Nodal Ninja 5L experience anyone?

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Nodal Ninja 5L experience anyone?

Postby scott s on Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:02 am

does anyone here have any experience using this panorama setup?
Until the dollar tanked, I had really only looked into the RRS kit, but now its out of my price range.
The NN5 looks like the next best thing,
D300, 80-200 F2.8, 50mm F1.4, 18-70 kit, Sigma 14mm F3.5
scott s

Re: Nodal Ninja 5L experience anyone?

Postby big pix on Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:22 am

I have not used the NN 5, but have done a lot of research into pano heads as I was going to replace my KingPano head a while ago.

The head you have chosen, NN 5 is the better of the 2 larger heads on offer, from this company and it was the one I had chosen for my replacement........ looking forward to some pano pixs
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Andyt on Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:07 am

Hi! Scott,

A few weeks ago here a friend took delivery of a NN5L, and we went out and "played with it".

I was particularly interested in having a "hands on" look as I was in the process of deciding which pano setup for myself.

I was impressed with it, but thought it a bit fiddly in operation, slow to attach and remove from tripod without quick release etc.

The build quality -v- $'s was O'K I thought.

In the end, as I intend to do multi-row pano's and my need to have kit that is robust and easy to carry around on foot, assemble quickly etc
and the fact that I use the RRS BH55 head & L brackets swung me away from the NN5. To much hassle & the need for tools to change over when required, also was doubtfull about its ability to operate in our extreme heat with plastic knobs & bits.
(I have had these come away when standing in the sun 40C+, with similar, but yes it does get hot here :) )

This week my RRS Pano rig arrived, I ordered the Ultimate Omni Pro package, AWESOME build quality! I have set it up once, and the strength, the fact that no tools are needed and the sheer speed of assembly made it a joy to behold! :P

Oops! sorry, got carried away there :oops:

I appreciate buying pano gear is such a personel choice, based on need, use & budget but if you, like me, already use RRS gear then you will not be disappointed staying with RRS, just a lot lighter in the hip pocket!!

Having said all that, if your budget won't reach to RRS, then go NN5L, the main thing is to be taking pics!!!

Cheers :cheers:
Andyt

Postby who on Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:52 pm

Great review Andy :wink:

You should almost repost it with a couple of pics in the equipment reviews section to make it a bit easier to find..... and not get lost in the noise of general discussion.

:cheers: :up:
Old D200+extras
who

Postby Andyt on Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:45 pm

who wrote:Great review Andy :wink:

You should almost repost it with a couple of pics in the equipment reviews section to make it a bit easier to find..... and not get lost in the noise of general discussion.

:cheers: :up:

Thanks for that! ...... Yes, I will do a review in a few weeks time when I have some first pics and a bit more time with it, at the moment we are still on the honeymoon! :P
Andyt

Postby madconqueror on Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:33 am

is that the one you are talking about? i have it. i can guide you. where is your pic so that we can help you about your problem.
madconqueror

Return to General Discussion