More info for migrate to DNG

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

More info for migrate to DNG

Postby birddog114 on Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:06 am

Pls. read careful and backup your NEF prior to play, DNG is wonderful and is my real taste,
There's a new standard in the horizon for people mainly taking photos with NEF or RAW, No more loss/ lossless when convert between RAW to PS.
Nikon or other manufacturers will incorporate their gears or making free converter to DNG in the near future, simple with one format + the new Prof. Lexar card reader with embeded EXIF/ data will make alll the photogs smiling.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=10452538
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

More interesting stuff of the new * .DNG

Postby birddog114 on Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:44 am

Dalibor of MRWFormat fame, has had a chance to look at the DNG format and give some interesting comments regarding its completeness (Adobe has always been fairly lax about preserving EXIF information and entirely neglecting the important Makernote section) and its lossless compression, which appears quite good:

http://www.dalibor.cz/support/viewtopic.php?t=173
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Onyx on Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:27 pm

I downloaded the free converter tool from Adobe's site (needed to register - bleh), had a trial run with some NEFs. Converted fine, minimal time required. But fat load of good that did... I couldn't open them in PS7! Looks like you'll need the latest CS or Elements 3 to support the 'dung' format.
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:52 pm

Onyx wrote:I downloaded the free converter tool from Adobe's site (needed to register - bleh), had a trial run with some NEFs. Converted fine, minimal time required. But fat load of good that did... I couldn't open them in PS7! Looks like you'll need the latest CS or Elements 3 to support the 'dung' format.
 PSCS is the way, and a big storage device beside
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:10 pm

Onyx wrote:I downloaded the free converter tool from Adobe's site (needed to register - bleh), had a trial run with some NEFs. Converted fine, minimal time required. But fat load of good that did... I couldn't open them in PS7! Looks like you'll need the latest CS or Elements 3 to support the 'dung' format.

I have tried it in CS and it works fine but you do have to have the latest Camera RAW 2.3!

Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Return to General Discussion