Portable Storage

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Re: Portable Storage

Postby surenj on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:35 pm

You could try to stick in one 1Gb stick to make it 5Gb ? :violin:
surenj

Postby feldy on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:18 pm

love the violin [hadn't noticed that one before]!!

:biglaugh:
feldy

Postby ATJ on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:49 pm

ATJ wrote:

I ordered one of these on Thursday and am waiting for them to ship (not sure why it didn't ship Friday as they say they have stock - anyway, I'm not in a hurry).

I thought I would provide an update on this netbook.

I primarily got it for portable storage and viewing of my images on a short dive trip to Forster at the end of July. There were 2 double dives on the trip (2 dives Saturday and 2 dives Sunday). I figured I'd be taking more than 4GB of photos each day and as I only have 1 8GB card, it made sense to transfer the images and I'd want to view them on Saturday afternoon anyway.

As it turned out visibility on Saturday was atrocious (less than 3 metres most of the time) and I only took 16 photos in total: 14 on the first dive and 2 on the second. I didn't even bother taking the D300 out of the housing on Saturday night. While things had improved slightly on Sunday, I still only took 116 photos on those two dives. So, I never got to use the netbook for portable storage.

I did, however, find it very useful for email, web browsing and even instant messaging. I ended up having to get up at 1am on Saturday for a call with the US. There I was in the middle of the night sitting in the passenger seat of the ute with my netbook on my lap on the phone instant messaging and doing emails. (I had my Virgin Broadband WiFi modem for connectivity which also worked well.) I think I've got my money's worth already.

Looks like I'll have a similar sort of trip coming up in October so I'll get to use it for storage then.
ATJ

Postby aim54x on Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:54 pm

ATJ wrote:...While things had improved slightly on Sunday, I still only took 116 photos on those two dives. So, I never got to use the netbook for portable storage.

Foiled!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby feldy on Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:37 pm

feldy wrote:ok Andrew - thanks for that; have just read that the Macbook Air [which was a bit underpowered] is supposedly going to benefit from some new whizz/bang new 'Sandy Bridge' chip/architecture, so maybe I'll start desperately saving my pennies...

must say the weight [or lack of it] is definitely appealing... also depends whether Mac australia does their usual exhorbitant Aust. price gouging thing, or whether they pass on some of the benefit of the higher A$??

A

well it looks like this unit is finally out - seems a fantastic product, but like anything Apple, seems overpriced - the 13" 256 Gb one seems to be going for over $1700!!

F
feldy

Postby gstark on Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:15 pm

feldy wrote:well it looks like this unit is finally out - seems a fantastic product, but like anything Apple, seems overpriced - the 13" 256 Gb one seems to be going for over $1700!!

Actually, it's a very good price given the underlying tech.

The one to get is the i7 13".

Remember the (lack of) weight, plus speed of CPU and speed of SSD, plus battery life.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby surenj on Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:43 pm

gstark wrote:Actually, it's a very good price given the underlying tech.

:agree: That 256GB SSD alone will burn your walet.
surenj

Postby feldy on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:10 pm

surenj wrote:gstark wrote:Actually, it's a very good price given the underlying tech.

seriously [actually checked - it's $1799!] ??

:?
feldy

Postby gstark on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:47 pm

feldy wrote:
surenj wrote:gstark wrote:Actually, it's a very good price given the underlying tech.

seriously [actually checked - it's $1799!] ??

:?

Yes.

Look at the underlying tech, the performance it will give you, and the weight. it's truly bleeding edge, but for bleeding edge, it's keenly priced.

If I hadn't have bought my new MacBook Pro just a few months ago, I would have bought one of these now.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby feldy on Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:57 pm

hi gary - which MB Pro did you get? I got the 13' just over a year ago, and have to admit, it's beautiful...
feldy

Postby PiroStitch on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:38 pm

I'm travelling around with my 15" i5 MbP with 3 external hdds (1 x 500Gb FW and 2 x 1Tb USB2). The two 1Tb have all the raw and processed PSD backups. The 500Gb drive right now is the primary drive containing all the NEF and DNG files. My MbP hdd stores all the LR catalogue files.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby surenj on Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:29 pm

feldy wrote:seriously [actually checked - it's $1799!] ??

I guess one could ask the question. How much is a similarly specced PC? :wink:
surenj

Postby ATJ on Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:17 pm

I should update what I have done recently to my 13" MBP. As mentioned above I replaced the main HDD with a 500GB. I have since replaced the optical drive with a 750GB HDD. I have placed my Lightroom catalog plus all my images onto the 750GB drive which means not only is it faster when I'm at home but I can take the whole thing with me on trips. Thanks to Greg for the idea.

When at home or away with the MBP, I transfer all images from the memory card to both internal drives. I do this for extra protection in case of a HDD failure before I another form of backup. The images on the main drive get backed up DVD each month and then removed. The images on the second drive get backed up to numerous external drives of which some are taken off site.

I'll still use the netbook for weekend trips but take the MBP for longer trips.
ATJ

Postby feldy on Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:54 pm

surenj wrote:
feldy wrote:seriously [actually checked - it's $1799!] ??

I guess one could ask the question. How much is a similarly specced PC? :wink:

indeed, and the answer is...?
feldy

Postby surenj on Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:02 pm

feldy wrote:indeed, and the answer is...?

Oops. I thought you'd have done a comparison to state that the $1799 is too much for the air?

I think the short answer may well be that there is no comparison (especially for thickness, weight and battery life not to mention the thunderbolt port etc). or is there?
surenj

Postby Mr Darcy on Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:07 pm

I looked at the Air long and hard before I went to Antarctica. I decided that despite its distinct advantages in weight, size & battery life, It was still a long way from the ideal travelling compaion for the halfway serious photographer. I bought a 15" MacbookPro instead. I modified it as detailed elsewhere & I felt it was an almost ideal travelling companion.
At 256Gb SSD, I still don't think the Air is where it should be for this use. A shorter trip perhaps, but not 2 months I took around 500Gb of photos.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby gstark on Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:22 pm

surenj wrote:
feldy wrote:indeed, and the answer is...?

Oops. I thought you'd have done a comparison to state that the $1799 is too much for the air?

I think the short answer may well be that there is no comparison (especially for thickness, weight and battery life not to mention the thunderbolt port etc). or is there?

Correct, and no. I think that one of the new Samsung Series 9s may come close, but I suspect it's more expensive.

Andrew, the new model was just released about a month back, and it's a very different beastie. The MBA is now showing the realisation of the promise it used to hold.

As to the thunderbolt port ... so far, I think that there's one or two monitors that support it. I give it zero weighting in my assessment.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby feldy on Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:17 pm

actually it's an exquisite dilemma - Gary I'm a bit like you, would happily rush out and get the MB Air, had I not already bought the MB Pro... on the other hand have had a quick look at the specs of most of the netbooks on offer and given they all seem to be based on a small ['atom'] processor with minimum amount of ram [typically 1Gb] I seriously doubt their ability to handle big graphics files...

Given my intended use overseas however, is more as a storage device [than intending to manipulate files] and given the possibility that it could be lost/stolen [a definite possibility the way I travel] I'll probably go for the netbook option. First step though will be to go to a retailer with a big folder of images on a card & see how they cope with a basic function like simply copying a big file across from the card ... the first netbook I got - the original MSI Wind had difficulty even doing that!
feldy

Postby ATJ on Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:22 am

feldy wrote:First step though will be to go to a retailer with a big folder of images on a card & see how they cope with a basic function like simply copying a big file across from the card ... the first netbook I got - the original MSI Wind had difficulty even doing that!

My Acer Aspire Onew D257 has no problems at all loading D300 raw files from Compact Flash (using a USB CF reader) or D7000 raw files from SDHC using the built in reader. I haven't timed it but it didn't seem to be any slower than on the MBP. I use Nikon Transfer in both cases.

I could time it for you if you like.
ATJ

Postby surenj on Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:32 am

I assumed the The speed of transfer from a card is largely dependent on the card's read speed. So according to commonly available standards, this would be a maximum of 45mb/s or so. My Acer netbook transfers pretty slowly but my cards are only 20Mb/s. So about 1 RAW file per second (maximum theoretically).

feldy wrote:Given my intended use overseas however, is more as a storage device [than intending to manipulate files] and given the possibility that it could be lost/stolen [a definite possibility the way I travel]

It wouldn't make sense to even consider a Macbook air for this purpose. :?
surenj

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:35 am

feldy wrote:Given my intended use overseas however, is more as a storage device [than intending to manipulate files] and given the possibility that it could be lost/stolen [a definite possibility the way I travel] I'll probably go for the netbook option. First step though will be to go to a retailer with a big folder of images on a card & see how they cope with a basic function like simply copying a big file across from the card ... the first netbook I got - the original MSI Wind had difficulty even doing that!

I've experienced no such issues with my MSI Wind U100. FWIW, that box is now over three years old and is used at least three times each week in the studio for broadcasting. It's been upgraded to 2GB/500GB, runs Windows 7, and still offers a notch over three hours' battery life.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby feldy on Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:36 pm

thanks guys; actually am thinking that that 2nd Gb of Ram could be a big contributor, Gary

surenj wrote:
feldy wrote:Given my intended use overseas however, is more as a storage device [than intending to manipulate files] and given the possibility that it could be lost/stolen [a definite possibility the way I travel]

It wouldn't make sense to even consider a Macbook air for this purpose. :?

sorry Surenj - 'light & portable' - I had assumed that's the very reason most people would get a McBook Air??
:shock:
feldy

Postby ATJ on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:18 pm

ATJ wrote:I could time it for you if you like.

OK, I just transferred 50 (fifty) D7000 raw files from the SDHC card using the internal SD readers in my MBP (8GB RAM) and my Acer Netbook (2GB RAM). On the MBP I was copying to 2 internal HDDs (primary and backup). On the netbook I was copying to the internal HDD and an external USB connected HDD (primary and backup).

In both cases I used the latest version of Nikon Transfer for the copying and timed from clicking the Start Transfer button until Nikon Transfer reported there were 0 files in the queue.

The MBP took 1:42
The netbook took 1:46

Nikon Transfer may not be the fastest program out there but I don't see the differences between these two as being significant.
Last edited by ATJ on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATJ

Postby ATJ on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:20 pm

feldy wrote:sorry Surenj - 'light & portable' - I had assumed that's the very reason most people would get a McBook Air??
:shock:

I think Suren's point is that as a) you only want to use it as a storage device and not manipulate files and b) you're worried about it being stolen, a MacBook Air is way, way, way overkill for your intended purposes. A $291 netbook (like the one I have) will do exactly the same job.
ATJ

Postby surenj on Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:02 pm

Feldy, There are many contradictions to your reasoning [Which is ok but confusing when trying to help you]. See Andrew's response above.

feldy wrote:sorry Surenj - 'light & portable' - I had assumed that's the very reason most people would get a McBook Air??

Perhaps. But we are not talking about most people. I thought we were trying to help you to decide.
surenj

Postby feldy on Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:47 pm

ATJ wrote:I think Suren's point is that as a) you only want to use it as a storage device and not manipulate files and b) you're worried about it being stolen, a MacBook Air is way, way, way overkill for your intended purposes. A $291 netbook (like the one I have) will do exactly the same job.

yes, exactly - in the cafes/on the streets of Paris, and possibly cheap hotels/hostels, a nice shiny new MB Air would be a real thief magnet...

thanks for the timings - tested my old MSI on transferring about 1/4 Gb of files from a fairly recent SD card and it was reasonably quick; it was in going thru the images and processing the thumbnails, that the wait ensued [5+ mins]... have checked out netbooks in my local JB and there's a lovely little ASUS with a [admittedly tiny] 256 Gb graphics card and 2Gb of Ram for around $400, which looks like it's got my name on it!

A 8)
feldy

Postby aim54x on Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:07 pm

feldy wrote:tested my old MSI on transferring about 1/4 Gb of files from a fairly recent SD card and it was reasonably quick; it was in going thru the images and processing the thumbnails, that the wait ensued [5+ mins]... have checked out netbooks in my local JB and there's a lovely little ASUS with a [admittedly tiny] 256 Gb graphics card and 2Gb of Ram for around $400, which looks like it's got my name on it!

A 8)

I am still using my MSI U100 all these years on....that ASUS sounds very convincing....I would prefer more RAM but for $400 one would have to be content
Cameron
aim54x

Postby feldy on Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:45 pm

surenj wrote:Feldy, There are many contradictions to your reasoning [Which is ok but confusing when trying to help you]. See Andrew's response above.

PS Surenj, if the nuances of the situation as I've laid out are too complicated for you to understand, feel free not to comment; the sort of 'help' you seem to be trying to offer is help I can happily do without.

I prefer to take advice from those who have equal or more experience than myself rather than you, who by the calibre of your responses, clearly does not.

A
feldy

Postby aim54x on Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:17 am

feldy wrote:PS Surenj, if the nuances of the situation as I've laid out are too complicated for you to understand, feel free not to comment; the sort of 'help' you seem to be trying to offer is help I can happily do without.

I prefer to take advice from those who have equal or more experience than myself rather than you, who by the calibre of your responses, clearly does not.

A

I am not sure what you mean by such a post, but you clearly state that you want light and portable but are worried about the possibility of the loss of the unit as well as it being a primarily for storage, NOT for manipulation. Yet the consensus that the MBA would be powerful enough for manipulation, but due to the excessive cost and bling factor it would be a target for theft......HOWEVER you still plug on about the MBA, which exceeds your aims for storage and discrete (ie smaller target for theft) and dont think you are contradicting your requirements?

Im not offering advice, but just taking a 3rd party analysis of your comments to date. Are you concerns storage and transfer or image processing?

I am watching this thread as my U100 is starting to give off some excessive fan noise and I may be in the market for a replacement in the near future. I have used the U100 for storage and transfer, but definitely agree that it doesnt cut it as an editing machine.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby ATJ on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:14 am

I have Lightroom installed on my $291 netbook. I can import the images into the catalog, do keywording and even image manipulation fine. The biggest issue is the small size of the screen and that can somewhat be overcome by closing all the side panels, using full screen mode and using keyboard shortcuts. It isn't as good as a full screen with mouse, etc. but it does work.
ATJ

Postby feldy on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:35 pm

thanks Andrew - actually just checked out current prices of Lightroom and realised at $412, it's actually more than the price of my ['highly spec'ed' :) ] netbook!

Given I use the mac version of P/shop//Bridge for most of my graphics work [ie mac version not pc] does anyone have any suggestions for a lite but effective equivalent of lightroom?

cheers
A
feldy

Postby ATJ on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:37 pm

feldy wrote:Given I use the mac version of P/shop//Bridge for most of my graphics work [ie mac version not pc] does anyone have any suggestions for a lite but effective equivalent of lightroom?

Are you saying you don't have a license for Lightroom at all? If so, then you might be out of luck.

If you do have a license for Lightroom, your Lightroom license allows use on two computers. The license knows nothing about Mac or PC. i.e. you can have Lightroom on one PC and one Mac or two PCs or two Macs.

I have Lightroom on my MBP and my netbook. Perfectly legal and above board.
ATJ

Postby feldy on Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:21 pm

'fraid not Andrew - I don't need automation in what I do, and I have to admit to being a bit of an antediluvian in that respect - ie once I get comfortable with a certain set of software [as is the case with P/shop 3 + Bridge, in this case] I tend to not worry about all the new software developments & just get on with my design work. For instance, I realise that although Bridge is probably an extremely basic compared to all the other image management software, I just tend to make do - 'head down & bum up' so to speak :)

However P/shop is definitely not into allowing you to use cross platform off one licence!!

A
feldy

Postby ATJ on Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:32 pm

In that case, you don't really need Lightroom on the netbook. All you really need is something like Nikon View to browse through the images.
ATJ

Postby feldy on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:34 pm

actually, it's pretty funny - I think I remember now... I bought one of the first D70's in the country and along with it came this bright shiny cd, with the first version of Nikon View [may have been called 'Capture' then, can't remember??] - installed it in my main [design] mac but it seems the Nikon software gurus had omitted to let people know there were a couple of major flaws... crashed my mac & in the end, had to completely rebuild it - the only time I've ever had a problem with any of my high-end macs.

Come to think of it, it may have been that experience that put me off experimenting with installing new graphics software [seems a long time ago now]... :)

anyway, installed the latest Nikon View & works fine!

cheers
A
feldy

Postby biggerry on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:51 am

wow, sometimes its best not to come back to a thread..

feldy wrote:Given I use the mac version of P/shop//Bridge for most of my graphics work [ie mac version not pc] does anyone have any suggestions for a lite but effective equivalent of lightroom?

maybe start a new thread for that one, that is a whole different ball game to portable storage.

feldy wrote: PS Surenj, if the nuances of the situation as I've laid out are too complicated for you to understand, feel free not to comment; the sort of 'help' you seem to be trying to offer is help I can happily do without.

A

on the contrary, that thought, comment or whatever it was, should have been kept to yourself. Simple.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby gstark on Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:42 am

Now now, kiddies, please behave.

:cheers:
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby feldy on Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:10 pm

well, picked up the nifty little Acer Aspire 1 today and have to say, am amazed at how far netbooks have come since I picked up the original MSI Wind - just a beautiful little unit... and fast with images - not only loading them but even viewing them... it helps that this unit has dual core AMD chip [amazing for the price] a tiny [256 Mb! :) ] graphics card and I got an extra 1 GB of Ram pre-loaded - they're not easy to retro-fit apparently - and all for $340!!

As I said, it just amazing how far these units seem to have come in 3-4 yrs; it even has a reasonable screen [something like 1280 x y?] which on a 10" screen results in a more than passable picture... and have to say, in terms of value equation [vs Macbook Air for $1800] have to say you get a lot of computer for your money...

A
feldy

Postby ATJ on Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:36 am

feldy wrote:... it helps that this unit has dual core AMD chip [amazing for the price] a tiny [256 Mb! :) ] graphics card and I got an extra 1 GB of Ram pre-loaded - they're not easy to retro-fit apparently - and all for $340!!

...[something like 1280 x y?] which on a 10" screen results in a more than passable picture...

What model is it?

Mine is the D257 which has an Intel Atom N455 and the screen is 1024x600. I also replaced the memory in mine myself.
ATJ

Postby feldy on Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:07 am

Model no. a little hard to work out ['522 series', whatever that means] - seems it was their 'top of the line' one - technically $398 vs your model [which i seem to remember was around $300?]

- but I got in there and it was apparently a catalogue special of $290, then the extra Ram on top... as i said, little dual core AMD chip & the graphics card; not wanting to spruik for them [JB HIfi], but - seems like an amazing deal.
feldy

Postby ATJ on Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:54 am

Well... I just discovered I have another device for portable storage - my iPad. A year ago I got the camera kit which lets me transfer files from a USB Compact flash reader or from an SC card. I had always assumed it was just stripping out the JPEG from the NEF and storing that on the iPad.

We had a mini-meet last year at Concord and I transferred 5 photos from the CF card from my D300. They have been sitting on the iPad since then. Every time I connect the iPad to the MacBook Pro, Nikon Transfer pops up to tell me there are files to transfer. I have never really paid any attention. Today I did and realise that they are in fact NEF files.

So, you could use an iPad for portable storage. Sure, you only have 64GB available, but that's still quite a bit of storage. I guess you could do the same thing with an iPod Touch (which have up to 128GB).
ATJ

Postby feldy on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:39 pm

surenj wrote:I think the short answer may well be that there is no comparison (especially for thickness, weight and battery life not to mention the thunderbolt port etc). or is there?

interesting, there is a video on today's The Australian website on the new class of pc called the 'ultrabook' - light, powerful laptops very much a pc equivalent of the MB Air - will be interesting to see what sort of price bracket they end up in [& perhaps whether Apple finds a reason to mount a legal challenge??].

ATJ wrote:Well... I just discovered I have another device for portable storage - my iPad.

... call me old-fashioned but the I-Pad doesn't appeal to me - I like the convenience of having a mouse and keyboard... also have to say, I'm still amazed by my nifty new netbook - the difference in speed, screen resolution/quality and even trackpad & keyboard precision, over the my original MSI wind is amazing.
feldy

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:45 pm

feldy wrote:call me old-fashioned but the I-Pad doesn't appeal to me - I like the convenience of having a mouse and keyboard

You can. You use the Bluetooth versions. I have tried the keyboard with my iPhone. It works a treat.
You do get odd looks though when you pull your phone out of one pocket & the keyboard out of another (I have deep pockets ;) ) and start answering your emails on the bus.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby ATJ on Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:36 pm

feldy wrote:
ATJ wrote:Well... I just discovered I have another device for portable storage - my iPad.

... call me old-fashioned but the I-Pad doesn't appeal to me -

You're old fashioned... nevertheless, others may find the iPad appealing and so it is a portable storage option for them.
ATJ

Postby aim54x on Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:25 am

Asus eeeTablet Transformer....my little sister bought one recently and she is really liking it. Think Tablet with keyboard dock (which extends battery life to 16hrs) that adds a SD slot and 2 USB ports to the microSD port on the tablet itself. I am considering one of these, but I am worried about performance.....

Samsung Series 9 really looks interesting as a nice middle ground between a netbook and a full size laptop.
Cameron
aim54x

Previous

Return to General Discussion