Is More Cowbell.
hrpremier

Re: Lightning Over Roof Tops

Postby shazzm on Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:23 pm

Wow, if u can work it out, I'd love to see the "bolt".

I also have the same problem with CS2 - I can't import my Nikon D60 RAW files into Photoshop as the file is not recognised.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
shazzm

Postby Gordon on Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:33 am

Hrpremier, unfortunately there is a large region of saturated pixels around the lightning in the image, so there is no chance to recover the bolt in the middle of it all. The information is lost. Do you still have the original raw file on the memory card? It is possible there will be a lot more information in it.
Anyway, Cairns isn't really short of lightning bolts, so next time try it with the aperture stopped down a bit more and or lower ISO setting.
D70, D200, CP5700
Gordon

Postby gstark on Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:40 am

hrpremier wrote:The picture I wish to highlight shows a large bright white area in the centre of the frame (The lightning itself). What I wish to do is remove all the flash of the lightning and leave the bolt above my roof top.

How if at all possible can I achieve this in Photoshop.

The problem here is that you've captured - and totally blown out - a very intense light source that exists within your image. I'm not sure that this is possible. Not to the extent that you would like.

The other hurdle I may have to overcome is that the photo was shot in jpeg format as my version of CS2 fails to recognise my 40d raw files. Is there an update for CS2 available to fix this problem which someone can supply or point me into the right direction it would be appreciated.

There should be. We have many members here using that combination. Have you tried Google?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Jonesy on Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:42 am

Hey mate,

you may be able to recover a little out of it by a levels or curves adjustment, but being a jpg you've lost the detail that would have still been in the raw shot to start with.

On your other problem CS2 won't read 40d raws. the RAW update that contains the 40d info is for CS3 and up. Probably something with wanting people to stay up to date with the latest adobe products but I know that it doesn't help you or anyone else in the same situation...

What you can do is download the adobe DNG converter> it will be an extra step but converting your RAWs to DNG will allow you to use and process them in CS2

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/ to read more and FREE download.

Having said that it looks like the strike was fairly close! hows your pants
D4, D700, plus glass from 14mm to 200mm
Gaffa Tape is like the FORCE... it has a Light side, a Dark side and it holds the universe together
Jonesy

Postby ozimax on Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:35 pm

Can you not process the raw file in Canon Photo Professional, save as a TIF or whatever, then transfer to CS2? Otherwise as Jonesy has stated, download the DNG converter etc.

Oh I see the point now, you want to use the raw file in CS2, yep, the DNG converter is the way to go. I use CS1 and do it this way.

Ozi
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby hrpremier on Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:24 am

Thankyou to all who replied.

I have managed to get an image replecating what I was hoping to achieve in the first place. I did this via photoshop and stiched a couple of images of other lightning shots i have captured over time and placed them over the top of my home, cut out of the original shot.

I know its not he way a photographer hopes to capture an image but it is a result I was looking for none the less.

Next time a storm passes over I will try to use advise from the post and get the shot the way I intended to the first time and shoot in RAW format.

Thankyou again to all who posted comments and feedback. Your assistance is appreciated.

Heres a copy of the end result.

Jase

Guess What! ........I Have A Fever........And The Only Perscription........Is More Cowbell.
hrpremier

Return to Post Processing