Robbed in Cambodia

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Robbed in Cambodia

Postby jben_net on Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:47 pm

Hey All,

Even though I seem to be the one telling my friends to backup and then shaking my head when they loose data, I fell into the same trap. I was robbed in cambodia and lost about 2000 jpgs. Even now when I think of the shots I lost I feel like either throwing up, punching a wall, or bursting into tears. Thankfully, I havn't done any of these things so far and I think that within another 10 years, and lots of good shrinks, I'll be good as new :)

Anyway down to the nitty gritty. My travel insurance company wants to see reciepts of my D200 purchase, which I bought through poon. I cannot for the life of me find it anywhere and they were very specific about sending them the reciept. I know roughly when I bought the camera - if I email poon do you guys thing he'd be able to dig it up for me?

Cheers,

James
jben_net

Re: Robbed in Cambodia

Postby Bindii on Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:52 pm

It can't hurt to ask Poon.. :)

And *hugs* for the loss of your images... that really sux..
The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but it's still on the list... ;)
Bindii

Postby the foto fanatic on Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:53 pm

I would hope that Gary and/or Poon would have details of the transaction. Also your bank records, assuming you paid by EFT, should help.

Why don't you PM Gary and ask him?
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby gstark on Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:04 pm

Sorry to hear of your losses.

Your bank transactions records will be of use, and especially if you bought through the forum facilities since about August 2006. If that's the case, then we should also be able to find a transaction number for you, along with the order, which should be enough to document your purchase.

If your purchase was prior to then, or through another channel, then I doubt I'll be able to help. Indeed, if you bought through one particular channel, it may well transpire that your purchase, although perhaps advised to you as being through Poon, was not in fact so sourced.

HTH.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Willy wombat on Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:07 pm

Poor bugger - Cambodia is a photographer's delight. Sorry for your loss.

Where were you robbed?
Steve (Nikon D200/D700)
My photography website http://wwphoto.redbubble.com/
My photo blog http://www.redbubble.com/people/wwphoto
Please feel free to offer any constructive criticism on my works
Willy wombat

Postby jben_net on Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:11 pm

Noooo I think it was purchased in June 2006.... I was robbed on a bus while I was sleeping on the way to Siam Reap..... If anyone goes there be careful half of the people I'd met on my travels had something stolen from them... Gary I'll PM you.
jben_net

Postby Glen on Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:17 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss, hope the replacement is easily sourced
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby jben_net on Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:48 pm

The bank statements will be easy enough to get, but the reciept is what worries me.

I've emailed Poon and PMd Gary so I've got my fingers crossed from now on - I've noticed the new system wasn't implimented when I placed my order which makes me really nervous. I have a reciept for the 85 1.4 and the 8 gig card which were in/on the camera when it was nicked so I guess thats a start right? In cambodia the average yearly wage is 100 USD so this camera with the lens represents more than 20 years work for your typical rice paddy farmer.. makes you see why westerners can be a target.
jben_net

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:49 pm

Weren't you going to take a D3 :shock: :shock: :shock: ? I'm sorry about your gear, that it terrible I hope the insurance company comes through.
Alpha_7

Postby jben_net on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:55 pm

yeah i was going to but everything got too expensive in the end!
jben_net

Postby Pehpsi on Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:41 pm

Wow that sux :( Good luck with the insurance peeps..
Nikon D70
12-24 DX, 18-70 DX, 70-200 VR

20" iMac Intel C2D
Aperture 2.1
PS CS3

http://www.jamesrobertphotography.com
Pehpsi

Postby Jeko70 on Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:42 am

jben_net wrote:The bank statements will be easy enough to get, but the reciept is what worries me.
.......... In cambodia the average yearly wage is 100 USD so this camera with the lens represents more than 20 years work for your typical rice paddy farmer.. makes you see why westerners can be a target.

Sorry to hear of your loss, hope everything will be sorted out smoothly.

You're right but.....
I've been in Cambodia for almost two months travelled alone around the country, been on the border of Laos-Vietnam and slept in a village with no light in a family never meet in all life, in many places my broken English was as good as If I'd ever studied at Oxford Uni......
Back at home safe and with all gears.

Went to the Great Ocean Road and robbed of everything!

So think positive, was right time to update gears! :wink:

Good luck with the insurance

Fab
Cogito Ergo Sum!....Our World Is Not For Sale....
Photocinearts Michelangelo Antonioni Flickr
Jeko70

Postby chewlinyip on Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:19 pm

Jeko70 wrote:
jben_net wrote:The bank statements will be easy enough to get, but the reciept is what worries me.
.......... In cambodia the average yearly wage is 100 USD so this camera with the lens represents more than 20 years work for your typical rice paddy farmer.. makes you see why westerners can be a target.

Sorry to hear of your loss, hope everything will be sorted out smoothly.

You're right but.....
I've been in Cambodia for almost two months travelled alone around the country, been on the border of Laos-Vietnam and slept in a village with no light in a family never meet in all life, in many places my broken English was as good as If I'd ever studied at Oxford Uni......
Back at home safe and with all gears.

Went to the Great Ocean Road and robbed of everything!

So think positive, was right time to update gears! :wink:

Good luck with the insurance

Fab

Sorry for ur loss mate hope it turns out ok for u.

fab - awesome story :cheers:
chewlinyip

Postby Oz_Beachside on Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:14 pm

normally you would be asked to "provide proof of ownership". do you have a self portrait with the camera in it, or a friend has a pic of you with it?

technically, your files will have camera type "D200" so that would also be adequate proof.

serial numbers and original receipts are a myth of most small claims call centre... unless its a dubious insurance firm.
Oz_Beachside

Postby mansunzz on Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:31 pm

i guess that is the worst nightmare of all photographers of actually losing the images instead of the equipment. Good luck. You can always go back again with a backup drive this time. :)
mansunzz

Return to General Discussion