Shock, horror!!

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Shock, horror!!

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:00 pm

Gasp! even.

Maxwell's already have the new cameras up on their website.

Including the F6!

http://www.maxwell.com.au/photo/nikon/slr_film/f6.html
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:49 pm

Yes, I have seen it,
Came to their office this moring and here are my questions:

How much is the F6? TBA
How much for the D2x? TBA
Can you take the order now? TBA
How long do we have to wait for back-order? TBA
When can we see the physical new released products? TBA
When can I receive my 200-400VR? TBA
What's the status of my back-ordered of the Nikkor 17-55DX? TBA
Please tell me when my Nikkor 200/2.8 arrive? TBA.

These above are the replies from Maxwell this morning from their office.

Shock and horror, isn't it?

Will keep you posted
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:14 pm

Birddog,

They seem almost as helpful as staff in the local Post Office!

Er, um, wedunno!

:)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Onyx on Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:20 pm

Birddog, with answers like that - I can't understand why you persist to do business with Maxwell to fix your NAS* habit. Wouldn't it be more stress free and cost effective to get em from overseas sources?

*Nikon Acquisition Syndrome.
Onyx

Postby JordanP on Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:09 pm

Birddog,

I picked up my 17-55 DX yesterday and it is very sweet - doing some test shots tonight.
Craig
JordanP

Postby Raydar on Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:14 pm

Take it with you tommorow, I will have a look mate :D

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby Glen on Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:17 pm

Birddog,
I hope the coffee was good, doesn't sound like they gave you much else!
Glen

Postby Raydar on Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:19 pm

Did you at least get a donut????

Cheers
Ray
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby birddog114 on Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:42 pm

JordanP wrote:Birddog,

I picked up my 17-55 DX yesterday and it is very sweet - doing some test shots tonight.

JordanP,
When did you order you 17-55Dx?
I have the Nikkor 20-35/2.8 + 17-35/AFS 2.8 and would like to see what's the 17-55dx giving me, so I ordered 3 weeks ago.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:47 pm

Onyx wrote:Birddog, with answers like that - I can't understand why you persist to do business with Maxwell to fix your NAS* habit. Wouldn't it be more stress free and cost effective to get em from overseas sources?

*Nikon Acquisition Syndrome.

I do get some stuff from overseas for myself mainly B&H, but I do ordering two ways (catch fish by two hands) whoever got first, I'll take. Apart from that, Maxwell is our supplier as well.
Have to make them happy so I can squeeze something out of them, and giving back to our community as I did.

Lastly I do need some local support in case something gone wrong.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby JordanP on Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:49 pm

Birddog,

I Ordered the lens about 4 weeks ago. It is very sharp, but I don't have the lenses you have to compare it to so it will be interesting to hear your feedback on it.

I like it alot :)
Craig
JordanP

Postby birddog114 on Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:17 am

JordanP wrote:Birddog,

I Ordered the lens about 4 weeks ago. It is very sharp, but I don't have the lenses you have to compare it to so it will be interesting to hear your feedback on it.

I like it alot :)

I'm sure you'll enjoy it!!!! so far, what I heard is no complaint to its quality, I want to try and see, what's the difference between three of them. BTW I did not ditch the 20-35 + 17-35 coz my dream is Nikon will release a full Frame DSLR in the near future, and it's seem to be on its track, I guess.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:49 am

Birddog114 wrote:BTW I did not ditch the 20-35 + 17-35 coz my dream is Nikon will release a full Frame DSLR in the near future, and it's seem to be on its track, I guess.

I don't see this.

Especially with the new 12MP sensor.

I can see this sensor being taken down market, into the D100 replacement first of all, and then into the D70 Mk2 and its derivatives. The physical sensor sizes are very close, if you hadn't noticed.

For full frame, they would need yet another sensor, and somehow put it in either an F100 or F6 body, unless they can come up with, say, a new digital back for one of those models . While I would certainly like to see it, I don't see them heading down that path.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:52 am

Gary,
It's my dream: a digital back from Nikon!!!!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:02 am

Birddog114 wrote:Gary,

Ok ... it's a dream ... :)

Here's a thought for you: a full frame Nikon would need to come in at around 24MP. That fact alone would impart some performance and design challenges upon Nikon, in order to create a camera that keeps up the standards that are now in place.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:07 am

gstark wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:Gary,

Ok ... it's a dream ... :)

Here's a thought for you: a full frame Nikon would need to come in at around 24MP. That fact alone would impart some performance and design challenges upon Nikon, in order to create a camera that keeps up the standards that are now in place.

Agreed and it's my thought, I knew it's still far away,coz I could not register my name on the D2x yet. But my name is on the first 20 of the new 300/2.8 VR in the NPA's channel and one of my Hongkong sellers.
Birddog114
birddog114

Jordan's new 17-55

Postby Glen on Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:50 pm

Hi Jordan, Would you care to post any more thoughts on your new lens? I think that is a great focal range for our cameras and would love to hear your impressions. Glen
Glen

Postby JordanP on Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:45 am

Glen,

I've been shooting action all weekend so I haven't done much with the lens so far. Took one test shot wide open Sunday (the image is in the "what's on your shopping list?" thred)

My first general impression is that it is nice and sharp and I can't wait to give it a good workout in the portrait arena.

Will share more thoughts as I develop them.
Craig
JordanP

Postby birddog114 on Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:08 am

JordanP,
I'm sure you'll like it, it's the 17-35 in Dx form, it's lighter , bit of smaller in size than the 17-35, but produce a good quality in photography with the DSLR same as the 17-35. I talked to few people and they have no complaint so far.

For portrait, I mainly used the 85/f1.4 or 105/f.2 DC, tack sharp, great bokeh, the 85/f.1.4 is Nikon gem, very useful & nice with wedding shoot in low light, especially in church, when you just want the natural light, no flash. I don't shoot wedding (don't like), I do a lot of funerals for friends and relatives, the 17-35, 85/f1.4 and the 70-200VR are on my three cams most of the time, I hate swapp lens, coz very easy to drop the lens and other bits in hurry and sometime will miss an opportunity. I want the 17-55Dx because I want some more lenght, though I have the Tamron 28-75/ f2.8Di as well

Could not see your photo, please check the link.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:05 am

Birddog114 wrote:I hate swapp lens, coz very easy to drop the lens and other bits in hurry and sometime will miss an opportunity.

For wedding and suc, I made up a bracket that took 2 SLRs on the the one Metz bracket. Basically just a piece of aluminium bar bent into an L at each end. One end was very short, and attached to the existing bracket; the second mirrored the existing bracket in terms of available length.

I could have one body on each "leg", and each body had a different lens. I just wired up a Metz cable with dual sync connectors so they both used the same flash head.

Ahhhh ... film was so much easier to work with!
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby JordanP on Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:22 am

A very creative solution Gary. That's what I love about photographers, they usually find ingenious ways to solve frustrating issues.

Any more you'd like to share Gary?
Craig
JordanP

Return to General Discussion