Info on using copyrighted music

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Info on using copyrighted music

Postby phillipb on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:39 pm

I've been asked to produce some slideshows with background music. The images are ok, the author has given permission for them to be used, but I have no idea how to go about getting permission for the music.
I know people use music all the time, specially if it's for personal use without bothering to ask permission, but the intented use of these DVDs would be to eventually sell to the families of the people depicted in them for a very small profit.
The music is likely to be vintage not current and may include songs such as Waltzing Matilda.
Should I be worried about copyright?

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Re: Info on using copyrighted music

Postby photohiker on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:38 am

yes.

Waltzing Matilda might be a good choice though, as it came out of copyright in 2011. You still would need permission from the performers or recording rights owner for any particular rendition.
photohiker

Postby ATJ on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:33 am

There are a number of sites that provide rights free music. A Google search will find them.
ATJ

Postby Matt. K on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:01 pm

I believe that like photographs and literature, after 50 years the copyright lapses. This means that there is a ton of stuff in the public domain. I'd check with the latest copyright laws just to get clarification and set your mind at ease.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby phillipb on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:15 pm

Matt. K wrote:I believe that like photographs and literature, after 50 years the copyright lapses. This means that there is a ton of stuff in the public domain. I'd check with the latest copyright laws just to get clarification and set your mind at ease.

Apparently there is more to it then just copyright for the author of the song but also for the recording artist and the publisher as well.
I've found out that you can buy a yearly licence that covers all of this for around $600 or a 1 off licence for around $160
If you're a wedding videographer this is good value but for a 1 off job is not really worth while.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Return to General Discussion