Please help with my tripod&head decission

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Please help with my tripod&head decission

Postby makario on Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:33 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to all the help from the members this forum, I bought the 70-200 f2.8 IS lens through an online retailer and am awaiting delivery, with that purchase out of the way I am looking to upgrade my flimsy tripod. I have read the thread by dawsey and found lots of useful information, but am hoping the forum can give me tips and advice for my purchase.

I am into landscape (including panos) and portrait photography and at the moment I have a canon 350D and my heaviest lens is/will be the 70-200f2.8 IS lens. In the far future I may go in for the 40D or equivalent. With that in mind I was tending toward the carbon fiber ones as I don’t want to lug too much weight around and I would like to buy once and buy right without breaking the bank as this is just a hobby at the moment.

My budget is around AUD500 - AUD600 for a tripod + Head. Based on my current research I would like the tripod and head to
1) be carbon fiber and have legs that can move independently
2) have both metal and rubber spikes/studs for the feet
3) spirit level and pano capabilities
4) nice to have the ability for the center column to be attached horizontally or inverted
"EDIT" 5) easy to change from portrait to landscape without too many knobs to manuplate.

Any suggestions and personal insights on which tripods I should be looking for?

I have read threads where posters talk about arc plates/swiss plates etc are these not part of the tripod head? would I need them?

I really appreciate all your help.
Cheers
Mak
Canonian
"The Reward is in the doing of it..!!" - Worlds Fastest Indian (2005)
http://www.redbubble.com/people/makro
makario

Re: Please help with my tripod&head decission

Postby AndyL on Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:57 pm

Your requirements read like a Manfrotto 055MF3 with optional spikes. Nice tripod (maybe not the best but the dollar performance ratio seems to be in the sweet spot) - I actually prefer mine to some of the big names just for the lever locks. If you hunt and haggle you might get it for the $500 allotted - extra for the feet. I don't like your chances of getting a remotely decent head for $100 though.

EDIT: BTW, I think a levelling base is of more value than bubbles on the legs.

:)
AndyL

Postby makario on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:40 pm

Actually what I was meaning to say was tripod and head together for anything between 500-600 AUD

I have had a look at the bargains sections and hence the budget
Canonian
makario

Postby Matt. K on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:54 pm

In my opinion Manfrotto are over priced and not good value. Have a look at the Benro line-up. Quite a few forum members have them and are happy with them.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Glen on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:57 pm

Hi Mak, I like your idea of buying once. I think all of what you are asking may be hard in your budget. I would suggest you go to somewhere like http://reallyrightstuff.com/home.html and read all about tripods and ballheads as they have some good articles. Thom Hogan has a good article here: http://www.bythom.com/support.htm Sorry I don't have any suggestion exactly in your range but those articles will give you something to go on. The Benro range is probably closest, but I am guessing. Will be interested to see what you decide.

ps one requirement you could ditch is the centre column period. It is handy for macro, but in other uses adds movement. Where would you prefer you rig to sit, on the top of the tripod which is the top of three joined triangles or on a little flagpole you put on top of that?
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby makario on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:08 pm

Thanks Glen, you raise a good point especially after I have shelled out a fair bit for a 70-200lens, dont want a flagpole to be the weakest link, but at the same time cant break the bank. choices choices choices!

Matt: I am looking at the benro from the bargains sections especially the 3 section one as it looks good for my height (174cms). Also thinking about starting off with a good set of legs and a value for money head and as my IQ improves, upgrade... does contradict my buy onces philoshpy though

Any reviews from members having purchased the benro and head from the bargains section?
Canonian
makario

Postby AndyL on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:53 pm

Matt, that is where our opinions differ. While I respect yours, my opinion of Benro has been soured by my own experience. I did not even think to document the whole sorry mess with photos so I won't harp on about it too much. Briefly, I had a Benro head and tripod (cannot remember which models) a few years back and both were constructed with sub-standard materials, techniques and workmanship. Every time I used them something would go wrong and both found their rightful place in a landfill.

The Manfrotto legs may be over-rated, but to date they have been sound with no issues whatsoever and they are a helluva a lot less bitey on the wallet than the preferred Gitzos. I am not keen on Manfrotto heads.
AndyL

Postby radar on Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:57 am

Mak,

The Benro legs have greatly improved compared to what they were initially. I have a small benro carbon fibre that I use for bushwalking and a larger one that I use when I have the car or when I need to use a bigger lens. The bigger one is aluminium alloy. It is an Induro. It is still manufactured by Benro but to the specs of Induro (Mac Group in USA). Have a look at http://www.indurogear.com/

As for the Benro heads, I have mixed feelings. The one I got for the small tripod works fine for what I do but it would not take too much of a beating. On the larger one, I went for a RRS head, wonderful.

In Australia, you can see the Induro tripods at L&P Photographic in Sydney. I got mine from Adorama as they were not available in Australia at the time.

If I was to get the Benro tripod again, I would. Value for money is really good and I know that they are even better now then when they first came out.

Cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby moz on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:52 am

I have one of the Benro tripod and head setups from Poon, and I'm pretty happy with it. I also have the 70-200/2.8 IS and a 30D, so my rig is probably similar weight to yours. The tripod copes easily with it.

It's possible to use the tripod+head as is for pano shooting, but it's a bit tedious to set it up - you have to use the leg length adjustment to get the tripod exactly level, then tweak the ball head to get the camera exactly level on top of it. It can be done, it's just slow. Portrait orientation is easy but not if you want pano as well - you're rocking the camera over to one side via a slot in the ball socket. Of course, with the 70-200 that's not a problem because the tripod collar rotates.

My solution was to spend $300-$400 more and get an L plate plus pano head from RRS. I have not got around to permanently mounting the pano head on the tripod, I'm still using the dovetail adapter plate that I bought. I have the Pano Elements Package: http://reallyrightstuff.com/pano/04.html

One bonus was that the neoprene pouch from RRS is just the right size for my Olympus 790SW compact camera :)
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Postby makario on Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:15 pm

I have done loads of reading (filled a bag with pebbles to check out the weight including head) and I think at this point I have decided to go for the Benro C-297N6 Carbon Fibre Tripod (3 section). In terms of the head, I was looking at the Benro KB-2 Ballhead. I did a search on the website and came across some horror stories in terms of screws breaking and tripod head build quality of the benro range. With that in mind how is the Benro KB-2 Ballhead? Will it take the weight? it does say max weight of 18kg

Moz: Given that you have a simillar setup to mine any insight into the Benro KB-2 Ballhead?

Anyone with feedback please drop a line.

Thanks
Mak
Canonian
makario

Postby shakey on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:15 am

makario wrote:I have done loads of reading (filled a bag with pebbles to check out the weight including head) and I think at this point I have decided to go for the Benro C-297N6 Carbon Fibre Tripod (3 section). In terms of the head, I was looking at the Benro KB-2 Ballhead. I did a search on the website and came across some horror stories in terms of screws breaking and tripod head build quality of the benro range. With that in mind how is the Benro KB-2 Ballhead? Will it take the weight? it does say max weight of 18kg

Moz: Given that you have a simillar setup to mine any insight into the Benro KB-2 Ballhead?

Anyone with feedback please drop a line.

Thanks
Mak

Got CF Benro legs and am happy with them. Decided to get Markins head rather than Benro though.
shakey

Postby makario on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:09 pm

makario wrote:I was looking at the Benro KB-2 Ballhead. I did a search on the website and came across some horror stories in terms of screws breaking and tripod head build quality of the benro range. With that in mind how is the Benro KB-2 Ballhead? Will it take the weight? it does say max weight of 18kg

In addition to the above, how does one keep the camera level on a ball head tripod?? :?: :?: hope this isnt a daft question. I know that the benro tripod has a spirit level which could be used to level the tripod, but once I place the head (KB2) on the tripod wouldnt the quick release plate which sits on top of the ball also need to be levelled?
Canonian
makario

Postby cyanide on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:53 pm

Several solutions shown here, with perhaps the cheapest being the RRS-337, shown at the bottom of the page...:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/pano/02.html
Rae
All the gear and no idea.
PPOK / Others' pics in my threads OK
cyanide

Postby AndyL on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:45 pm

makario wrote:
makario wrote:I was looking at the Benro KB-2 Ballhead. I did a search on the website and came across some horror stories in terms of screws breaking and tripod head build quality of the benro range. With that in mind how is the Benro KB-2 Ballhead? Will it take the weight? it does say max weight of 18kg

In addition to the above, how does one keep the camera level on a ball head tripod?? :?: :?: hope this isnt a daft question. I know that the benro tripod has a spirit level which could be used to level the tripod, but once I place the head (KB2) on the tripod wouldnt the quick release plate which sits on top of the ball also need to be levelled?

A level on the tripod can be handy in a pinch, but I would suggest a levelling base as a much better solution. Back it with a hot shoe mounted level (<= used to level everything above the ball) and you are good to go.

Cheers
AndyL

Postby makario on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:20 pm

Canonian
makario

Postby AndyL on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:39 pm

Single bubble that mounts 2 ways is fine - the camera only needs to be levelled in a single axis. Mine is Hama 5410 bought from Vanbar.

You'll want to check the accuracy of the level ( I have had a couple of duds) so an easy return or being able to check it before buying it is the go.
AndyL

Postby makario on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:11 pm

Canonian
makario

Postby Matt. K on Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:40 pm

Benro KB2 head is fine. I have been using mine for around 3 years now and no problems holding a 500mm Nikkor. Some problems were evident with earlier models when the locking knobs were over tightend by steriodal he-men. It's a ball head...not a railway sleeper bolt.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Spooky on Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:56 pm

Benro tripods are great, good product at a good price.

The benro ball heads are a very good price but don't rate compared to the RRS ballhead gear. Much more expensive though.
Spooky

Return to General Discussion