Crossroads

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Crossroads

Postby aim54x on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:42 am

I am increasingly finding myself at a crossroads in my photographic journey, over the last 8-12 months I have found it increasingly difficult to find the time to make use of the incredible gear that I have accumulated and am starting to feel that I am letting it all go to waste. When I was at uni my D300 was my omnipresent companion, now I have found it is the Nikon J1 and the Olympus EP3 that find their way into my bag most days. Call me lazy, but I am starting to feel that the days of my large heavy DSLR + f/2.8 lenses seem like a distant past and I am struggling to convince myself it is worth taking these cameras around day to day.

The D300 is still at the repair shop, no quote available yet, the S5 Pro in storage, the D80IR hardly makes my bag and the D700 and D60 (water damaged in 2011 - still holding out) languish on my shelf at home. My Nikkor zooms are in storage and I am finding myself using the 35 1.4 and 105VR if and when I take the D700 out and either the 35 1.8 or 40 micro with the D60. I am turning back to film, with the FM2N probably being used as much as the D700 over the last few months.

I am back at uni, having started a PhD back in August 2012 and I cannot see myself finding more time in the near future. I still passionately love photography, but I feel that I have grown stagnant with my images, I seem to be hitting a glass ceiling and have plateaued out.

Is it time to downsize? Is it time to rethink what I am doing?
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Re: Crossroads

Postby Geoff M on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:37 pm

I feel your pain Cameron and that is exactly why I am flirting with the Fuji path right now. It is most liberating to carry a small and beautiful camera that produces great results. Since acquiring the D300 and D700 last year I have maybe shot about 100 frames on the D300 (mainly macro) and about 5000 on the D700. I don't think I will ever move completely away from the DSLR but I do envisage it staying at home a lot more. Who knows, I may rationalise the gear to free up some cash for re-investment into the Fuji camp.

My photography forever evolves, as I am sure it does for most users. We may prefer shooting a particular 'style' or genre one month and get bored of it the next and move onto something else, likewise with the equipment we use to capture the 'moment'. i just look at it as a change in direction, a new learning curve to keep the interest bubbling. Regardless of the equipment used, just make sure you keep on pursuing the hobby and of course, above all that, you enjoy the process that you choose to make images.
Fuji X-Pro1 | X-E1 | X-T1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com

http://xtographer.weebly.com
Geoff M

Crossroads

Postby chrisk on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:16 pm

I ditched the 2.8'a a while ago. The size was too inhibitive and if u want speed more compact primes are what I always turn to. The 50,85 and 24 for me are just absolute joys. I also thought to ditch the zooms but I use them a lot for video and the 24-120 is just such a superbly versatile compact lens I know the day it goes I will want it back.

As for ditching dslr, not for me, not yet anyway. I have also flirted with the idea but the fuji can't keep up with the d800 or d700 in almost any respect.

In a enjoyment if photography sense, the Fuji just makes me smile. Borrow mine for a weekend and take some long walks. You'll be hooked.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Re: Crossroads

Postby surenj on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:47 am

surenj

Return to General Discussion