non-DSLR pocket camera for travel

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

non-DSLR pocket camera for travel

Postby feldy on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:57 pm

hi guys - am thinking of doing a photographic trip to Paris later in the year ['Cafes of Paris' or something equally original]... a pro-friend of mine several years ago had a little p-&-s Ricoh which he used to take with him when travelling [think it was a fixed 35mm lens but don't know the model no.] ... beautiful little camera, or at least beautiful results!

will need to take a small unit such as that to act as a backup when travelling [& also for surrepticious 'in-situ' cafe shots] - does anyone have any recommendations?

PS anyone's welcome to join me on the project, by the way!
feldy

Re: non-DSLR pocket camera for travel

Postby feldy on Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:00 pm

oops Garry - just realised I dropped this in completely the wrong section; please feel free to bump this across to General discussion on my behalf!!

cheers
A
feldy

Postby Mr Darcy on Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:34 pm

The camera I used recently for just such a purpose is the Panasonic LX-5. Absolutely brilliant.
The only thing it missed was a viewfinder. My old eyes didn't cope too well with the live view screen. An electronic viewfinder is available as an option & I have since got one. The other issue was me bumping the mode wheel. That was just a matter of checking it each time.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:57 am

I'd have a serious look at the Sony NEX-3 or -5, or their newer model. Very nice, very small, but very nice.

Yes, I know.

Or the Olympus PEN. One of the newer models - just announced last week.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby phillipb on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:05 pm

gstark wrote:I'd have a serious look at the Sony NEX-3 or -5, or their newer model. Very nice, very small, but very nice.

Yes, I know.

:shock: :shock: :shock: First was the sigma (12-20 from memory) now it's Sony, next you'll be endorsing the carbon tax Gary :lol:

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:09 pm

gstark wrote:Yes, I know.

If it is any consolation Gary, I just picked up a Sony eBook Reader. The PRS650. Absabloodylootely magic. The only problem is that they are scarcer than hen's teeth. I have had it on my to buy list for nearly six months. Local stock only appeared last week, and vanished again the same day. On their online store at least.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby feldy on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:21 pm

gstark wrote:

actually just had a quick look at the 'pen' - Olympus Pen epl-2 Compact SLR Silver epl2 Silver Twin Kit - is this the one?

looks a nice little unit, although a little pricey... picked up the phrase Not a compact. Not an SLR. It's a PEN" - assume it's this new 'mid-dslr' format?? - does anyone care to enlighten me; is it any good?

tx
A
feldy

Postby Raskill on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:25 pm

Well, for ease of use, quality images etc, I recommend the Nikon P7000. About the size of a packet of cigarettes, exceptionally easy to shoot in manual mode, allowing for better shots. Fits easily into a pocket also. :)
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby the foto fanatic on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:21 pm

TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:42 pm

feldy wrote:
gstark wrote:

actually just had a quick look at the 'pen' - Olympus Pen epl-2 Compact SLR Silver epl2 Silver Twin Kit - is this the one?

looks a nice little unit, although a little pricey... picked up the phrase Not a compact. Not an SLR. It's a PEN" - assume it's this new 'mid-dslr' format?? - does anyone care to enlighten me; is it any good?

As Trevor has said, the EP3 is the newest model, although they actually announced three new models last week. The EP2 is about a year old. As it's just being superseded, there may be some bargains about.

We're referring to these as MILC - Mirrorless, Interchangeable Lens Cameras.

And for both the Sony and the Oly, you can grab adapters that will let you use other glass on them, like your existing Nikkor glass, or maybe grab some old OM glass, which should be very inexpensive.

I think that Chris has a Pen and is very impressed with it. I actually very much like the Sony with the pancake lens; it's a very nice package, and very solid, with a larger sensor than the Oly.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:53 pm

Here's the link to the presser for the Sony NEX-C3.

I've asked for details of the Olympus from their PR company.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:30 pm

phillipb wrote:
gstark wrote:I'd have a serious look at the Sony NEX-3 or -5, or their newer model. Very nice, very small, but very nice.

Yes, I know.

:shock: :shock: :shock: First was the sigma (12-20 from memory) now it's Sony, next you'll be endorsing the carbon tax Gary :lol:

I loved John Clarke's take on it yesterday : Carbon Tax - The Musical.

Clarke and Dawe wrote:
BRYAN DAWE: What does it cost?

JOHN CLARKE: Well, it costs what you pay for the ticket and then you go in?

BRYAN DAWE: Yeah, but hang on, what is the cost?

JOHN CLARKE: Well, hang on, I'm trying to explain that to you. It costs what you pay for the ticket, you go in, you see the show, you bring your ticket back and they hand your ticket in, you get a refund.

BRYAN DAWE: Sorry, you get your money back?

JOHN CLARKE: Get you money back, yeah.

BRYAN DAWE: So it's free?

JOHN CLARKE: No, it's not free; you have to buy a ticket.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Murray Foote on Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:56 pm

Another option might be the Fujifilm X100, essentially a cheap Leica. Excellent quality provided you're happy with a fixed prime lens, slow autofocus and not that cheap.
Murray Foote

Postby feldy on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:00 am

a pro-photographer I know won't look past the Ricoh GRD''s but I have to say it looks like this MFT [Micro Four Thirds] format is really starting to gain some traction: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/ex ... 6122591622
Last edited by feldy on Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feldy

Postby ozimax on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:53 pm

Murray Foote wrote:Another option might be the Fujifilm X100, essentially a cheap Leica. Excellent quality provided you're happy with a fixed prime lens, slow autofocus and not that cheap.

Feldy, I have owned Canon G9, G10, Panasonic LX-3, Olympus E-PL1, all brilliant cameras, but for sheer image quality (especially in low light), the new Fuji X100 is in a different league altogether. However, it is a "street shooter" 35mm only, which may be restrictive to your travel needs. In which case, the interchangeable lens 4/3s, Sony offerings etc may be more suited.

I can shoot the X100 at ISO 3200 without the scarcest thought about noise, and even 6400 is fine. I haven't shot at 12,800 but I assume that would be usable as a last resort. It also shoots at 5 fps, and has the incredible dual OVF/EVF viewfinder which is a marvel. A leaf shutter makes it virtually silent, and it syncs with flash at 1/1000. The build quality is tank like.

Only downside as far as I can see? It is very expensive at $1150 street, or thereabouts.

Regards.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby feldy on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:31 pm

ozimax wrote:
Murray Foote wrote:Another option might be the Fujifilm X100, essentially a cheap Leica. Excellent quality provided you're happy with a fixed prime lens, slow autofocus and not that cheap.

Feldy, I have owned Canon G9, G10, Panasonic LX-3, Olympus E-PL1, all brilliant cameras, but for sheer image quality (especially in low light), the new Fuji X100 is in a different league altogether. However, it is a "street shooter" 35mm only, which may be restrictive to your travel needs. In which case, the interchangeable lens 4/3s, Sony offerings etc may be more suited.

Only downside as far as I can see? It is very expensive at $1150 street, or thereabouts.
Regards.

took a look on their site: "retro styling, its die-cast magnesium alloy body" - have to say, it looks beautiful!!

A
feldy

Postby Murray Foote on Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:55 am

It's a camera you need to fully understand (as well as your own shooting style) before taking the bite....
Murray Foote

Postby who on Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:45 pm

I saw this today on one of my other haunts - a Brissie 'tog who I assume has now returned from his long European holiday.

X100 at play..... great so long as it suits YOU.

http://forums.overlander.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=71681
Old D200+extras
who

Postby feldy on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:44 am

thanks for this; my only slight curiousity is that this 'pro' friend of mine [& apparently a good number of others] can't speak highly enough of this little Ricoh - there's even a chat site specifically for it on flickr - has anyone actually tried it??

A
feldy

Postby Matt. K on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:48 pm

Fujifilm x100. Bloody brilliant camera and great for night shooting. A classic is born.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Murray Foote on Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:18 am

It's the Fujifilm X100 not the Ricoh GXR. There's one person on the Forum who has one and I've just bought one as well.

It's a compact camera, coat pocket size, with better image quality than most crop-sensor DSLRs. It's also a fixed lens camera essentially in the style of a 1960s rangefinder and not suited to everyone's photographic style. According to reports, you have to be prepared to read the manual repeatedly from cover to cover to understand how to use it. There are lots of reviews of it and you need to distinguish between the ones before and after the firmware upgrade. I think it would be a good idea to read these before you consider purchasing.

However, it does sound rather like the camera you described in your initial post - and this one will have much better image quality than the one you were referring to.
Murray Foote

Postby aim54x on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:23 pm

feldy wrote:thanks for this; my only slight curiousity is that this 'pro' friend of mine [& apparently a good number of others] can't speak highly enough of this little Ricoh - there's even a chat site specifically for it on flickr - has anyone actually tried it??

A

Do you mean the Ricoh GRD/GRD II/GRD III, I have used the GRD III and it is a pleasure to use, its lens is fast and bright, and the snap focus mode works really well for street work. However the tiny little sensor means it does not compare to the EVILs and X100. The GRD III is the current model and is probably due for replacement soon, but is also pricing itself out of the competition (similar price to the latest generation of EVIL cameras).

If you mean the GXR system, well it is interesting, I have not shot with one, but I would definitely be after the new M-Mount module and nothing else. But once again the price is prohibitive...too much so. Get a Sony NEX and a M-mount adaptor to get the same setup (APS-C sensor + m-mount lenses) for a lot less.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby digitor on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:34 pm

I've had an X100 for a couple of months now, and I love it. Jpegs out of the camera are outstanding, high ISO performance is, well, outstanding, and the optical viewfinder is just - how can I put it - outstanding! I bought this cam (along with an S95 for my wife) for an impending holiday to Europe (we leave next week). There's no way I can come at taking pics with a camera at arm's length - with the Fuji, I'm sure people think that I'm just some old fart with an ancient film camera, oh, isn't that sweet, they think. Little do they know.... :D

Here's one at ISO 3200 (no NR)

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Postby ozimax on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:12 pm

digitor wrote:I've had an X100 for a couple of months now, and I love it.

I've just sold mine, very reluctantly might I add. (I have also sold my 50L too... :cry: ) Unfortunately, when you need some income, you have to do what you have to do.

Nevertheless, the X100 is an outstanding camera. You will have an absolute blast on your trip away. Please post some photos on your return.

Ozi.
ozimax

Postby Murray Foote on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:48 pm

That does look good. Very encouraging.
Murray Foote

Postby digitor on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:22 pm

ozimax wrote: Please post some photos on your return.

Ozi.

I'd like to, but... this is a DSLR forum, don't forget! :shock:

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Postby ozimax on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:26 pm

digitor wrote:
ozimax wrote: Please post some photos on your return.

Ozi.

I'd like to, but... this is a DSLR forum, don't forget! :shock:

Cheers

Don't let that bother you. We even have some (im)posters on here who keep showing images made with Nikon cameras... :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
ozimax

Postby Murray Foote on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:34 pm

Digital Single Lens Report. Not a problem.
Murray Foote

Return to General Discussion