cf card reader

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

cf card reader

Postby hame on Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:40 pm

just thought i ask if there are any card readers that are better than others to get and could you give a aprox. cost .
just brought the d 70 2 weeks ago and have only been down loading through the camera to computer (no problems so far )
i have 2 cards one scan disk extreme 256 mb and a transcend compact flash 512mb 45* i brought from a shop after buying the twin lense kit from a certain shop open on sundays(flew to canberra monday 6am 4 week with kids)) only to find the extreme 256 card was wrong size :evil: and could not exchange till we got back and would not refund me the cost of the scandisk card

thanks and hope its not to basic qu
hame

Postby gstark on Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:59 pm

I'm curious: how can the card - that ypu bought with the camera - be the wrong size?

In terms of capacity, yes, it's small, but if it's physically the wrong size, then the store has sold you the wroing card. The store, being the (supposed) experts, should know the correct card, and should be willing to refund your purchase price for the card.

This would probably fall under the Sale Of Goods Act, and nothing the store says changes the application of law.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:18 pm

Hi I agree with Gary, they should know what card fits the camera!

Card readers are cheap, I would buy one to stop wearing your camera out with transfers, there is a site on the web with some differences (run from Germany from memory) but as long as you get USB2 you will be ok, and probably wont notice the difference.
Glen

Postby hame on Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:45 pm

Thanks gstark and Glen for replying

all i can remember is it was a scan disk extreme card with letters of sdsd on the out side of the packet and when i looked in the d70 manual it was not listed as type from scan disk . if you tryed to put it in the slot in your camera it was aprox. only 3/4 the size from top to bottom

i unfortunitly rang around (5 shops in adelaide)on the thursday for a camera and spent months following the reviews online e.t.c. and as i had my old slr camera pentax mz50 camera stolen out of girl friends car 6 months ago been hanging out to buy.

only one shop was open on sunday and as i live 2 hrs away i put a deposit on the " kit " (no bag or tripod mind you either) to be picked up sunday as we were staying in Adelaide sunday night so i presume who ever put the kit together grabed the wrong card as they looked like they came in exactly the same box

no hint of sorry on there behalf either so i wont be going there again to buy anything and wish the other camera shop 50 mtrs up the road under a fast food out let would be open on sundays

BUT saying all that i am extreamly happy :D with the camera and got some great pics so far and only just scratching the surface of its potential
hame

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:20 am

OK.

A SD card is definitely the wrong tyoe, and the store in question needs to be broight to account.

Call them uo and speak - politely but firmly - with the manager, pointing out that you expect his staff to know what card the camera takes, and to take care - and to be professional - in supplying you with the correct card.

If he still doesn't want to talk turkey, threaten him with your local fair trading department; point out to him that the Sale of Goods Act stipulates that the product must be fit for the purpose intended. If the card doesn't even fit in the camera, it is not fit under the SOGA, and they're in breach of the law.

Finally, if you paid for the camera by credit card, threaten to cancel the whole deal throiugh your credit card company. Tell him that you'll have them withhold the payment for ALL of the goods, based upon their breach of the law.

Was this a Ted's store, btw? I suspect it was, and if so, I can give you a little more information off line as well.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Raydar on Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:44 am

What a joke!!!!! :shock:

As Gary said stick it to them.
It’s quite plain to see they stuffed up big time so I would have a go at them, get the right card for the cam,what you paid for, then don’t go back.

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:09 am

Hi Hame,
I'm one of the trader in this industries, all trader including their staffs should have the knowledgeable and giving the right advice same as selling correct gears to their customer, if not the liabilities will fall back to the trader not the consumer.
You have the right to challenge that shop to demand the proper, correct gear that they sold did not work due to their lack of experience or knowledgeable, wrong type etc... The Fair Trading Act clearly stated.
IMHO, they should welcome you back by swapping the SD for the CF and hoping there's more biz from you or your friends, family later.
Make and keep one existing happy customer is better than find anther 10 new customers, it's also like a boomerang!!!!!!
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

i probably did not explain it all corectly

Postby hame on Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:56 am

Sorry but i may have not explained it correctly in first post but here goes again.
The shop and yes it was one of the teds stops in adelaide sold me a lense kit with d70 for $2490 with scandisk extreme 256 mg card that was wrong size (sdsd markings on packet like i mentioned and a lot smaller size ) lense were the 18- 70 plus 70-300 (i wanted this for taking sports pics of kids playing hockey and capturing birds etc but after reading some posts i think people thing it may havce been not worth getting (but i did get some nice close ups of some at botanic garden in canberra))

when we got to canberra early monday i found a camera shop who was most helpfull (kodak shop ) and he sold both the scandisk extreme cards and the transcend 521 at 45 times card. i brought the transcend 521 card for $200 as i got double the card size for only aprox$60 more

the whole i dear of buying the camera on the day before was so i could take pics of " all the holliday " and have a local place to return if falty e.t.c. (my gf has brother who flys plains from hong kong and could have got me camera and body and 18-70 lense for around $1700 but i thought stuff it get it local and pay a bit more and if problems should be easy to fix )

by the way i had no idear were teds were in canberra but actually was told were one was by a shop who was burning the down loaded images on to cd for me and there machine was not going to be fixed for a day or 2 and i needed more space on the cf card. Was a bit reluctant to go in there but the girl in there was very good. i told here what happned and she was not that inpressed. i asked her what sort of deal she would have given and she said they would have included trypod and cary case as well but said perhaps different shops have different deals going (dont think she was going to admit i got riped offor bum deal)

flew back in to Adelaide after week away. went to shop next day and told them what happned.i asked if i could have credit to the cost of the card as i had already got a new card in Canberra and did not realy need 2.
The man said no(as it came as a package deal) but would swap the scan disk extremesdsd 256 mg card to the correct card which they did (so now i have 2 cards rather than 1 which is all i realy need as for $10 i can get a cd burnt with images on it

I also asked how come i did not get a camera bag and tripod included in the deal and he fobed me off with some excuse saying that did not know about it. They had a catalog on there counter then and there that had the deal mentioned in it !! BUT perhaps the deal only just started and was not on 10 - days earlier when i picked it up

i should also mention i purchased a Lowepro camera bag and filter for both lenses (hoya 62.0s skylight & hoya 67.0s skylight 1b) from the Ted's shop (on the sunday i got the camera,lenses and wrong cf card) for about $110 aprox. thinking i better protect the lenses and camera that just cost me $2,500

i have a tripod so not fussed at not getting a new one (but wish i had taken it over and taken it to telstra tower for some better night pics :oops: )

Anyway sorry this messge is so long and if you got this far thanks for reading it all

Hamish
hame

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:15 pm

Hamish,

Ok, that sounds a lot better.

There's nothing at all wrong with having two cards actually, and don't be surprised if you find yourself acquiring another one further down the track. One advantage of two (or more) cards is that you're less likely to fall foul of the "all eggs in one basket" syndrome should something go amiss.

Why are you getting shops to burn your CDs? Doesn't your PC have a burner? Or are we just talking about while you're travelling?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

yep just when away on the holliday

Postby hame on Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:27 pm

yes just when away on holliday i had the pics burnt

but i have a question regarding that

when i down load the pics off the 2 cd that were burnt there is not all the detail you get on f stop time date e.t.c.....
But on one of the disks there is one folder with pics in and before you go in that there is a text document " digifilm" 19 kb..... and a file called nikon 001.dsc

i was wondering if this is the infomation about each pic taken?

example below
FILE=/dcim/100ncd70/004.jpg
ORIGINAL=/dcim/100ncd70/dsc_0183.jpg
TIMESTAMP=0x412c8fcc
[STD]
QTY=1

any idears if its posible to move this info over in to the picture project program or were ever the pics are downloaded to?

i am not to worried if i cant but it could be helpful in working out what worked and what settings did not
thanks again for coments/ help :D
hame

Return to General Discussion