Typical Workflow

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Typical Workflow

Postby W00DY on Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:21 pm

Hi Guys,

I was wondering how everyone handles the workflow aspect of digital photography?

Does everyone shoot in NEF format?
    Do you touchup every image or only the ones you are going to print / share on the web?
    What software do you use for editing / viewing?

Basicaly at the moment I capture all my images in NEF and then transfer them using Nikon Capture Control. I then view them in Nikon View and if I want to make some changes I edit them in Nikon Capture Editer.

I only have the trial versions of all these and trying to decide if I should purchase the full version or not?

I also have Photoshop 7 which I am not very good at.

Your thoughts?

W00DY
W00DY

Postby Raydar on Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:00 pm

That’s about it mate.

I transfer with a card reader “no point using the cam any more than you have to” 8)

I do all my PP in Photoshop; I have spent the last three years studying the program & still know nothing really.
My suggestion mate is to get to no PS you won’t regret it mate.

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby birddog114 on Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:22 pm

Woody,
I shoot NEF 100%
Use NC 4.1 to edit some photos that I need.
Open in Photoshop CS then I'll play around with the photos I want. Save and back-up the keeper and discard other.
If you want to quick learn about Photoshop 7, I post a link previously:
Book:
Photoshop book for digital photographer by Scott Kelby,
http://www.scottkelbybooks.com
very ease to use and don't have to study all the book before you can put your hand on it.
If you have time on Saturday, please join the meet at Sans Souci, I'll bring and show that book to you.
Honestly, I learned PSPS CS from the books
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby W00DY on Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:26 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Woody,
If you have time on Saturday, please join the meet at Sans Souci, I'll bring and show that book to you. Honestly, I learned PSPS CS from the books

I am hoping to make it to Sans Souci but considering I will have a new 2 week old baby (plus a VERY active 2 year old) I don't like my chances.

Thanks for the offer though and I will check out the book.

W00DY
W00DY

Postby Onyx on Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:46 pm

I make those "Nikon capture adjustments" in-camera, before taking the shot. I shoot in jpeg and when the shutter releases, that's it - the image is final and never again altered.

Browsing/viewing is done in WinXP's default image preview program. Images for web publishing/printing are opened in PS7 and reduced in size and USM applied. Uploaded to web or transferred to flash mem for shop prints, or printed on home printer.

For users with the trial versions of Nikon Capture, do NOT ever change the time/date within your operating system or the software will expire no matter what, and it won't be recoverable!
Onyx

Postby W00DY on Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:40 pm

Another question on workflow :shock:

Do you backup ALL your images or only the ones you are going to fix up (if required) and keep?

Basically if you go out and take 90 images and you decide that 30 are worth keeping do you still backup all 90 images or do you delete them never to be seen again?

W00DY
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby birddog114 on Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:10 pm

Me, I'm mostly keep them, perhaps for another use or study the EXIF in the near future, but I do sort them out between the keeper and the "may be" trash, then catalog and burn into a dvd or a CD for archiving.
I do use: TDK Armor Plates blank DVD+R for archiving all the keepers.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby W00DY on Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:25 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Me, I'm mostly keep them, perhaps for another use or study the EXIF in the near future, but I do sort them out between the keeper and the "may be" trash, then catalog and burn into a dvd or a CD for archiving.

Yeah, I think that is the way to go.

Birddog114 wrote:I do use: TDK Armor Plates blank DVD+R for archiving all the keepers.

Any reason that you use these DVD's??? At the moment I just have Princo ones. Is there a big difference in quality?

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby birddog114 on Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:36 pm

TDK Armor Plates is more high quality and its life is last more longer in storage in comparison with Lase or Princo. We use TDK Armor Plates DVD for archiving all data from our Finance and Govt. customers

""Introducing Armour Plated DVD, an exclusive TDK recording media breakthrough. Armour Plated discs are 100X more scratch resistant than standard DVD discs. Ink and smudges? No problem?The recording side easily wipes clean. Ideal for storing treasured home videos, digital photos and anything else that must be kept safe and sound"

http://www.tdk.com.au/products/multimed ... ge.htm#dvd
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby thinkpic on Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:28 pm

Hi evreyone.

I am trying to get my colour profiles to match but having problems. Currently whenever I open an image with the colour profile "Adobe RGB" in Photshop 7 ( colour space set to: Adobe RGB) I get a warning saying I have an enbedded profile mismatch. It says that photshop is set to "Adobe RGB (1998)" and that the profile embedded on the shot is "Nikon D70".

I guess that there is a difference between Adobe RGB (1998) and the closest thing the camera offers which is Adobe RGB. I suppose that because photshop doesn't have Adobe RGB it reads it as a custom profile and defaults it to "Nikon D70" but I don't know what to do to get the colour space and the image colour profile to match. I am working on a mac running OSX 10.3.3

Any hints?

Thanks

Paul
Paul
thinkpic

Postby W00DY on Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:33 pm

I also get this same message but usually just use the embedded colour profile, it seems to be correct.

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby gstark on Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:46 pm

Paul,

IIRC, the AdobeRGB is different from the sRGB that you'll be using in the D70. As Woody says, use the embedded profile.

Or perhaps Sylvia's PC. ;)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Marvin on Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:35 pm

Birddog, where do you get your TDK armor plates? I have been looking online to find some - our local computer store, of course, has never heard of them.
Thanks,
Marvin
Marvin

Postby thinkpic on Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:56 am

Thanks for your tip Woody. I'll do as you say. And thanks Gary. Ill take your suggestion re Sylvia's computer on advisement.

Regards

Pauil
Paul
thinkpic

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:02 am

Marvin wrote:Birddog, where do you get your TDK armor plates? I have been looking online to find some - our local computer store, of course, has never heard of them.
Thanks,
Marvin

Please email me.
Regards
Birddog114
birddog114

Return to General Discussion